Monash University researchers have brought next generation energy storage closer with an engineering first – a graphene-based device that is compact, yet lasts as long as a conventional battery.
Published today in Science, a research team led by Professor Dan Li of the Department of Materials Engineering has developed a completely new strategy to engineer graphene-based supercapacitors (SC), making them viable for widespread use in renewable energy storage, portable electronics and electric vehicles.
SCs are generally made of highly porous carbon impregnated with a liquid electrolyte to transport the electrical charge. Known for their almost indefinite lifespan and the ability to re-charge in seconds, the drawback of existing SCs is their low energy-storage-to-volume ratio – known as energy density. Low energy density of five to eight Watt-hours per litre, means SCs are unfeasibly large or must be re-charged frequently.
Professor Li’s team has created an SC with energy density of 60 Watt-hours per litre – comparable to lead-acid batteries and around 12 times higher than commercially available SCs.
“It has long been a challenge to make SCs smaller, lighter and compact to meet the increasingly demanding needs of many commercial uses,” Professor Li said.
Graphene, which is formed when graphite is broken down into layers one atom thick, is very strong, chemically stable and an excellent conductor of electricity.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Simec Atlantic surges on battery energy storage system contracton May 24, 2022 at 2:37 am
Shares in Simec Atlantis Energy Ltd (SAE) soared after the sustainable energy project developer and owner announced a contract to supply a battery energy storage system (BESS) for ...
- Vistra brings Texas’ largest battery energy storage system onlineon May 24, 2022 at 2:20 am
DeCordova is the second of seven new zero-carbon projects Vistra is bringing online in Texas over the next few years as part of its growing Vistra Zero portfolio.
- Sungrow Supplies India's Largest Battery Energy Storage System Plant with Tata Power Solar Systems Limitedon May 24, 2022 at 1:26 am
Sungrow, the global leading inverter solution supplier for renewables, cooperates with Tata Power Solar Systems Limited, India's largest specialized EPC player, to build India's Largest BESS (Battery ...
- Refusal for battery energy storage facilityon May 24, 2022 at 12:02 am
Plans to install a battery energy storage facility at a site in the Forest of Dean have been turned away. Green Frog Power is behind the application, which concerns land to the northwest of ...
- Texas' largest battery energy storage system onlineon May 23, 2022 at 3:29 pm
A collection of batteries holding enough energy to power 130,000 homes for up to an hour, is now online and connected to the Texas power grid from its location near Granbury.
- The Largest Battery Energy Storage System in the State is Officially Online in North Texason May 23, 2022 at 11:27 am
Vistra Corp announced its battery energy storage facility is officially online. It has the ability to instantly release energy to the power grid.
- Will energy storage live up to the hype?on May 19, 2022 at 5:00 am
Deploying more renewable energy and energy storage in our communities are two ways we can increase the antifragility of the grid. During the first two years of his presidency, Joe Biden has made it ...
- Operators should switch to new 24x7 PPAs, says energy storage groupon May 18, 2022 at 4:19 am
Operators should switch to new power purchase agreements (PPAs) which match green energy production with their consumption 24 hours a day, according to an energy storage body. Data center operators ...
- Solar developer pursues zinc alkaline battery energy storage optionson May 17, 2022 at 7:32 am
Pine Gate Renewables is taking steps to diversify its battery supply for solar-paired and standalone energy storage projects.
- More energy storage is needed to support wind and solar power, MIT study findson May 16, 2022 at 3:38 pm
The authors of the report estimated that the costs of transforming power grids in the Northeast, Southeast, and Texas will range between 21 percent and 36 percent higher than if nothing was done to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- AttractionNaction Optimizes Power Storage With Stackable Graphene Supercapacitor Power Packson May 19, 2022 at 6:28 pm
the company focuses on finding alternative uses for the tons of carbon-based garbage produced daily. And provides stackable graphene supercapacitor power packs and Magnetic Power Cells to replace ...
- AttractionNaction Optimizes Power Storage With Stackable Graphene Supercapacitor Power Packson May 19, 2022 at 5:50 pm
The company is dedicated to offering the safest and most efficient batteryless technology, effectively combining solar energy recharging with graphene supercapacitor power storage May 19, 2022 - ...
- Powering up energy storage: Estonian tech nominated for prestigious prizeon May 17, 2022 at 11:43 pm
Three Estonian scientists have been nominated for European Patent Office (EPO) prize for developing superior carbon-based materials for the energy storage devices known as ultracapacitors. The ...
- Graphene Batteries Appear, Results Questionableon May 12, 2022 at 5:00 pm
but graphene supercapacitors. They’ll be able to recharge in minutes and drive further, allowing the world to transition away from a fossil fuel-based economy. World peace commences about two ...
- Could Graphene by the Answer to the Semiconductor Shortage?on May 12, 2022 at 5:48 am
For further information see the IDTechEx report on Graphene Market & 2D Materials Assessment 2021-2031. Thankfully, there's another possible solution to the chip shortage based on a question few are ...
- New strategy to boost pseudocapacitive performance of micro-supercapacitorson April 28, 2022 at 7:52 am
Graphene-based micro-supercapacitors (EG-MSCs) combine the distinct properties of graphene and the advantages of planar device configuration to maximize charge storage. Therefore, they can provide ...
- Researchers Discover New Approach to Enhance Pseudocapacitive Efficiency of Micro-Supercapacitorson April 28, 2022 at 5:41 am
Graphene-based micro-supercapacitors (EG-MSCs) optimize charge storage by combining the unique features of graphene with the benefits of planar device architecture. As a result, they may make gadgets ...
- Global Graphene Battery Market 2022Global Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Demand, Growth, Opportunities And Forecast 2031on April 28, 2022 at 3:49 am
Continuous R&D activities are ongoing to develop innovative and improved products, such as graphene-based supercapacitors and lithium-sulfur batteries. Due to the characteristics of fast charging ...
- Nanomaterials newson April 25, 2022 at 5:00 pm
If we compare the right to the left hand, we can see these are specular images—that is, like symmetrical shapes reflected in a mirror—and they cannot superimpose on each other. This property ...