Flexible thin film solar cells that can be produced by roll-to-roll manufacturing are a highly promising route to cheap solar electricity.
Now scientists from Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, have made significant progress in paving the way for the industrialization of flexible, light-weight and low-cost cadmium telluride (CdTe) solar cells on metal foils. They succeeded in increasing their efficiency from below eight to 11.5 percent by doping the cells with copper, as they report in the current issue of “Nature Communications”.
In order to make solar energy widely affordable scientists and engineers all over the world are looking for low-cost production technologies. Flexible thin film solar cells have a huge potential in this regard because they require only a minimum amount of materials and can be manufactured in large quantities by roll-to-roll processing. One such technology relies on cadmium telluride (CdTe) to convert sunlight into electricity. With a current market share that is second only to silicon-based solar cells CdTe cells already today are cheapest in terms of production costs. Grown mainly on rigid glass plates, these so-called superstrate cells have, however, one drawback: they require a transparent supporting material that lets sunlight pass through to reach the light-harvesting CdTe layer, thus limiting the choice of carriers to transparent materials.
The inversion of the solar cell’s multi-layer structure – the so-called substrate configuration – would allow further cost-cuttings by using flexible foils made of, say, metal as supporting material. Sunlight now enters the cell from the other side, without having to pass through the supporting substrate. The problem, though, is that CdTe cells in substrate configuration on metal foil thus far exhibited infamously low efficiencies well below eight percent – a modest comparison to the recently reported record efficiency of 19.6 percent for a lab-scale superstrate CdTe cell on glass. (Commercially available CdTe superstrate modules reach efficiencies of between 11 and 12 percent.)
Copper doping for solar cells
One way to increase the low energy conversion efficiency of substrate CdTe cells is p-type doping of the semiconductor layer with minute amounts of metals such as copper (Cu). This would lead to an increase in the density of “holes” (positive charge carriers) as well as their lifetimes, and thus result in a high photovoltaic power, the amount of sunlight that is turned into electrical energy. A perfect idea – if CdTe weren’t so notoriously hard to dope. “People have tried to dope CdTe cells in substrate configuration before but failed time and again”, explains Ayodhya Nath Tiwari, head of Empa’s laboratory for Thin Films and Photovoltaics.
His team decided to try nonetheless using high-vacuum Cu evaporation onto the CdTe layer with a subsequent heat treatment to allow the Cu atoms to penetrate into the CdTe. They soon realized that the amount of Cu had to be painstakingly controlled: if they used too little, the efficiency wouldn’t improve much; the very same happened if they “over-doped”.
The electronic properties improved significantly, however, when Lukas Kranz, a PhD student in Tiwari’s lab, together with Christina Gretener and Julian Perrenoud fine-tuned the amount of Cu evaporation so that a mono-atomic layer of Cu would be deposited on the CdTe. “Efficiencies increased dramatically, from just under one percent to above 12”, says Kranz. Their best value was 13.6 percent for a CdTe cell grown on glass; on metal foils Tiwari’s team reached efficiencies up to 11.5 percent.
The Latest Bing News on:
- New Discovery Could Make Organic Solar Cells Significantly More Efficienton November 26, 2023 at 2:04 am
Organic dyes accelerate the transport of buffered solar energy. The sun provides vast amounts of energy to Earth, but solar cells always lose some of this energy. This is an obstacle in the use of ...
- Installing solar panels more eco-friendly than planting trees: Studyon November 26, 2023 at 1:19 am
Planting more trees or installing more solar panels? A new study published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology has revealed that if land use is taken into account, installing more solar ...
- Solar panels shared by gov’t at Orealla, Siparutaon November 25, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Senior Finance Minister Dr Ashni Singh, on behalf of President Irfaan Ali, yesterday delivered over 300 solar home energy systems to residents of ...
- Solar panel scams: PCA facing hardships in pursuing probeson November 25, 2023 at 2:31 pm
SC moved against ‘controversial role’ of Alvi Solar panel scams: PCA facing hardships in pursuing probes PTI urges ECP to provide a level playing field Projects with ‘sizeab ...
- Farmers Embrace Dual-Purpose Land Use with Solar Panelson November 25, 2023 at 11:00 am
Agrivoltaics, the dual use of land for both agriculture and solar energy production, is gaining popularity among farmers, offering them an additional income source and promoting sustainable land use.
- This Jackery solar generator with solar panels is 45% off, and worth iton November 25, 2023 at 7:40 am
Power your home, RV, or camping adventures with this Black Friday deal on the Jackery Explorer 1000 power station, which includes two solar panels.
- These remarkable floating solar panels solve one of the biggest problems with sun-based energy — here’s how they workon November 25, 2023 at 3:30 am
The returns can be great. These remarkable floating solar panels solve one of the biggest problems with sun-based energy — here’s how they work first appeared on The Cool Down.
- AI breakthrough could help us build solar panels out of ‘miracle material’, scientists sayon November 24, 2023 at 9:03 am
Now scientists have successfully built a new system that uses artificial intelligence to try and work out how to build those layers better. Instead of picking through video recordings to work out how ...
- LONGi sets a new world record of 33.9% for the efficiency of crystalline silicon-perovskite tandem solar cellson November 24, 2023 at 3:30 am
The world-leading solar technology company, LONGi Green Energy Technology Co., Ltd. (hereafter as "LONGi"), announced today that it has set a new world record of 33.9% for the efficiency of ...
- Inverted perovskite solar cell breaks 25% efficiency recordon November 17, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Northwestern University researchers have raised the standards again for perovskite solar cells with a new development that helped the emerging technology hit new records for efficiency. "Perovskite ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”solar cells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Thin film solar cells
- How to Choose the Right Solar Panel for Your Homeon November 24, 2023 at 6:37 am
Looking to choose the right solar panel for your home? Learn how to select the ideal solar panel and reduce demand charg ...
- New design for kesterite-kesterite tandem solar cells promises 24% efficiencyon November 23, 2023 at 3:40 am
Scientists in China have designed a kesterite-kesterite solar cell with an optimized structure that may potentially achieve efficiencies nearing those of crystalline silicon PV devices. They improved ...
- Solar industry wants more silicon cells to be imported duty-freeon November 14, 2023 at 11:00 am
The U.S. International Trade Commission today held a midterm hearing on Section 201 tariffs on imported crystalline silicon solar cells and panels (CSPV).
- Weekend Read: The fruitful search for other thin filmson November 8, 2023 at 1:09 am
First Solar is not the only cadmium telluride solar manufacturer but it is by far the biggest. It is also the only thin-film company in the list of top 10 solar manufacturers by shipments in the 2022 ...
- Thin-film solar cells: an overviewon November 7, 2023 at 3:41 am
There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.
- Solar panel farms in space could give boundless clean energy supply say scientistson October 31, 2023 at 3:36 am
For the first time, scientists say they have proven that gigantic solar farms in space are possible - meaning a potentially boundless supply of clean energy.
- Emerging Photovoltaic Absorber Materials for Thin Film Solar Cellson October 27, 2023 at 5:04 pm
Keywords: Photovoltaics, Tandem Solar Cells, Indoor PV, Multi-junction Solar Cells, Thin Films Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and ...
- Boffins say their thin film solar cells make space farms viableon October 25, 2023 at 9:16 am
have comparable efficiencies to silicon cells, and CdTe is the preferred material for most ultra-thin solar film products. That said, the Surrey-Swansea study was the first effort to test CdTe ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Thin film solar cells
[google_news title=”” keyword=”thin film solar cells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]