Flexible thin film solar cells that can be produced by roll-to-roll manufacturing are a highly promising route to cheap solar electricity.
Now scientists from Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, have made significant progress in paving the way for the industrialization of flexible, light-weight and low-cost cadmium telluride (CdTe) solar cells on metal foils. They succeeded in increasing their efficiency from below eight to 11.5 percent by doping the cells with copper, as they report in the current issue of “Nature Communications”.
In order to make solar energy widely affordable scientists and engineers all over the world are looking for low-cost production technologies. Flexible thin film solar cells have a huge potential in this regard because they require only a minimum amount of materials and can be manufactured in large quantities by roll-to-roll processing. One such technology relies on cadmium telluride (CdTe) to convert sunlight into electricity. With a current market share that is second only to silicon-based solar cells CdTe cells already today are cheapest in terms of production costs. Grown mainly on rigid glass plates, these so-called superstrate cells have, however, one drawback: they require a transparent supporting material that lets sunlight pass through to reach the light-harvesting CdTe layer, thus limiting the choice of carriers to transparent materials.
The inversion of the solar cell’s multi-layer structure – the so-called substrate configuration – would allow further cost-cuttings by using flexible foils made of, say, metal as supporting material. Sunlight now enters the cell from the other side, without having to pass through the supporting substrate. The problem, though, is that CdTe cells in substrate configuration on metal foil thus far exhibited infamously low efficiencies well below eight percent – a modest comparison to the recently reported record efficiency of 19.6 percent for a lab-scale superstrate CdTe cell on glass. (Commercially available CdTe superstrate modules reach efficiencies of between 11 and 12 percent.)
Copper doping for solar cells
One way to increase the low energy conversion efficiency of substrate CdTe cells is p-type doping of the semiconductor layer with minute amounts of metals such as copper (Cu). This would lead to an increase in the density of “holes” (positive charge carriers) as well as their lifetimes, and thus result in a high photovoltaic power, the amount of sunlight that is turned into electrical energy. A perfect idea – if CdTe weren’t so notoriously hard to dope. “People have tried to dope CdTe cells in substrate configuration before but failed time and again”, explains Ayodhya Nath Tiwari, head of Empa’s laboratory for Thin Films and Photovoltaics.
His team decided to try nonetheless using high-vacuum Cu evaporation onto the CdTe layer with a subsequent heat treatment to allow the Cu atoms to penetrate into the CdTe. They soon realized that the amount of Cu had to be painstakingly controlled: if they used too little, the efficiency wouldn’t improve much; the very same happened if they “over-doped”.
The electronic properties improved significantly, however, when Lukas Kranz, a PhD student in Tiwari’s lab, together with Christina Gretener and Julian Perrenoud fine-tuned the amount of Cu evaporation so that a mono-atomic layer of Cu would be deposited on the CdTe. “Efficiencies increased dramatically, from just under one percent to above 12”, says Kranz. Their best value was 13.6 percent for a CdTe cell grown on glass; on metal foils Tiwari’s team reached efficiencies up to 11.5 percent.
The Latest Bing News on:
- WEB EXTRA: Spacewalk To Prep Space Station For New Solar Panelson March 5, 2021 at 7:22 am
A pair of astronauts aboard the International Space Station conducted a second spacewalk Friday to get the orbiting platform ready for new solar panels.
- Spacewalking astronauts tackle more solar panel advance workon March 5, 2021 at 7:21 am
For the second time this week, a pair of astronauts floated outside Friday to get the International Space Station ready for new solar panels.
- Solar panels: Should you buy or rent?on March 5, 2021 at 5:00 am
If you want to save money on your energy bills or work toward becoming carbon neutral, going with solar power might be right for you. Solar panels absorb sunlight and transform it into renewable ...
- Solar Panel Cleaning Market Size to Record 11.4% CAGR During 2020-2027on March 5, 2021 at 4:44 am
Selbyville, Delaware, According to the research report titled 'Global Solar Panel Cleaning Market Size study, by Technology (Wet Cleaning, Dry Cleaning) by Process, by Mode of Operation by Application ...
