An application that takes augmented reality into the operating room to assist doctors with complex procedures
Tablets and smartphones have recently found a wide range of uses in the healthcare industry, from building image databases for doctors to helping patients better understand their surgical procedures. Taking these mobile technologies one step further, we look at an application that takes augmented reality into the operating room to assist doctors with complex procedures. Imagine if at the touch of a button, your surgeon could map your internal organs and pinpoint the correct blood vessel or location of a tumor, rather than having to rely on memory or constantly refer to images and charts.
A new iPad app from the Fraunhofer Institute for Medical Image Computing MEVIS in Germany is using augmented reality technology to help surgeons remove liver tumors without damaging critical vessels within the organ. Before the surgery takes place, a CT scan is performed on the patient, allowing an accompanying software to identify and image the pathways of blood vessels. This information is then transferred to an iPad, which can be used during the surgery.
The surgeon can navigate the imaged liver to see where the vessels are, and if the camera is turned on and pointed at the exposed liver the app automatically superimposes the vessel structure of the organ onto the live picture. Liver surgery is more than a little dangerous – with so many blood vessels, one wrong cut can lead to disaster. When using augmented reality to pinpoint exactly where the surgeon needs to focus, much of the painstaking identification or guesswork is removed from the procedure.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Hybrid Reality: Connecting The Virtual Officeon May 4, 2021 at 8:33 am
The virtual workplace’s human interaction is improving dramatically. Have you been having video fatigue? If so, you’re not alone, it’s a trending issue in our cyber-world’s reality. Recently I ran ...
- Arvizio Brings Drone Mapped 3D Models to Life in Augmented Realityon May 4, 2021 at 8:00 am
Arvizio today announced the ability to incorporate drone and UAV mapped 3D models and point clouds into multi-user, multi-location ...
- New, interactive Wildfire Ready app demonstrates impact of wildfire-resistance actions in virtual realityon May 4, 2021 at 7:13 am
The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) today launched a new augmented reality mobile device application experience called Wildfire Ready Virtual to bring homeowners inside the risk ...
- 10 Best Augmented Reality Stocks to Buy Nowon May 4, 2021 at 4:41 am
In this article we will take a look at the 10 best augmented reality stocks to buy now. You can skip our detailed analysis of these companies and go directly to the 5 Best Augmented Reality Stocks to ...
- Chicago Bulls, AT&T Use Augmented Reality to Display Statson May 4, 2021 at 12:09 am
The Chicago Bulls, AT&T and Nexus Studios have teamed up to bring a new AR stats feature to the team’s mobile app.
- Augmented Reality Software Market 2020-2026 With Top Key Players Like PTC, Wikitude GmbH, Daqri, Zugara, Blippar, Aurasma, Upskill, Augmateon May 3, 2021 at 9:10 pm
Augmented Reality Software make software for Augmented Reality devices and platforms that is attentive on resolving user interface or business specific problems. Too every so often, Augmented Reality ...
- Augmented Reality Solutions Market size, Witness Highest Growth in near future by 2027 | HoloBuilder, TeamViewer, MojoApps, Upskill, Augment, IrisVRon May 3, 2021 at 8:51 pm
The study report on the global Augmented Reality Solutions Market 2021 gives a detailed and good size analysis which consists in a comprehensive view of the global industry contains the recent trend ...
- Boundaries blur in Frieze New York’s augmented reality art showon May 2, 2021 at 9:00 pm
As some parts of the world inch out of lockdown, and virtual worlds suddenly collide with in-real-life experiences, an exhibition of works in augmented reality (AR) at Frieze New York, taking place at ...
- Augmented reality in healthcare is expected to reach the market value of around US$ 7,311.7 Bn by 2027. | ARCon April 29, 2021 at 9:43 pm
The market for augmented reality in healthcare is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 33.4% from 2020 to 2027 and expected to reach the market value of around US$ 7,311.7 Bn by 2027. The Augmented ...
- Global Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (AR and VR) Market Size, Share, Value, And Competitive Landscape 2021-2026on April 29, 2021 at 5:45 am
Under COVID-19 outbreak globally, this report provides 360 degrees of analysis from supply chain, import and export ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- LiveArea Teams With 3D Product Visualization & AR Leader Threekiton May 4, 2021 at 5:41 am
(NASDAQ: PFSW), announced it has formed a strategic partnership with Threekit, adding 3D product visuals and augmented reality (AR) for commerce to the agency’s customer experience portfolio. Based on ...
- AR and VR are becoming a way of life through retail and fitnesson May 3, 2021 at 12:50 pm
Extended reality (XR) technologies are still mostly related to gaming, entertainment, and social media, but their applications are evolving quickly as more consumers and businesses test out immersive ...
- Apple’s big iPhone 12 deal with Delta shows a path to ARon April 30, 2021 at 8:30 am
Delta Airlines this week dropped the biggest hint of this when it announced deployment of 19,000 iPhone 12s for its in-flight staff. The airline shared some of the ways in which it expects to make use ...
- Man arrested by FBI after buying fully automatic AR-15 rifle at Brockton mallon April 29, 2021 at 12:20 pm
A Stoughton man who admitted cutting the brake lines of an ex-girlfriend’s car was arrested in Brockton Wednesday with a fully automatic AR-15 assault style rifle, a .40 caliber Glock pistol, and 345 ...
- Mark Zuckerberg calls AR glasses "one of the hardest technical challenges of the decade"on April 28, 2021 at 4:14 pm
The Facebook CEO said the potential for the augmented reality market will open up once you can fit a supercomputer onto a pair of glasses.
- Campfire raises $8 million to advance AR/VR for product designon April 27, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Campfire has raised $8 million in funding for its holographic technology that enables AR and VR for enterprise product design.
- Nextech AR Solutions Corp. Announces Details on its Investor Day Eventon April 27, 2021 at 8:30 am
Nextech AR Solutions (“Nextech” or the “Company”) (OTCQB: NEXCF) (NEO: NTAR) (CSE: NTAR) (FSE: N29), reminds you to join us at our virtual 2021 Invest ...
- Why Your Brand Should Be Excited About Using AR Right Nowon April 27, 2021 at 4:00 am
When we talk about augmented reality (AR), we tend to focus on the "new" and the future. But AR already has so much to offer.
- Apple updates Clips app with new AR interactions enabled by LiDAR scanneron April 26, 2021 at 1:21 pm
Apple released a major update to its Clips app. Version 3.1 brings new immersive AR experiences that are enabled through the LiDAR scanner.
- Sketchy report says Apple AR-VR headset behind scheduleon April 26, 2021 at 4:25 am
A sketchy report today says that the rumored Apple headset with combined AR-VR capabilities has fallen behind schedule. The report says ...