A new approach allows “smart” machines to understand sounds other than speech
Robots can already discern and react to speech thanks to voice-recognition software such as the iPhone’s Siri. But “smart” machines still struggle with most other sounds. “In some sense, it’s almost a simpler problem, but there hasn’t been a lot of work on noise in the environment,” says roboticist Joseph Romano of Rethink Robotics in Boston. “It hasn’t been in the loop for robotic feedback.”
Now Romano is letting robots listen in on more than our conversations. He and his collaborators at the University of Pennsylvania have created a software tool called ROAR (short for robotic operating system open-source audio recognizer) that allows roboticists to train machines to respond to a much wider range of sounds. As described in a recent issue of Autonomous Robots, the tool’s chief requirement is a microphone.
To begin training, the robot’s microphone first captures ambient sounds, which ROAR scrubs of noisy static. Next the operator teaches ROAR to recognize key sounds by repeatedly performing a specific action—such as shutting a door or setting off a smartphone alarm—and tagging the unique audio signature while the robot listens. Finally, the program creates a general model of the sound of each action from that set of training clips.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Smart tech companies are looking to older users for inspiration and opportunityon August 9, 2022 at 4:09 am
In fact, she envisions a world in which technology, in the not-too-distant future, will take into account older adults in the design process as well as solve some of the biggest challenges in aging, ...
- Smart Star Gazing: The Highest-Tech Telescopes for Exploring the Universeon August 9, 2022 at 3:49 am
Here are our picks for smart telescopes that will leave you starry-eyed. With a tap of its app, the eQuinox recommends the most spectacular targets, and launches deep-space observations in minutes. As ...
- Smart thinkingon August 9, 2022 at 2:00 am
With bills on the rise, you can monitor your electricity consumption with an Electric Ireland smart meter plan ...
- Smart Coffee Machines Market Evolving Technology, Trends and Demand Boosting the Growth 2022 to 2028on August 8, 2022 at 11:18 pm
Global Smart Coffee Machines Market 2022-2028 Report covers Revenue, Volume, Size, Value and such Valuable Data. The ...
- The New Smart Money Bought The Bottom And The 'Pros' Are Now Playing Catchupon August 8, 2022 at 9:14 pm
After Friday’s big payroll number, stocks sank as the buzz was that the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates by 75 basis points at its September meeting. And they well might.
- Smart Finger: Integrating Triboelectric Sensing and Machine Learningon August 8, 2022 at 10:19 am
Researchers have developed a ‘smart finger’ that has the capacity to identify materials using “triboelectric” sensors that test its ability to gain or lose electrons, as well as determining other ...
- These smart home products can make a big difference on your energy and insurance billson August 8, 2022 at 9:57 am
You don't have to go full smart home. Switching to smart window shades, thermostats, plugs and lightbulbs can make a big dent in your energy bill.
- This startup wants you to test its latest flying machineon August 8, 2022 at 8:52 am
Zapata's personal flying machine, the JetRacer successfully flies across water. Now you can try it for yourself!
- How your smart home can save you moneyon August 8, 2022 at 4:30 am
A smart home isn't only convenient, it can also save you money in the long run with energy efficiency improvements.
- Cold Milling Machine Market to Hit USD 3 Bn by 2030, Says Global Market Insights Inc.on August 8, 2022 at 1:10 am
The global cold milling machine market size is expected to record a valuation of USD 3 billion by 2030, according to the latest research study by Global Market Insights Inc. Increasing number of smart ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.