Researchers identify a novel approach to enhance tissue growth
STUDY FINDINGS OFFER PROMISING NEW DIRECTION FOR ORGAN REGENERATION AND TISSUE REPAIR
Because most human tissues do not regenerate spontaneously, advances in tissue repair and organ regeneration could benefit many patients with a wide variety of medical conditions.
Now a research team led by investigators at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) and Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center has identified an entirely new approach to enhance normal tissue growth, a finding that could have widespread therapeutic applications.
Their findings were published on-line this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).
Tissue regeneration is a process that is not fully understood, but previous research has demonstrated that endothelial cells lining the insides of small blood vessels play a key role in tissue growth. It is also known that these endothelial cells generate chemical messengers called epoxyeicosatrienoic acids (EETs), which stimulate blood vessel formation in response to tissue injury.
In this new research, first author Dipak Panigrahy, MD, an investigator in BIDMC’s Center for Vascular Biology Research, and his colleagues wanted to find out how EETs might participate in organ and tissue regeneration. To answer this question, they created seven different mouse models. The models focused on liver, kidney and lung regeneration; wound healing; corneal vascularization; and retinal vascularization.
“We used genetic and pharmacologic tools to manipulate EET levels in the animals to show that EETs play a critical role in accelerating tissue growth, providing the first in vivo demonstration that pharmacological modulation of EETs can affect organ regeneration,” explains Panigrahy, an Instructor in Pathology at Harvard Medical School. Administering synthetic EETs spurred tissue growth in the research models; conversely, lowering EET levels – by either manipulating genes or administering drugs – delayed tissue regeneration.
The team also demonstrated that proteins called soluble epoxide hydrolase (sEH) inhibitors, known to elevate EET levels, promoted liver and lung regeneration. (sEH is the main metabolizing enzyme of EETs.)
“Our results offer a mechanistic rationale for evaluating sEH inhibitors as novel therapeutics for a number of human diseases such as hepatic insufficiency after liver damage and diseases characterized by immature lung development, such as bronchopulmonary dysplasia,” says Panigrahy, adding that the use of topical sEH inhibitors on the skin might also be useful for the acceleration of wound healing.
The researchers suspected that EETs were stimulating tissue regeneration by way of blood vessel formation, specifically by producing vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) to promote vessel growth. As predicted, when the investigators depleted VEGF in the mice, EETs’ effects on organ regeneration disappeared.
“Discovering EETs’ role could be of critical importance to help control the repair of liver, lungs and kidneys,” says senior author Mark Kieran, MD, PhD, of the Division of Pediatric Oncology at Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center. “Since diseases of these organs are a major cause of morbidity and mortality in the North American population, the opportunity to modulate the regeneration of healthy tissue could have significant therapeutic implications for many patients.” These findings may also apply to conditions or physical defects that lead to the loss of specialized cells in other organ systems, such as the nervous system and the immune system.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2030 - Featuring AbbVie, Medtronic and Thermo Fisher Scientific Among Otherson August 27, 2021 at 1:13 am
The "Regenerative Medicine Market by Product, by Material, by Application - Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry ...
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market (2021 to 2030) - by Product, Material, Application and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 26, 2021 at 8:59 pm
The "Regenerative Medicine Market by Product, by Material, by Application - Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2021 - 2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- This FEAR-like FPS looks cool, also reminds us that sea cucumbers can eject their own organs to scare predatorson August 26, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Trepang2 isn't the best game title, if you ask me, because it looks like someone's password, or what I'd type if I quickly needed a throwaway project name in Adobe Premiere. "Trepang" refers to a kind ...
- Ceapro Inc. Enters into Research Collaboration with the Angiogenesis Foundation for Beta Glucan ...on August 23, 2021 at 5:07 am
Research focused on addressing root cause of disease and tissue damage for diseases such as COVID-19 – – Leveraging the unique expertise and methods developed by the Angiogenesis Foundation to conduct ...
- Generations Will Remain Grateful to Kalyan Singh for India's Cultural Regeneration: PM Modion August 21, 2021 at 11:15 am
Generations to come will remain forever grateful to Kalyan Singh for his contributions towards India's cultural regeneration, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said after the demise of the ...
- Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Kalyan Singh passes away: ‘Saddened beyond words,’ says PM Modion August 21, 2021 at 10:35 am
Former Uttar Pradesh CM and former Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh passes away at Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI) in Lucknow, due to sepsis and multi organ failure: ...
- CollPlant Biotechnologies Provides Business Updates and Second Quarter 2021 Financial Resultson August 19, 2021 at 6:00 am
CollPlant (Nasdaq: CLGN), a regenerative and aesthetic medicine company developing innovative technologies and products for tissue regeneration and organ manufacturing, today announced financial ...
- CollPlant Appoints Medical Aesthetics Veteran Alisa Lask to Board of Directorson August 19, 2021 at 5:05 am
CollPlant (Nasdaq: CLGN), a regenerative and aesthetic medicine company developing innovative technologies and products for tissue regeneration and organ manufacturing, announced the appointment of ...
- RUDN: RUDN University doctors found out the role of macrophages in liver regenerationon August 16, 2021 at 9:29 pm
The liver in mammals is the most regenerative internal organ. It can restore the original size from as little as 25% of the preserved tissue. An important role in this process is played by macrophages ...
- What If We Could Cure Solid Cancers Without Scars?on August 16, 2021 at 8:05 am
What a surprise it was to me, then, to have to worry about the personal habits of fibroblasts all day every day in my career. We are getting pretty darned good at curing many cancers that would have ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Soft Tissue Repair Market: Technological Advancements and Launch of New Products are Anticipated to Drive the Marketon August 27, 2021 at 7:07 am
Transparency Market Research (TMR) has published a new report titled, “Soft Tissue Repair Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2018–2026”. According to the ...
- Product Innovations for Restorative Procedures in Outpatient Settings Bolster Growth of Soft Tissue Market, Finds TMRon August 26, 2021 at 5:30 am
The growth of the soft tissue market can be attributed to the demand for soft tissue allografts for a number of restorative and ...
- Cartilage growth gene TRPV4 shows promise for joint repair therapyon August 26, 2021 at 3:19 am
The discovery that the TRPV4 gene regulates cartilage growth could lead to treatments for osteoarthritis and other cartilage diseases.
- Global Soft Tissue Repair Market Share 2021 Industry Size, Top Key Players, Growth Prospects, Trends, Supply Chain and Analysis and Forecast to 2025on August 24, 2021 at 4:20 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry” Global “Soft Tissue Repair Market” ...
- Soft Tissue Repair Market is Awaited to Grow at a high CAGR over the forecast period 2021 and 2027on August 24, 2021 at 1:45 am
In tissue repair, the missing tissue is replaced with granulated tissue, which grows into scar tissue over time. Bleeding, inflammation, proliferation, and tissue re-modelling are the four steps of ...
- Spleen-heart connection in cardiac repair explainedon August 23, 2021 at 8:28 pm
A preclinical study led by researchers at the University of South Florida USF Health has analyzed the interactions of the lipid mediator sphingosine-1-phospha ...
- Preclinical study validates crucial role of the spleen in cardiac repairon August 23, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Although we can survive without a spleen, evidence continues to mount that this abdominal organ plays a more valuable role in our physiological defenses than previously suspected.
- Preclinical study defines the spleen-heart connection in cardiac repairon August 23, 2021 at 8:01 am
A University of South Florida Health (USF Health) preclinical study has analyzed the interactions of the lipid mediator sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) in the spleen and heart during the transition from ...
- Tissue Engineering Market Size To Reach USD 26.11 Billion By 2027 Says Reports And Dataon August 22, 2021 at 11:41 pm
The global Tissue Engineering Market is forecasted to reach USD 26 11 Billion by 2027 according to a new report by Reports and Data The rising chronic condition incidences are expected to drive the ...
- Soft Tissue Repair Market is Expected to Reach US$ 15,500 Mn by 2022-endon August 19, 2021 at 10:54 pm
A new report by Future Market Insights (FMI) anticipates the global soft tissue repair market to exhibit a steady 5.5% CAGR throughout the forecast period (2017-2022). The global market for soft ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
No news articles