There is a cheap, safe, chemopreventive agent for prostate cancer. It’s called selenium.
Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, so you’d think that if a cheap, safe, effective chemopreventive agent for prostate cancer were discovered, the U.S. government (which pays the bill for treatment of the elderly, via Medicare) would want to get word out fast. As it turns out, there is a cheap, safe, chemopreventive agent for prostate cancer. It’s called selenium. But virtually nothing has been done to get the word out.
The literature on selenium’s prostate-cancer-preventing effects is vast and I won’t try to summarize it here. If you have time to read only one study, probably the most entertaining study to read is the Dutch toenail study, in which 58,279 men aged 55 to 69 donated toenail clippings (which were then analyzed for selenium content). The group was tracked for prostate cancer. The results:
After 6.3 years of follow-up, 540 incident prostate carcinoma cases and 1,211 subcohort members with complete toenail selenium data were available for case-cohort analyses. In multivariate survival analysis, an inverse association between toenail selenium level and prostate cancer risk was observed. Incidence rate ratios in increasing selenium quintiles were 1.00 (ref), 1.05, 0.69, 0.75, and 0.69 (95% confidence interval, 0.48–0.99), respectively (P-trend = 0.008)… The inverse association was more pronounced in ex-smokers than current smokers, and unclear in never-smokers.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Nutrition Professionals Reveal: The Health Benefits of Barleyon December 7, 2023 at 9:32 pm
This article explores the potential health benefits of barley, a whole grain that is high in fiber and phytonutrients. Three experts discuss the potential benefits of barley, including promoting a ...
- How many diseases can selenium beat?on December 1, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Fortunately for us, free radicals are controlled in the body by antioxidants. Selenium is known to have potent antioxidant activity, which in theory should give it cancer protective effects.
- Selenium Sulfide Shampoo - Uses, Side Effects, and Moreon November 23, 2023 at 9:45 am
For the treatment of tinea versicolor, apply selenium sulfide to the affected skin. Lather with a small amount of water. Allow it to remain on your skin for 10 minutes. Rinse your skin thoroughly ...
- SELENIUM - Uses, Side Effects, and Moreon November 23, 2023 at 8:52 am
Selenium is an essential trace mineral found in soil, water, and some foods. It is an important factor in many body processes. Selenium increases antioxidant effects in the body. Crab, fish ...
- B.C. coal mines linked to record-breaking toxin spike in U.S. waters, study sayson November 21, 2023 at 6:14 pm
Lead scientist in U.S. Geological Survey study says there is now 'strong evidence' B.C. coal mines are linked to largest selenium increase ever recorded.
- B.C. coal mines linked to record-breaking toxin spike in U.S. waters, study sayson November 21, 2023 at 4:00 pm
“They're not trying to spawn,” he said. “It’s another side effect of too much selenium in this system.” Selenium is a trace element for life. But too much is toxic and can be especially ...
- U.S. study finds Canadian mining toxin in American waters; treatment 'a small dent'on November 21, 2023 at 12:59 pm
A new American study has confirmed southeastern British Columbia coal mines are contaminating waters shared by Canada and the U.S., adding the miner's attempts to remove selenium from wastewater ...
- Brazil Nuts: Benefits of Selenium in Small Quantitieson November 15, 2023 at 1:27 pm
These tree nuts provide a low-fat source of micronutrients. They are unique because they contain the highest amounts of selenium found in foods consumed by humans. Selenium is a trace mineral that ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Selenium” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Mercy Health now offering imaging for prostate canceron December 7, 2023 at 11:00 pm
Mercy Health - Springfield is now offering new technology, the Prostate Specific Membrane Antigram (PSMA) imaging, that will help diagnose prostate cancer.
- Prostate cancer deaths are down in SC, but disparities remainon December 7, 2023 at 3:25 pm
COLUMBIA, S.C. — A recent report from the South Carolina Cancer Alliance reveals a promising trend in South Carolina's battle against prostate cancer, with a notable 50% decrease in the death rate ...
- A plea to pilot a new prostate cancer teston December 7, 2023 at 3:04 pm
The Cancer Society and Prostate Cancer Foundation, are backing a screening pilot - after some success in Europe. But in a recent briefing, Te Whatu Ora found insufficient evidence to suggest its ...
- Drug found to extend survival in prostate cancer with genetic mutationson December 7, 2023 at 8:50 am
Men with hormone-resistant prostate cancer and specific genetic mutations who were treated with the PARP inhibitor drug olaparib survived longer than men treated with traditional hormone therapy, ...
- Calls for a prostate cancer screening pilot grow, but do risks the outweigh the benefits?on December 7, 2023 at 7:59 am
The Prostate Cancer Foundation wants an initial pilot for all men aged over 50.
- Man fined for weeing in layby blames prostate cancer for the emergencyon December 7, 2023 at 5:25 am
Michael Mason, 69, from Winslow, Bucks, was fined £88 for 'littering' after weeing in a layby. But a £30 letter from the GP to prove he has prostate cancer saw the fine binned.
- New providers join Families First, prostate cancer support: Seacoast health newson December 6, 2023 at 11:12 am
PORTSMOUTH – Families First Health & Support Center in Portsmouth recently welcomed two new providers: pediatrician Emily Kaiser, MD, and family nurse practitioner Jonathan Morency, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC.
- Link between sexually transmitted infection and advanced prostate cancer debunkedon December 6, 2023 at 8:33 am
A University of Hawai'i Cancer Center study challenges existing research notions about the potential link between trichomoniasis, a sexually transmitted infection caused by a parasite called ...
- Congressman Glenn Thompson diagnosed with prostate cancer. ‘I will tackle this head on’on December 5, 2023 at 2:13 pm
Thompson plans to continue his work representing Pennsylvania’s 15th Congressional District while undergoing treatment.
- What Harvard Health Publishing And 3 Other Doctors Think: What Is The Life Expectancy Of Prostate Cancer?on December 4, 2023 at 1:28 pm
Answered by Dr. Howard E. Lewine M.D. Chief Medical Editor, Harvard Health Publishing · 40 years of experience · USA The prognosis for someone with prostate cancer depends primarily on the results of ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”prostate cancer” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]