Monash University researchers have brought next generation energy storage closer with an engineering first – a graphene-based device that is compact, yet lasts as long as a conventional battery.
Published today in Science, a research team led by Professor Dan Li of the Department of Materials Engineering has developed a completely new strategy to engineer graphene-based supercapacitors (SC), making them viable for widespread use in renewable energy storage, portable electronics and electric vehicles.
SCs are generally made of highly porous carbon impregnated with a liquid electrolyte to transport the electrical charge. Known for their almost indefinite lifespan and the ability to re-charge in seconds, the drawback of existing SCs is their low energy-storage-to-volume ratio – known as energy density. Low energy density of five to eight Watt-hours per litre, means SCs are unfeasibly large or must be re-charged frequently.
Professor Li’s team has created an SC with energy density of 60 Watt-hours per litre – comparable to lead-acid batteries and around 12 times higher than commercially available SCs.
“It has long been a challenge to make SCs smaller, lighter and compact to meet the increasingly demanding needs of many commercial uses,” Professor Li said.
Graphene, which is formed when graphite is broken down into layers one atom thick, is very strong, chemically stable and an excellent conductor of electricity.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Canadian Solar's e-STORAGE to Deliver 1,170 MWh DC of Battery Storage Solutions to the Largest Battery Storage Project in the UKon December 7, 2023 at 5:27 am
STORAGE's cutting-edge battery technology to store generated renewable energy and release it during peak power consumption demand, to support and stabilize the National Grid transmission network.
- Zinc8 appoints industry veteran Swapan Kakumanu as new CFO; engages Blackland Energy Partnerson December 7, 2023 at 3:05 am
Proactive Investors - Zinc8 Energy Solutions (OTC: ZAIRD) has announced the appointment of Swapan Kakumanu as its new chief financial officer, effective December 6, 2023, replacing Jason Birmingham in ...
- Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners takes FID on battery energy storage projecton December 7, 2023 at 3:00 am
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners has taken final investment decision and commenced construction on a 500 MW/1000 MWh energy storage system in Coalburn, Scotland, which will be one of the largest of ...
- Energy storageon December 6, 2023 at 1:41 pm
RE: WFA concerned about energy storage facilities on rural land, Nov. 30. I don’t understand why these energy storage facilities can’t be placed adjacent to existing Hydro One distributions sites such ...
- Property owners push back against plans for energy storage facility near Gravenhurst, Ont.on December 6, 2023 at 1:10 pm
Plans for a proposed battery energy storage system facility near Coopers Falls Road, a half an hour south of Gravenhurst, Ont., have been scrapped after pushback from local property owners. … Continue ...
- Minto council backs Harriston battery energy storage systemon December 6, 2023 at 9:20 am
HARRISTON ‒ Minto council has provided municipal support for a Battery Energy Storage System in Harriston but that doesn't mean it's a done deal.
- Alberta funds thermal energy storage at Lethbridge food processoron December 6, 2023 at 7:19 am
The government said in a news release that PIP Lethbridge will add thermal energy storage at its food processing facility. PIP turns yellow peas into a variety of protein products. The facility opened ...
- The energy storage space is heating up. Here are some of the technologies making a dent.on December 5, 2023 at 1:10 am
Utility Dive took a look at four technologies, and spoke to some of the companies spearheading them, to get a better picture of the emerging energy storage landscape.
- Battery energy storage ‘sooner rather than later’on December 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm
# Utilities Regulation & Competition Authority (URCA) executives yesterday said battery energy storage systems (BESS) to help drive greater renewable energy usage will be here “sooner rather than ...
- Power company says it's halting energy storage plan after backlash, death threaton December 4, 2023 at 7:26 am
A Toronto-based power corporation says it's halting its proposal for an energy storage facility south of Ottawa after facing intense local pushback — including someone uttering a death threat during ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”energy storage” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Exciting industrial opportunities of Holey Super Grapheneon December 3, 2023 at 4:00 pm
These properties enable holey graphene-based materials to surpass the performance of pristine graphene. It enhances the performance of supercapacitors, catalysts, and gas storage systems. The material ...
- The world’s strongest material could be used to make clean drinking wateron November 29, 2023 at 2:59 am
the graphene innovation center at the University of Manchester, which partnered with Khalifa University to establish the RIC2D lab in 2022. Any carbon-based material — including waste from the ...
- Melbourne start-up launches graphene technology supercapacitoron November 24, 2023 at 4:54 am
EnyGy, a Melbourne-based startup with its roots at Monash University and research by Prof. Dan Li and Dr. Yufei Wang, announced the launch of a supercapacitor ...
- Graphene proton transport could revolutionize renewable energyon November 18, 2023 at 12:32 pm
To put graphene-based materials into practice, issues like their long-term stability, scalability, and cost-effectiveness must be resolved. Still, the field of graphene research today sees a ...
- iPhone 16 leak suggests Apple doesn't want a repeat of the iPhone 15 overheating problemon November 16, 2023 at 9:56 pm
Apple could be working on a new Graphene-based heat dissipation solution for the iPhone 16 series. The company might also be planning to use a metal shell for the batteries of the Pro iPhone 16 ...
- Creating optical logic gates from graphene nanoribbonson November 14, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Through new research published in The European Physical Journal D, a team led by Aijin Zhu at Guilin University of Electronic Technology, China, introduced a graphene-based optical logic gate ...
- Gibdock Applies Graphene-based Fouling Release Coatingon November 7, 2023 at 4:00 pm
“In this case, we renewed our relationship with Wilhelmsen Ship Management, which approached us on behalf of the owner to take on our first graphene-based coatings project. Donald M James was ...
- Versarien unveils breakthrough new range graphene-based compoundson November 6, 2023 at 6:51 pm
Versarien PLC has launched an innovative portfolio of graphene and related nanomaterial-based thermoplastic polymer compounds, branded under the name Polygrene. This, it says, is the culmination of ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”graphene-based supercapacitors” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]