- Spacewalking astronauts tackle more solar panel advance work | Charlotte Observeron March 5, 2021 at 4:23 am
A pair of astronauts are spacewalking for the second time this week to get the International Space Station ready for new solar panels.
- Large East Bay solar panel project approvedon March 5, 2021 at 3:19 am
A 350-acre solar panel project in unincorporated north Livermore Valley was approved by the Alameda County Board of Supervisors Thursday.
- Scientists adapt solar energy technology to detect chemical warfare agents and pesticideson March 4, 2021 at 9:14 am
Pervoskite nanocrystals, a key component of emerging solar energy technology, are being used in Australia to develop a new, rapid-response detection mechanism for fumigants, pollutants and nerve ...
- Adapting solar energy technology to detect chemical warfare agents and pesticideson March 4, 2021 at 5:00 am
In a colorful solution to a dangerous problem, Australian scientists are adapting a component from cutting-edge solar cells to design a rapid, light-based detection system for deadly toxins.
- Hair-Raising Moment for Queensland Driver as Loose Solar Panels Come Flying Towards Caron March 4, 2021 at 4:50 am
A motorist narrowly escaped injury, police said, after two solar panels came loose from a pickup traveling on a highway in Bracken Ridge, Queensland.Queensland Police released this footage showing the ...
- The Pentagon successfully managed to orbit a solar panel that collects energy from the Sunon March 3, 2021 at 12:26 am
The solar panel collects energy that could be sent back to Earth, providing a solution to climate change and natural disasters if adopted widely.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Thin film solar cells
- Atom-thick interlayer enables electrical ductility of thin film metalson March 4, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Researchers were able to improve the strength and stability of electronic devices by several orders of magnitude ...
- Slot die coating for 20.83% efficient perovskite thin-film solar cellon March 3, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Scientists in Germany demonstrated a slot die coating process for large-scale production of perovskite thin-film solar cells that achieved a maximum efficiency of 20.83%. Using an additive, and ...
- How this thin, flexible film converts any light into clean energy – Q&Aon March 1, 2021 at 2:04 am
Transparent ORENgE can apparently capture any light and convert it to clean energy in a more efficient way than traditional solar panels.
- Photovoltaic Solar Panel Market to Set Phenomenal Growth from 2021 to 2027 : Yingli Solar, JA Solar, Trina Solaron February 25, 2021 at 12:46 pm
The Photovoltaic Solar Panel Market research study presents insights into the changing competitive landscape and offers clients an accurate picture of the future direction of this industry. (To Know ...
- Researchers discover affordable method for production of transparent solar cellson February 18, 2021 at 10:43 am
But it is quite difficult to develop solar cells that would combine high efficiency with good light transmittance. "Regular thin-film solar cells have a non-transparent metal back contact that ...
- 10 Feb World Record Efficiency Of 26.5% On A Tandem Solar Cell Based On A Flexible CIGS Solar Cellon February 17, 2021 at 6:08 pm
The architecture combines two thin-film solar cell technologies: a top rigid semi-transparent perovskite solar cell with a bottom flexible copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS) cell. This ...
- Thin Film Solar Cells Market Outlook 2024: Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Types and Applicationson February 15, 2021 at 10:33 pm
Feb 16, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- Selbyville, Delaware, Market Study Report LLC has added a new report on Thin Film Solar Cells market that provides a comprehensive review of this industry ...
- Global Thin-Film Solar Cell Market Delivers Top Companies Analysis, Regions and Applications 2024on February 14, 2021 at 11:59 pm
Feb 15, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- The report titled “Global Thin-Film Solar Cell Market: Size, Trends and Forecasts (2020-2024)”, provides an in depth analysis of the global thin-film solar ...
- UK solar innovator planning unique thin film piloton February 12, 2021 at 6:13 am
The company has developed a unique thin-film technology ... than a human hair,” onto which it deposits an active solar cell material via a technique developed in house. Power Roll is currently ...
- Thin Film Photovoltaic Market Strategic Assessment and Forecast Till 2027: FLISOM, D2solar, First Solar, and other Major Key Playerson February 11, 2021 at 2:02 pm
A thin-film photovoltaic cell is made by depositing one or more ... offered by the government of countries such as India for solar energy. The "Global Thin Film Photovoltaic Market Analysis ...