Recognizing people by the way they walk can have numerous applications in the fields of security, leisure or medicine.
Ramon Mollineda, lecturer at the Department of Computing Languages and Systems at the Universitat Jaume I, is working with his team in the development of this new biometric technique that takes into account the way a person walks and his/her silhouette. The technique offers significant advantages as recognition can be done remotely and does not require the cooperation of the subject.
Detecting suspicious behaviour (video surveillance), access control to buildings or to restricted areas and demographic analysis of a population in terms of gender and age range are just some of the possible applications of this technology.
The role of biometrics as an artificial intelligence field is the identification of an individual based on certain physical and non-transferable aspects of his/her body, such as fingerprint or facial recognition. These are just two of the most widely used and developed biometric sources because, as the researcher states, “they are very reliable and difficult to fake, although both require that the user is close to the sensor and collaborates in the recognition process, and we can not always count on that.” Hence the importance of advancing in complementary techniques.
We all have a very personal way of walking. “Although it is easy to manipulate and consciously change, each person walks in a different way,” says Mollineda. “There are experiments in which a person has to recognize familiar people just watching his/her silhouette in motion and the success rate is very high,” he adds. It has to be kept in mind that there are several factors that influence so that each person has a unique way of walking. From a video of the subject walking, the developed system distinguishes the<em>background</em> silhouette and it becomes a sequence of silhouettes, placed one upon the other, resulting in a summary image. This final representation stores all physical appearance and movement of the person walking, thus getting a unique mark for each of them.
The Latest Bing News on:
Recognizing People by the Way They Walk
- Oshkosh veteran recognized by Purple Heart Honor Missionon October 14, 2021 at 10:33 am
Some honors may go unnoticed, but the Purple Heart Honor Mission wants to recognize all the men and women who served and gave a big piece of their lives. One of the ways it's doing so is through the ...
- Does Your Attitude Toward Money Bring You Closer to Christ, or Do You Walk Away Sad?on October 13, 2021 at 2:56 pm
A proper relationship to God puts a proper relationship to money in its proper place, neither denying nor exaggerating its significance.
- How Long Could Brian Laundrie Live on The Run? We Asked a Survivaliston October 8, 2021 at 11:59 am
Friday marks four weeks since the hunt for Gabby Petito’s then-fiance Brian Laundrie began. Which begs the question: How long could he actually survive in the elements on his own? Laundrie’s parents ...
- 2021 Walk to End Alzheimer’s Maui Event Shifting to Walk from Home, Oct. 16on October 4, 2021 at 10:59 am
Alzheimer’s Association of Maui, 2021 walk flyer. The annual Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s – Maui is shifting to a walk from home celebration on Saturday, Oct. 16 and will feature an ...
- Every Child Matters Walk taking place Thursdayon September 28, 2021 at 8:18 am
Walkers, all carrying orange glow sticks and wearing orange wrist bands, will then proceed along the approximately 1.3-mile walk ... Day as a way to educate and promote awareness of the impact ...
- ‘RECOVERY IS REAL’: Annual walk promotes a message of hope for those suffering from addictionon September 28, 2021 at 4:13 am
25, at the seventh annual Recovery Walk. More than 100 people ... “I love the fact that people are excited to be here because I think it shows they’re getting the message that recovery is ...
- A Charismatic Match-up Between Two Feathered Friendson September 23, 2021 at 9:02 pm
People felt ... the prey and then they strike, or they will wait and walk slowly within the same area. As they wait for prey to strike at the right time. I wouldn’t say it’s something intimidating or ...
- You're invited to take steps to raise awareness about human traffickingon September 21, 2021 at 11:26 am
WELL HAPPENING NEXT MONTH YOU ARE INVITED TO JOIN PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE GLOBE AND WALK TO RAISE ... WOMEN DON’T EVEN RECOGNIZE TH’Y'RE IN A TRAFFICKING SITUATION AND THEY DON’T STEP FORWARD ...
- Awareness walk hosted to recognize 1 year since Megan Gallagher’s disappearanceon September 19, 2021 at 3:32 pm
The missing 30-year-old’s father, Brian Gallagher, hoped to bring awareness to Missing and Murdered Women, Girls and 2-Spirit People (MMIWG2S) with the walk ... “The way that I have ...
- Why your favorite TV shows are getting cancelledon September 19, 2021 at 4:09 am
“The Walking Dead.” “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.” “NCIS: New Orleans.” They all are ... that the American people’s pitchforks will soon come out in some way, shape, or form ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Recognizing People by the Way They Walk
The Latest Bing News on:
- PSA to meet ID registration goal—NEDAon October 15, 2021 at 12:46 am
The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) is on track to achieve the National ID registration target of 50 million by the end of the year, the (NEDA) said. Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Karl ...
- Bhutan to begin biometric capture for national digital ID programon October 14, 2021 at 3:01 pm
According to the state broadcaster, the biometrics-backed digital ID project is intended to enable access to a range of government services online.
- MOSIP announces University of the Philippines digital ID course, building provider networkon October 14, 2021 at 2:41 pm
MOSIP is also calling on providers of ABIS and biometric SDKs to participate in the organization’s self-assessment compliance program.
- The 3 Best Biometric Stocks for a Future Dependent on Digital IDson October 14, 2021 at 4:39 am
These biometric stocks have the potential to play a pivotal role in what we know as the 'new normal' of physical and digital security.
- White House Wants to Know How Biometrics Like Facial Recognition Are Being Usedon October 12, 2021 at 10:58 am
A request for comments is polling governments and the private sector on the full breadth of uses, whether it’s IDing faces or predicting malintent.
- Biometrics Market Size 2021| Application and Future Forecast by 2027on October 11, 2021 at 8:59 pm
Biometrics Market Size is set to surpass USD 45 billion by 2027, according to a new research report by Global Market Insights Inc. Biometrics market has already established its significant presence ...
- Biometrics and Consumer Authentication: This Week’s Top Storieson October 9, 2021 at 10:55 am
Biometrics and consumer authentication figure prominently as key themes in this week's roundup of Mobile ID top stories.
- Europe Says NO to Remote Biometric Identificationon October 9, 2021 at 12:00 am
AI-powered remote surveillance technologies such as facial recognition have major implications for fundamental rights and ...
- Global Biometric Authentication & Identification Market 2021 Key Players Insights, Growth Challenges and Forecast to 2027on October 4, 2021 at 7:26 pm
MarketsandResearch.biz has announced a new market research study on Global Biometric Authentication & Identification Market 2021 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 which ...
- Preventing wrongful imprisonment: The importance of introducing digitalised biometric identificationon October 4, 2021 at 1:21 pm
Zahir Uddin is the vice-principal of a madrassa with no criminal record. He was shocked when one fine day the police raided his house and harassed him.