Funding agencies allocate funds for scientific research mainly based on peer-review of research proposals.
In 2010, more than 15,000 researchers peer-reviewed more than 55,000 proposals. I think we can all agree that the current process is expensive and time-consuming. Now, the authors of a new article propose a new system that they believe will save us lots of time, money and trouble. The article is called “Collective allocation of science funding: from funding agencies to scientific agency,” by Johan Bollen (of the Twitter-predicts-stock market fame), David Crandall, Damion Junk, Ying Ding and Katy Börner.
Basically, the authors would like to give each scientist (they focus on the U.S., but I suppose the system would work in other countries) a certain amount of money for research, of which she or he will have to send a percentage to other scientists who do research they consider funding-worthy. Every researcher gets the same amount, no matter which institute she resides in, from the government. However, the sum she gets from other researchers will depend on her skills and performance as a researcher. The authors give the following example; suppose every senior researcher in the US gets 100,000$ each year and a certain researcher received, in addition, 200,000$ from other researchers. She’s obligated to give 50%, or 150,000$ to other researchers, and save the rest for her own research. It’ll save lots of time and money that are now spent on writing proposals and peer-reviewing.
The Latest Bing News on:
New funding system
- Rita & Alex Hillman Foundation Announces Its Largest-Ever Funding Opportunity for Early ...on January 27, 2021 at 12:02 am
The Rita & Alex Hillman Foundation (RAHF) today released two Requests for Proposals (RFP) – one for grant funding through the Hillman Emergent Innovation (HEI) Program and another for the Hillman ...
- Humanetics Corporation Receives Funding From Department of Defense to Test Drug Against COVID-19on January 26, 2021 at 11:58 pm
Humanetics Corporation (Humanetics) announced today that it has received funding from the U.S. Department of Defense to conduct a series of studies with its new drug candidate, BIO 300. BIO 300 is ...
- Choi makes case for UM funding in meeting with state lawmakerson January 26, 2021 at 7:00 pm
Choi listed accomplishments by the system during the previous year while requesting $438 million, which he said is on par with the current year’s funding. That includes $10 mill ...
- Funding for Data System, Strategy in Newsom Budgeton January 26, 2021 at 3:32 pm
Gov. Gavin Newsom’s proposed 2021-2022 budget includes funding for developing and implementing the Cradle-to-Career Data System and the Statewide Data Strategy released last year. The former, in ...
- Marshall County Commission to discuss new radio systemon January 26, 2021 at 2:16 am
Guntersville is now the latest city to approve funding for a new radio system that will be used across Marshall County.
- Funding Obtained for Pojoaque Water System in New Mexicoon January 25, 2021 at 8:41 am
Sufficient funding has been obtained to complete the first phase of the Aamodt settlement agreement water infrastructure in the Pojoaque Basin in Santa Fe ...
- Sano Genetics, a startup helping with Long COVID research, raises £2.5M in seed fundingon January 25, 2021 at 2:04 am
Sano Genetics, a startup with a broad mission to support personalised medicine research by increasing participation in clinical trials, has raised £2.5 million in seed funding. The round is led by ...
- UToledo awarded Department of Defense funding to advance promising new chemotherapyon January 24, 2021 at 9:04 pm
The project relies on a unique cell death pathway to overcome the multidrug resistance that often characterizes triple negative breast cancer.
- Op-ed | Mayor de Blasio Must Reauthorize Emergency Funding for Hungry New Yorkerson January 24, 2021 at 9:08 am
New York City will be hurting for a long time. We have lost family, friends, neighbors and loved ones in the fight against COVID-19 and its many rippling ...
- Puerto Rico's new governor seeks 'equality' in funding for embattled islandon January 22, 2021 at 5:12 am
From multiple botched disaster responses to the territory's exclusion from antipoverty programs, there's a lot Congress and the administration can do.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
New funding system
The Latest Bing News on:
- UB spinoff Cytocybernetics receives funding to accelerate COVID-19 drug screeningon January 26, 2021 at 9:39 pm
For this work, the company has been awarded $44,990 in supplemental COVID-19 funds through the National Science Foundation’s Small Business ... have connected growing startups like Cytocybernetics ...
- Consider This: Funding of the Buddy Holly Hallon January 26, 2021 at 8:22 pm
One of the largest and most exciting projects in Lubbock history has come to fruition. Construction of the Buddy Holly Hall of performing arts and sciences is complete and open for business.
- Basic Science Helped Us Win World War II. It’s Also Why We’ll Defeat COVID-19on January 26, 2021 at 3:21 pm
President Biden has announced a “full-scale wartime effort” to vaccinate the American people against the coronavirus. This is hardly the first time our struggle against the pandemic has been likened ...
- Catalytic lands funding from the CIA's VC armon January 26, 2021 at 12:15 pm
Catalytic announced Tuesday that it raised an undisclosed amount of funding from In-Q-Tel, a nonprofit VC firm funded by the CIA. The startup will use the funding to better help federal, state and ...
- Hell's Kitchen Research Lab Gets $6M Grant From Cityon January 26, 2021 at 11:42 am
The New York Stem Cell Foundation will use the funds to expand its West 54th Street labs to research new medical treatments.
- Faculty Research in STEM and Deaf Studies Among New Federally-Funded Grants in 2020on January 26, 2021 at 9:44 am
These newly-funded projects by NIH and NSF are excellent examples of the kinds of innovative, ambitious research being conducted by our faculty at BU Wheelock,“ says Dr. Nate Jones, chair of BU ...
- Brown University gets $25 million from anonymous donor for brain science researchon January 26, 2021 at 8:55 am
PROVIDENCE - Brown University has received a $25 million gift to research brain science. Brown says the gift, from an anonymous donor, will support research in computational brain science, enabling ...
- Fighting racial inequity by funding Black scientistson January 26, 2021 at 8:07 am
In a paper in Cell, a network of bioengineering academics review data on racial inequities in research funding, and suggest ways to address disparities in allocating support.
- Esme Learning Solutions Secures $7.5 Million in Series A Fundingon January 26, 2021 at 6:42 am
Esme Learning Solutions, a leading digital learning platform, today announced the close of a $7.5 million Series A financing round led by Adit Ventures, a venture capital firm with a technology ...
- A call to address racial disparities in research fundingon January 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm
In a new paper published in the journal Cell on Tuesday, a group of 19 researchers, representing 15 universities, is calling upon the National Institutes of Health and other funding agencies to ...