A new approach allows “smart” machines to understand sounds other than speech
Robots can already discern and react to speech thanks to voice-recognition software such as the iPhone’s Siri. But “smart” machines still struggle with most other sounds. “In some sense, it’s almost a simpler problem, but there hasn’t been a lot of work on noise in the environment,” says roboticist Joseph Romano of Rethink Robotics in Boston. “It hasn’t been in the loop for robotic feedback.”
Now Romano is letting robots listen in on more than our conversations. He and his collaborators at the University of Pennsylvania have created a software tool called ROAR (short for robotic operating system open-source audio recognizer) that allows roboticists to train machines to respond to a much wider range of sounds. As described in a recent issue of Autonomous Robots, the tool’s chief requirement is a microphone.
To begin training, the robot’s microphone first captures ambient sounds, which ROAR scrubs of noisy static. Next the operator teaches ROAR to recognize key sounds by repeatedly performing a specific action—such as shutting a door or setting off a smartphone alarm—and tagging the unique audio signature while the robot listens. Finally, the program creates a general model of the sound of each action from that set of training clips.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Upgrade POS machines for 4G link: PDS staff to govton October 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Madurai: Public distribution system (PDS) employees have urged the Tamil Nadu government to upgrade the point of sale (POS) machines at more than 33,5.
- Smart Grid Market Size to Grow at a CAGR of 10.2% During the Forecast Period 2021-2026on October 11, 2021 at 11:58 am
The Smart Grid Marke t size is set to grow at a CAGR of 10.2% and to reach $86.9 billion during the period 2021-2026. The growing demand for power ...
- Bulgarian citizens will vote on November 14 elections on one machine and with one smart cardon October 11, 2021 at 9:11 am
On November 14, when Bulgarians will elect both parliament and president, voting will take place on one machine and with one smart card, Bulgaria's Central Election Commission has decided. The ...
- Smart and digital Metso Outotec launches Index online tool for metal recycling machineson October 11, 2021 at 7:07 am
Metso Outotec Corporation's press release on October 4, 2021, at 10:00 am EEST Collecting data, sifting through data and evaluati ...
- These startups are making the smart cities of the future saferon October 11, 2021 at 7:04 am
Smart cities could make our lives easier, but will they be safer? We spoke with four cohorts from X-Europe's smart cities accelerator to find out more.
- Global Smart Access Control Attendance Machine Market 2021 Sales Channels, Technology and Production Analysis, Business Growth by 2027on October 10, 2021 at 1:49 pm
The most recent market research study on Global Smart Access Control Attendance Machine Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 by MarketsandResearch.biz includes ...
- Successful smart cities will be impossible without decentralized techson October 9, 2021 at 11:11 pm
Smart cities are being planned and implemented around the world already, but what is needed to drive public endorsement of smart cities?
- 2 in1 elections: November 14 Bulgaria vote on one machine and one smart cardon October 9, 2021 at 3:55 am
The Central Election Commission has decided that in the two in one elections on November 14, voting will take place on one machine and with one smart card. The receipts will be two or one, depending ...
- Smart Machines Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants- BAE Systems, Schneider Electric, GSKon October 8, 2021 at 1:03 pm
Global Smart Machines Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread) is latest research study released by ...
- Machine Vision Smart Cameras Market Research Report by Size, Share, Trend, Revenue, Opportunities, Demand and Geographical Forecast 2027on October 8, 2021 at 3:11 am
Global “ Machine Vision Smart Cameras Market ” report covering growth prospects, market development potential, profitability, supply, demand and other important subjects. The report presented here ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.