In a discovery that could have major implications for the aerospace, automotive and electronics industries, scientists have found a way to dramatically reduce the corrosion rate of lightweight wonder metal magnesium: adding arsenic.
Weighing in at two thirds less than aluminium, magnesium is the lightest structural metal. It has many potential industrial applications, but uptake is severely restricted by its poor resistance to corrosion. Identification of methods to restrict magnesium corrosion is the first step in engineering such technology into functional alloys.
For the first time, a group of researchers, led by Monash University’s Associate Professor Nick Birbilis, have created a magnesium alloy with significantly reduced corrosion rates by adding a cathodic poison – arsenic.
They found that the addition of very low levels of arsenic to magnesium retards the corrosion reaction by effectively ‘poisoning’ the reaction before it completes.
Once magnesium is available in a more stainless, or corrosion-resistant, form wider use will lead to significant weight and energy savings in transportation industries. It has been the subject of significant research efforts concentrating on developing light metals.
Associate Professor Birbilis, of the Monash Department of Materials Engineering, said the discovery would contribute to the birth of more stainless magnesium products by exploiting cathodic poisons.
“This is a very important and timely finding. In an era of light-weighting for energy and emissions reductions, there is a great demand for magnesium alloys in everything from portable electronics to air and land transportation,” Associate Professor Birbilis said
The Latest Bing News on:
- Drink pure and live healthy this summer—Check out these features before choosing a water purifieron February 27, 2024 at 7:03 am
Planning to embrace a healthy lifestyle this summer? You not only need to have a balanced diet but also clean drinking water. Look no further — you can now live healthy and drink pure with LG's ...
- What to Know About Magnesium, and How to Add It Safely to Your Dieton February 26, 2024 at 9:07 am
Magnesium is a mineral that helps the human body work properly. When we don't get enough of it, we may feel the consequences. Magnesium deficiency can contribute to nervousness and fatigue.
- Health Benefits of Magnesium Oxideon February 26, 2024 at 7:00 am
Magnesium oxide is one of the most common types of magnesium used in dietary supplements. Though it has lower bioavailability compared to other forms of magnesium, it may benefit health in several ...
- Top 8 Best Magnesium Supplements for Restless Legs in 2024on February 26, 2024 at 3:25 am
While the precise origin of RLS remains undetermined, studies propose that a lack of magnesium could contribute to its onset. Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a vital role in many ...
- Best Magnesium Supplements Of 2024, According To Expertson February 25, 2024 at 10:24 pm
A mineral found throughout the body, magnesium is an essential part of multiple processes, including protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood pressure regulation and glucose control.
- Health Benefits of Magnesium Oxideon February 25, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Though it has lower bioavailability compared to other forms of magnesium, it may benefit health in several ways, including relieving headaches and easing constipation. Here’s everything you need ...
- Top 4 Best Magnesium Supplements for Elderly in 2024on February 23, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in maintaining our body’s health. It is involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body, including muscle and nerve function ...
- Magnesium For Anxiety: Does It Work?on February 23, 2024 at 1:16 am
One purported remedy? Magnesium. If you’re wondering whether magnesium might help dial down your anxiety—even a bit—read on to see what experts have to say about whether magnesium can help ...
- Top 6 Best Magnesium Supplements for Immune System in 2024on February 21, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Magnesium is a crucial mineral that is instrumental in preserving our general health and well-being. It oversees various body functions, such as nerve and muscle operations, regulation of blood ...
- Melatonin is a better sleep aid than magnesium, expert says—but neither supplement is a cure-allon February 11, 2024 at 8:00 am
Two supplements stand out as popular means for Americans to use with the goal of good quality sleep: magnesium and melatonin. But is one more effective than the other? Between the two, a melatonin ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Stainless magnesium” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- A Miracle Titanium Material Could Make Cars and Buildings Impossibly Toughon February 29, 2024 at 7:25 am
Australia have created a 3D-printed metamaterial that’s 50 percent stronger than the cast magnesium alloy WE54 used in the aerospace industry (which is of a similar density). The team overcame a ...
- Global Primary Magnesium Market Valuation to Surpass USD 8,028.0 Million By 2032: Astute Analyticaon February 28, 2024 at 3:30 am
As per Astute Analytica’s recent published report, market players are looking into creating a secondary magnesium system that emphasizes recyclability. This will lower their dependence on raw ...
- Factors Affecting the Price of Magnesiumon February 27, 2024 at 8:02 pm
Macroeconomic factors are another important aspect affecting magnesium prices. The overall state of the global economy, monetary policy, trade policy, etc. will all have an impact on magnesium prices.
- Aluminum-magnesium laminates provide promising materials for aerospace and automotive industrieson February 27, 2024 at 9:36 am
Magnesium alloys are prized in aerospace, automotive, and electronics for their lightness and strength, but they are limited by poor corrosion resistance. To overcome this, researchers have developed ...
- A 3D-printed titanium ‘metamaterial’ design solved a longtime engineering issueon February 26, 2024 at 11:00 am
Using a common titanium alloy, engineers manufactured latticelike structures composed of hollow struts—each imbued with an additional, thin band running throughout it. According to Ma Qian, an RMIT ...
- New Titanium “Metamaterial” Has Supernatural Strengthon February 26, 2024 at 7:34 am
A new 3D printed “metamaterial” that apparently has levels of strength for weight that appear to supersede those in nature and most of the manufacturing world has been created by a team from RMIT ...
- Australian scientists 3D print titanium structure with supernatural strengthon February 26, 2024 at 6:47 am
Researchers were able to build a new material that's 50% stronger than strongest alloy known to man by laser powder bed fusion approach.
- 3D-printed titanium lattice is 50% stronger than WE54 aerospace alloyon February 26, 2024 at 12:35 am
A new type of 3D-printed lattice structure has surprised researchers with its strength and light weight. It uses two different lattice structures merged together to eliminate the weak points normally ...
- Global Metal Magnesium Market Size is Projected to Reach USD 6.29 billion by 2031, Growing at a CAGR of 4.9%: Straits Researchon February 16, 2024 at 5:31 am
Metal Magnesium Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By End-User Industry (Aluminum Alloys, Die-Casting, Iron and Steel, Metal Reduction) and By Region (North America, Europe, APAC, Middle East ...
- Alloy Wheels Market Size to Grow USD 31.6 Billion by 2031 at a CAGR of 6.2% | Valuates Reportson February 15, 2024 at 9:05 am
Alloy Wheels Market Size, Share, Competitive Landscape and Trend Analysis Report by Material Type (Aluminum Alloy, Titanium Alloy, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”magnesium alloys” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]