Scientists have created a powerful micro-supercapacitor, just nanometres thick, that could help electronics companies develop mobile phones and cameras that are smaller, lighter and thinner than ever before.
The tiny power supply measures less than half a centimetre across and is made from a flexible material, opening up the possibility for wearable electronics.
The research is published in the Royal Society of Chemistry journal Energy & Environmental Science.
A bottleneck in making portable electronic devices like mobile phones even smaller is reducing the size and increasing the flexibility of the power supplies in electronic circuits. Supercapacitors are attractive power supplies because they can store almost as much energy as a battery, with the advantage of high-speed energy discharge. Supercapacitor electrodes are normally made from carbon or conducting polymers, but these can be relatively costly.
A team led by Professor Oliver G Schmidt at the Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research in Dresden (IFW-Dresden) examined the use of manganese dioxide as an alternative electrode material, which is more environmentally friendly and less expensive than the standard materials. Manganese dioxide is not a natural choice for an electrode material because it isn’t very electrically conductive, nor is it naturally flexible or strong. However, the scientists overcame this by vaporising the manganese dioxide using an electron beam and then allowing the gaseous atoms to precipitate into thin, bendy films. They incorporated very thin layers of gold into the films to improve the electrical conductivity of the material.
Tests on the new micro-supercapacitor showed that the tiny, bendy power supply can store more energy and provide more power per unit volume than state-of-the-art supercapacitors.
Dr Chenglin Yan, leader of the research group at IFW-Dresden, said: “Supercapacitors, as a new class of energy device, can store high energy and provide high power, bridging the gap between rechargeable batteries and conventional capacitors. So we thought a micro-supercapacitor would be an important development in the rapid advance of portable consumer electronics, which need small lightweight, flexible micro-scale power sources.
“The device could be applied to many miniaturised technologies, including implantable medical devices and active radio frequency identification (RFID) tags for self-powered miniaturised devices.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Super Micro Computer Incon February 20, 2024 at 4:00 pm
We sell different types of products and services to both investment professionals and individual investors. These products and services are usually sold through license agreements or subscriptions ...
- Super Micro’s stock could hit $1,300, Wall Street’s biggest bull sayson February 20, 2024 at 8:00 am
A year ago, Super Micro Computer Inc.’s stock was trading near $90. Now an analyst sees a pathway to $1,300. Super Micro shares SMCI, -6.78% have come a long way in the past year, closing Friday ...
- Super Micro Short Sellers Notch $1.2 Billion as Shares Fallon February 20, 2024 at 6:56 am
(Bloomberg) -- Super Micro Computer Inc.’s 20% rout Friday was a much-needed win for short sellers facing billions of dollars in losses amid its blistering rally. Most Read from Bloomberg ...
- Why Super Micro’s stock is tanking — and about to snap a nine-day win streakon February 16, 2024 at 5:14 pm
Super Micro Computer Inc.’s monster rally was stalling Friday, as its stock headed for a dramatic drop that would snap its longest winning streak in over seven years. Shares of the server maker ...
- Super Micro's stock has surged 900% in a year. Why BofA is making a 'buy' call.on February 14, 2024 at 11:41 pm
BofA launches coverage of Super Micro shares with bullish rating, as the company's potential may not be fully appreciated by Wall Street Is it too late to buy shares of Super Micro Computer Inc ...
- Micro-workout benefits and expert tips on how to get started in just 20 secondson February 9, 2024 at 8:18 am
No time to work out? Micro-workouts can help change that. Fitting an hour of exercise into your busy day can feel impossible, but proponents of micro-workouts say they offer a way to get exercise ...
- Super Micro shares pop after earnings beat, rosy revenue forecaston January 30, 2024 at 6:57 am
Shares of Super Micro Computer popped after the company handily exceeded estimates and raised its full-year revenue outlook in its fiscal second-quarter earnings report. Super Micro said revenue ...
- Materials for electrochemical capacitorson October 25, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Electrochemical capacitors, also called supercapacitors ... The use of carbon nanotubes has further advanced micro-electrochemical capacitors, enabling flexible and adaptable devices to be ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Micro-supercapacitor” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Save money on jewelry, electronics during this week’s Insider Dealson February 22, 2024 at 10:41 am
You may have seen these for as much as $215, but with this fabulous Insider Deal, you can get a pair for 72% off — just $59.99. This next item does double duty, one part mousepad and one part charger ...
- Samsung says its Galaxy AI tech is expanding to wearable devices soonon February 21, 2024 at 3:16 am
We've written a lot about the various Galaxy AI features that arrived alongside the Galaxy S24 series, but it seems Samsung is just getting started with its AI tech – with its wearable products the ...
- Wearable Devices' Mudra Band Chosen as Best Wearable of CES 2024 by SlashGear.comon February 20, 2024 at 6:35 am
Following the biggest consumer electronics show in the world, Wearable Devices' Mudra Band continues to gain global recognition by leading tech influencers, early adopters and top media sources.
- Mouser adds wearables hubon February 19, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Mouser delves into a multitude of topics, trends, solutions, and products to give engineers the necessary information and equipment to evolve the realm of wearable technology further. With an ...
- India sees surge in wearable shipments in 2023on February 19, 2024 at 1:39 am
Despite a sluggish macro-economy, India's wearable market continues to exhibit characteristics of being in a high-growth phase when shipment surged, coupled with a plethora of new competitors ...
- Wearable market growth expected to slow in 2024 amidst plateauing innovation and inventory pile-upon February 16, 2024 at 8:17 pm
The wearable market is anticipated to witness its slowest growth in 2024 since its inception in 2020, with market analysts predicting a single-digit growth rate following a significant 34% ...
- Harnessing light with hemispherical shellson February 16, 2024 at 9:13 am
This adaptability is particularly advantageous for applications requiring flexible light capture, such as wearable electronics. Hah remarks, “With the improved absorption and omnidirectionality ...
- Revolutionizing tech: NTU's breakthrough in soft electronicson February 15, 2024 at 10:18 am
In the rapidly evolving landscape of technology, one institution stands at the forefront of innovation: Nanyang Technological University (NTU). With its groundbreaking research and development in soft ...
- Samsung Galaxy Ring: Hands-On With The Game-Changing New Wearableon February 12, 2024 at 7:00 am
Samsung is getting deeper into healthcare with its new smart ring. It won't be available for months, but in the meantime, here’s what it looks and feels like.
- Advancing Healthcare With Wearable Ultrasound Technologyon February 10, 2024 at 11:01 am
Development by MIT engineers of a wearable ultrasound sticker, the size of a postage stamp, enables the detection of early signs of acute liver failure.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”wearable electronics” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]