Australian researchers have created the first ever interior 3D map of Italy’s iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa by using a breakthrough mobile laser mapping system.
Developed by the CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, the Zebedee technology is a handheld 3D mapping system incorporating a laser scanner that sways on a spring to capture millions of detailed measurements of a site as fast as an operator can walk through it. Specialised software then converts the system’s laser data into a detailed 3D map.
While the tower’s cramped stairs and complex architecture have prevented previous mapping technologies from capturing its interior, Zebedee has enabled the researchers to finally create the first comprehensive 3D map of the entire building.
“This technology is ideal for cultural heritage mapping, which is usually very time consuming and labour intensive. It can often take a whole research team a number of days or weeks to map a site with the accuracy and detail of what we can produce in a few hours,” said Dr Jonathan Roberts, Research Program Leader at CSIRO’s Computational Informatics Division.
“Within 20 minutes we were able to use Zebedee to complete an entire scan of the building’s interior. This allowed us to create a uniquely comprehensive and accurate 3D map of the tower’s structure and composition, including small details in the stairs and stonework.”
During ‘Project Pisa’, CSIRO also collaborated with local Italian scientists from Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna (SSSA) who believe the research will have significant impact on preserving the cultural heritage of the site.
“Our detailed record of the Leaning Tower of Pisa may one day be critical in being able to reconstruct the site if it was to suffer catastrophic damage due to natural disasters such as a fire or an earthquake. Having a detailed 3D model of the world’s most significant cultural heritage sites could also be used to allow people who cannot physically visit these sites to better understand and appreciate their history and architecture,” said Franco Tecchia, Assistant Professor at the PERCRO – Perceptual Robotics lab.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Today's Gospel in Art: Follow me and I will make you fishers of menon November 29, 2021 at 7:18 pm
As Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon, who was called Peter, and his brother Andrew; they were making a cast in the lake with their net, for they were fishermen. And ...
- ON Partners Recruits COO for Antheiaon November 29, 2021 at 6:08 am
Executive search firm ON Partners has assisted in the placement of Zack McGahey as chief operating officer of Antheia, a synthetic biology company enabling next-generation plant-inspired medicines.
- Zebedee: The future of in-game currencieson November 24, 2021 at 5:33 am
MMOs have leveraged in-game currencies since the 90s!" That's true. However, Simon, André, and Christian don't want to recreate Linden Dollars, Minecoins, or Robux. Actually, they want to add ...
- ZEBEDEE Partners with Viker to Bring Blockchain Gaming to the Masseson November 21, 2021 at 12:38 am
HOBOKEN, N.J., Nov. 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- ZEBEDEE, the leading fintech for Bitcoin gaming, and Viker, the studio behind popular trivia and casual mobile games, have partnered to make play to ...
- ZEBEDEE Partners with Viker to Bring Blockchain Gaming to the Masseson November 19, 2021 at 7:36 am
HOBOKEN, N.J., Nov. 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- ZEBEDEE, the leading fintech for Bitcoin gaming, and Viker, the studio behind popular trivia and casual mobile games, have partnered to make play to earn ...
- ZEBEDEE, Viker Partner To Bring Bitcoin Rewards To Mobile Gameson November 18, 2021 at 7:56 am
ZEBEDEE partners with gaming studio Viker to bring bitcoin rewards to Android and iOS mobile games. Wheel of Trivia, Wheel of Crypto, and Balls King are already live on both platforms. The partnership ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Mobile laser mapping system
- Guidance Automation helps Yantra replace Traditional Navigation with 'Natural Feature'on November 29, 2021 at 5:04 am
Yantra replaces Traditional Navigation with ‘Natural Feature’ Technology from Guidance Automation, Reducing Maintenance and Manpower Expenses ...
- Topcon (OTCMKTS:TOPCF) Raised to Buy at Zacks Investment Researchon November 26, 2021 at 10:52 pm
Topcon (OTCMKTS:TOPCF) was upgraded by Zacks Investment Research from a “hold” rating to a “buy” rating in a note issued to investors on Thursday, Zacks.com reports. The brokerage currently has a $19.
- Creating 3D indoor maps with a wearable backpack systemon November 24, 2021 at 4:43 am
In case of an emergency, up-to-date information about the inside of buildings needs to be readily available for first responders. UT researcher Samer Karam developed a wearable mapping system (the ITC ...
- RIEGL USA Signs New OEM Partner Agreementon November 23, 2021 at 9:30 am
RIEGL USA is pleased to announce the addition of Lead’Air, located in Kissimmee, Florida, as a new member to our OEM partner network. Lead’Air, a design engineering firm that focuses on technologies ...
- ABB invests in 3D navigation start-up to guide future AMRson November 22, 2021 at 1:55 am
ABB is taking a stake in a Swiss start-up that has developed a technology that allows mobile robots to navigate autonomously through complex, ...
- HUENIT modular robot assistant with AI visionon November 18, 2021 at 4:17 am
The high power laser(2500mW) with automatic cooling system is capable of cutting and engraving various materials. Use a laser module to create your own artwork. Materials : MDF/Balsa/Paper/Wood ...
- Insights on the Laser Interferometer Global Market to 2026 - Featuring 4D Technology, Apre Instruments and Bruker Among Otherson November 17, 2021 at 11:17 am
The FPNV Positioning Matrix evaluates and categorizes the vendors in the Laser Interferometer Market ... including 4d Technology Corp., Adloptica Optical Systems GmbH, Apre Instruments, Inc ...
- Laser Focused on Soil Healthon November 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
As a farmer, I am laser focused on soil health ... That’s why we’ve adopted a soil health management system. In the 21st century, that can mean checking on it using digital images that ...
- Strategy to optimize sub-nanosecond laser conditioning of DKDP crystalon November 12, 2021 at 6:23 am
In recent years, many scientists have found that the pulse width of conditioned laser (especially in the sub-nanosecond range) has a great influence on the improvement of laser conditioning effects.
- Laser light used to modulate free electrons into qubitson November 10, 2021 at 6:11 am
However, all these quantum systems have their drawbacks ... microscope and intersect it with the electric field of classical laser light. "The resulting matter-wave interferences create a periodic ...