St George’s, University of London research has found that a drug normally given to osteoporosis sufferers could provide effective pain relief to patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
Bisphosphonates are a group of drugs known to change the structure of bone and are most often prescribed to patients with osteoporosis, a condition characterised by fragile bones.
It is unknown, however, whether these drugs could be used to reduce pain and discomfort for patients with the joint condition osteoarthritis, which causes cartilage damage, bony growths and sore tissue.
The researchers used existing studies to assess the effectiveness of a variety of bisphosphonates in patients suffering from osteoarthritis of the hand, knee, spine and hips.
Of 3832 patients studied, in most cases these drugs showed limited pain relief. However, a few studies did show benefit; the bisphosphonate alendronate was found to be more effective for patients with hip osteoarthritis than existing pain relieving drugs. Moreover, the use of zoledronate and alendronate, specific forms of bisphosphonates, improved pain in patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis at six months —but longer term studies are needed.
Dr Nidhi Sofat, lead researcher, said: “Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis worldwide. It causes damage to bone and cartilage in the joints of affected people. Most treatment is focused around pain relief, as no robust treatments have been discovered that slow down the progression of the disease.
“Our study looked at whether there were any bisphosphonate drugs that have been shown to influence pain and/or disease progression that could be used in osteoarthritis treatment.
“We found that, generally, bisphosphonates are ineffective at managing pain associated with osteoarthritis. But zoledronate and alendronate, which are specific forms of bisphosphonates, do show the potential for effective pain management specifically in patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Bone Loss Meds May be Lowering Ovarian Cancer Risk, Scientists Findon June 23, 2022 at 10:48 am
Medicines used to prevent bone loss may help lower the risk of ovarian cancer according to research by The University of Queensland.
- Global Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market to Reach $14 Billion by 2027on June 21, 2022 at 1:50 am
Global competitiveness and key competitor percentage market shares. -Market presence across multiple geographies - Strong/Active/Niche/Trivial.New York, June 21, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.
- Bisphosphonates: How Long Is Enough?on June 17, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Bisphosphonates are the mainstay of osteoporosis therapy. Extensive clinical evaluation supports their utility in stemming progression of the disease and in reducing fracture risk. In the course ...
- Atypical Femur Fracture Risk versus Fragility Fracture Prevention with Bisphosphonateson June 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Bisphosphonates are effective in reducing hip and osteoporotic fractures. However, concerns about atypical femur fractures have contributed to substantially decreased bisphosphonate use ...
- Medicine to prevent bone loss may help lower risk of ovarian canceron June 15, 2022 at 3:26 pm
A study of tens of thousands of women suggests a common bone density drug could lower the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Bisphosphonates for Osteoporosison May 18, 2022 at 5:01 pm
8 Bisphosphonates reduce fractures by suppressing bone resorption. 12,13 The molecular structure of the bisphosphonates (P-C-P) is analogous to that of the naturally occurring pyrophosphates (P-O ...
- Bisphosphonates Market Is Set to Fly High in Years to Come with Top Countries Data | 129 Report Pageson May 15, 2022 at 8:24 pm
May 16, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "Bisphosphonates Market" Insights 2022 By Types (Alendronate, Ibandronate, Risedronate, Zoledronic Acid), Applications (Metastatic Bone Cancers, Systemic ...
- Bisphosphonates Market: Grow with a High CAGR- Global Industry Analysis, Market Size, Key Manufacturers, Trends, Size, and Forecast: 2022-2031on May 13, 2022 at 5:31 am
Japan, Japan, Fri, 13 May 2022 00:35:48 / Comserve Inc. / -- The report predicts the global bisphosphonates market to grow with a CAGR of 5.9% over the forecast period from 2022-2031. The report ...
- Benefits and risks of osteoporosis drugson March 21, 2012 at 11:47 am
But research has found that bisphosphonates offer only modest benefits in building bone and preventing fractures. And all pose risks. Growing evidence has now linked the drugs to a long list of ...
- Bisphosphonates and the Risk of Atrial Fibrillation in Elderly Women With Osteoporosison September 15, 2011 at 3:03 am
Observations of South Korean scientists have shown a protective effect of bisphosphonates regarding atrial fibrillation in a group of women without previous cardiac accidents and more emphasized ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Little Evidence of Link Between Vitamin K and Osteoarthritis Riskon June 23, 2022 at 9:43 am
Researchers evaluated the causal association between vitamin K and osteoarthritis using Mendelian randomization.
- Radiographic Inflammation, High BMI Increases Women’s Risk for Knee OAon June 23, 2022 at 7:17 am
Researchers assessed whether the presence of inflammation on magnetic resonance imaging differs between men and women who were overweight and obese compared with controls.
- Great news for osteoarthritis patients! New study says walking can ward off knee painon June 22, 2022 at 6:06 am
After four years, those who started off without frequent knee pain and walked for exercise at least 10 times were less likely to experience new, regular bouts of stiffness or aches around their knees ...
- Breast density and MRIs, diet and mental health, genomics and osteoarthritison June 19, 2022 at 10:57 pm
There may be a link between what you eat and your mental health—also, avoiding overtreatment for breast cancer; predicting your risk of osteoarthritis; and whether mammogram results should inform ...
- Walking for Exercise Can Benefit Older Adults With Osteoarthritis, Study Sayson June 17, 2022 at 2:37 pm
Walking as a form of exercise can reduce new frequent knee pain among individuals aged 50 and older with knee osteoarthritis, according to a study published in Arthritis & Rheumatology.
- ARU researcher to conduct study into osteoarthritison June 15, 2022 at 10:41 pm
Dr Jasmine Samvelyan receives funding to investigate impact of osteoarthritis on the joints Dr Jasmine Samvelyan, a Lecturer in Biomedical Science in the School of Medicine at Anglia Ruskin University ...
- How can osteoarthritis affect the gait cycle?on June 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that can cause pain and stiffness in the joints, which can alter the gait cycle. The gait cycle is the pattern of movement that happens when a person walks.
- When our joints start to wear out: What is osteoarthritis and how to treat iton June 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Hyaluronic acid is the main component of synovial fluid. Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis, affecting thousands of people. It is commonly referred to as “wear and tear” of ...
- Endo Inks US Pact For Osteoarthritis Pain Injectableon June 13, 2022 at 7:17 am
TLC BioSciences has entered a commercialization agreement with Endo International plc (NASDAQ: ENDP) for the U.S. rights of TLC599, a proprietary BioSeizer sustained-release injectable in Phase 3 ...
- Senior Living: Don’t let osteoarthritis, degenerative joint disease limit quality of lifeon June 13, 2022 at 6:02 am
More than 32.5 million U.S. adults have osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease most common in older adults. More than 50% of adults older than 65 are affected by osteoarthritis – which is ...