Allows a pilot to control a UAV while wearing the VR headset
Ever since the first developer kits for the Oculus Rift began shipping, a number of creative types have been combining the VR goggles with other devices to form entirely new experiences. While most of these have done a good job of immersing users in virtual environments, the latest project from Intuitive Aerial could provide a unique perspective on the real world. The project, called Oculus Rift FPV, allows a pilot to control a UAV while wearing the VR headset, giving them a 360-degree, bird’s-eye view without ever leaving the ground.
Intuitive Aerial, a Swedish company specializing in airborne camera rigs, outfitted one of its own Black Armored Drones with a makeshift wooden rig, carrying a laptop and two cameras arranged side-by-side. The laptop streams footage from the webcams wirelessly to another computer on the ground, which is connected to an Oculus Rift, allowing the wearer to essentially see from the aircraft’s viewpoint. The live footage has a latency of 120 ms, which is low enough for a person to effectively control the drone with the goggles on.
At the moment, it’s a fairly basic system, but the designers plan to streamline the design and add a host of new features. Currently, the connection range between the two computers is 50 – 100 m (164 – 328 ft), but higher-grade equipment could extend this by over ten times as much, according to the developers. In the future, the team also hopes to remove the on-board laptop from the equation entirely in favor of a smaller electronic unit running a customized program, which would reduce the latency even further.
The Latest Bing News on:
- 'Traveling While Black' Virtual Reality Exhibit Opens In DMV Areaon January 18, 2022 at 3:50 pm
There’s a new virtual reality experience at the McLean Community Center (MCC) in Virginia [https://legacy.travelnoire.com/brun-black-owned-cigar-whiskey-lounge-rva/] designed to educate and serve as a ...
- Virtual reality is no match for the real thingon January 18, 2022 at 8:09 am
Playing away | BBC brouhaha ...
- How to Enhance Soft Skills Training with Virtual Realityon January 18, 2022 at 4:10 am
With today’s global market, companies more than ever are facing an ever-growing skills gap. Soft skills are in demand and are often hard to educate, implement, and even harder to monitor.
- ‘Virtual reality is genuine reality’ so embrace it, says US philosopheron January 17, 2022 at 7:00 am
In his book Reality+ David Chalmers says the material world may lose its allure as VR technology advances ...
- Walmart Plans Launch Of NFTs Cryptocurrency And Tokens As It Dives Into The Metaverse And Virtual Realityon January 17, 2022 at 6:32 am
Walmart plans to sell virtual goods, ranging the gamut from electronics, home decorations, children's toys and games, sporting goods, personal care products to physical fitness training services and ...
- Can Virtual Reality help with back pain?on January 16, 2022 at 11:39 pm
Even before the pandemic, the field of Virtual Reality (VR) was brimming with jobs and new possibilities built upon decades of technical work.
- Virtual Reality Content Production Market See Huge Growth for New Normal| GoPro, Ricoh, Facebookon January 16, 2022 at 7:10 am
The Global Virtual Reality Content Production Market is expected to grow at a significant CAGR of 77% by 2028.Virtual reality content creation tools are ...
- The 5 Biggest Virtual, Augmented, And Mixed Reality Trends In 2022on January 16, 2022 at 5:58 am
Hi, Thank you for reading my latest article on The 5 Biggest Virtual, Augmented, And Mixed Reality Trends In 2022! Here at LinkedIn and at Forbes I regularly write about management and technology ...
- D-Day: Under fire at Omaha Beach experienced in virtual reality. Documentarian's passion projecton January 15, 2022 at 2:00 am
Experiencing the Normandy landing, knee deep off the beach facing German fire, courtesy of a virtual reality program created by RI filmmaker Tim Gray.
- Houston's new virtual reality space experience is so realistic it made Bun B, NASA astronauts cryon January 14, 2022 at 11:16 am
Virtual reality experiences get a bad rap. Are they art? Are they events? Are they worth the astronomically high ticket prices? “The Infinite,” a 60-minute immersive virtual and augmented reality ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Using VR to fly UAVs
- Autel Evo Lite+ reviewon January 16, 2022 at 2:25 am
In August 2021, Autel threw DJI something of a curveball when it announced four new drones in two new ... Autel Sky application. In use, it is similar to the DJI Fly application and provides ...
- New Military Tech Lets One Person Fly Swarm of 130 Droneson January 13, 2022 at 2:01 pm
The US Department of Defense has helped develop technology that allows a single person to control 130 drones for military operations.
- PUBG Update 15.2 Free-to-Play Patch Notes for January 12on January 11, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Drones will ... The Drone will fly back to the location the player first recalled it. When the recall is in progress, the recall will be stopped if the player attempts to use the Drone Tablet.
- Russian Drone Can Lift 142 Phantom 3 Droneson January 8, 2022 at 4:00 pm
While the SKYF drone is made by a private Russian company, it is one of the largest drones we’ve ever seen. Able to lift 400 pounds (a Phantom 3 weighs 2.8 pounds) and can fly for eight hours ...
- Changing the Construction Landscape: How Technology is Improving Workflowson January 6, 2022 at 11:37 am
There has been a surge in use of remotely piloted drones, augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR), virtual reality (VR) technology ... Drones can fly over the site and provide a time-lapse ...
- Drugs by drone: Good idea?on January 5, 2022 at 9:39 am
Drone regulations will only allow drones to fly in particular areas ... CVS and UPS started in May 2020 and are using Matternet's M2 drones with authorization from the Federal Aviation Association ...
- Autel Targets DJI With Slimmed-Down Evo Droneson January 4, 2022 at 7:29 pm
Autel's other new aircraft, the Evo Lite, is closer in size to the DJI Mavic Air 2 and Air 2S drones. That means you will have to deal with FAA registration in order to fly it—the aircraft comes ...
- State of the Gadget Unionon January 3, 2022 at 2:21 pm
Want to use a smart thermostat ... Most commercial drones now offer a way to connect the live stream to goggles or a headset. This allows you to fly from the perspective of the drone, or FPV.
- Want to Pinpoint Gas Leaks? Fly Surveillance With Tiny Droneson January 2, 2022 at 3:59 pm
The drone swarm carries out its task using bio ... having them fly in a swarm allows them to more quickly localize a source of leaking gas with more accuracy, de Croon said. For their work, ...
- Best drones 2022: Beginner and advanced options to shoot 4K video and capture high-resolution photoson December 31, 2021 at 4:00 pm
What's more, professionals can make use of ... FPV pack with VR goggles and the physical remote for just £549. When trying to figure out what we believe are the best drones currently available ...