If you suspect you might be unlucky enough to have the critters, you can buy an expensive test, or you can follow these instructions to make one yourself that both costs less and works better.
What has six legs, lives on blood, and strikes fear into the hearts of mattress-owners everywhere? According to the National Pest Management Association, bed bug infestations peak during the summer months, and some 99.6% of exterminators have seen at least one in the past year. They’re also expensive as hell, and notoriously difficult to treat, let alone detect.
For those of you who cross the street to avoid old couches propped up against a fire hydrant, here’s something for you: A new bed bug trap described in a Rutgers University study and published in the Journal of Economic Entomology shows that it’s fairly simple to set up a more effective and cheaper bed bug monitor than what’s currently on the market–and you can likely get most of the ingredients from your local drug store.
Changlu Wang, an entomologist at Rutgers University and assistant extension specialist, found a set-up proven more than twice as effective as bed bug detection kits currently on the market. His team needed to create a source of carbon dioxide, which bed bugs are attracted to, so they used a combination of sugar, yeast, and water to generate the gas. (Other bed bug detection tools, Wang explained, often use expensive carbon dioxide cylinders, or dry ice—which is effective, but dangerous to touch.) With that mixture placed in a retrofitted dog bowl, Wang’s team also lined the trap with black surgical tape to make the trap more attractive to the bugs and easier to climb.
“Bed bugs are very, very hungry. Once you enter the room, you breathe CO2, and within a few minutes the bed bugs become active and look for you,” Wang explains. “They just follow the CO2 concentrations until they locate you. The CO2 released from yeast is identical–the only difference is humans release chemical odors,” he said.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Flu bug ripping through Illinion November 28, 2021 at 12:09 pm
The team still went through a walkthrough the day after beating UT Rio Grande Valley, but that's about all the Illini could manage. Tacked on to injuries to guards Trent Frazier (knee) and Andre ...
- Anti-vaxxer who refused Covid jab because it’s not vegan says ‘I wish I had it’ to his wife before dying from the bugon November 28, 2021 at 11:55 am
AN anti-vaxxer who refused to get the Covid jab because it’s not vegan has died from the virus after a two-week battle in intensive care. Glynn Steel, 54, told his wife that he “wish ...
- Michigan State football overcomes myriad of illnesses, injuries to win home finaleon November 27, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Michigan State football's Kenneth Walker II overcame a touch of illness, and a bum ankle, to rush for 138 yards in the win over Penn State.
- A flu bug will affect a few Villanova men’s basketball players Sunday against La Salleon November 27, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Villanova head coach Jay Wright says a flu bug has been going through his team over the last week, and that some Wildcats players will be affected for Sunday’s Big 5 opener against La Salle at the ...
- ‘Battlefield 2042’ Update #2 Patch Notes: Bug Fixes, Nerfs, Bullet Spread And Moreon November 26, 2021 at 7:42 am
Battlefield 2042’s second major update since launch dropped over Thanksgiving Day. Update 0.2.2. includes The update nerfs some overpowered vehicles such as the LCAA Hovercraft, MD540 Nightbird, ...
- As You Wish: COVID closed one door, but cured boutique owner of the business bugon November 26, 2021 at 3:00 am
Courtney Keough Glazer closed her As You Wish boutique in the midst of the pandemic. A year later, she's found it's actually worked in her favor.
- More Holiday Travel Means More Opportunities for Bed Bugs to Thriveon November 25, 2021 at 11:00 pm
As travel during the holiday season will likely increase for the first time in two years due to the pandemic numbers continuing to decline, hotel rooms, fold out couches, airport ...
- Dad Who Thought He Had Stomach Bug Diagnosed With Terminal Canceron November 25, 2021 at 7:28 am
Jonathan Silcock, 37, and his family are now determined to make the most of the time ahead of them after the shocking discovery.
- After 204 days, MSPCA-Angell is looking for adopters for ‘love bug’ puppyon November 25, 2021 at 5:18 am
Ellie, a Pit Bull Terrier mix, has been at the shelter since May 5 — that’s 204 days. “We need your help to find her a loving home...which shouldn’t be too difficult since she’s such a love bug!” the ...
- Creenan: Bug infestations can always be worseon November 24, 2021 at 10:00 am
First came a kind of bug that was orange and black and had the frame of a slender beetle. I suppose some were hiding in my plants as they were being brought in for the winter, but that didn’t explain ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Apple tree looks to have cottony cushion scaleon November 27, 2021 at 7:02 pm
I have never seen such an infestation of what I believe to be cottony cushion scale. Your apple is in a world of hurt. So, here goes. First, the tree’s age. Thirty years is a long time and it might be ...
- DA-3 steps up measures vs. rice black bug infestation in Bataanon November 24, 2021 at 3:08 am
The Department of Agriculture (DA) regional office here has intensified measures to control the black bug infestation in Bataan. The DA, through the Regional Crop Protection Center, on Wednesday ...
- Chewing gum ‘traps 95% of Covid particles in your mouth’, study showson November 23, 2021 at 5:27 am
An experimental chewing gum could act as a "net" to trap coronavirus particles. The gum could trap Covid particles and stop people spreading the killer bugCredit: Getty - Contributor A study found ...
- Chewing gum ‘traps 95% of Covid particles in your mouth’, study showson November 23, 2021 at 4:09 am
SCIENTISTS think they have found a novel way for people to protect themselves against Covid. An experimental chewing gum could act as a “net” to trap coronavirus particles. A study ...
- New World Into The Void Update: Full Patch Noteson November 22, 2021 at 11:27 pm
Notable bug fixes: Fixed issues with various AI stuck ... Disabled player collision on Inferno Traps due to players occasionally getting stuck on them. Made it so player cant deal damage to ...
- Fall brings cooler temperatures, changing leaves and boxelder bugs by the millionson November 22, 2021 at 7:05 am
The boxelder bug gets one of its common names from its ... the end of the hose before you put on the attachment end. This ‘trap’ collects the insects so they don’t have to go all the way ...
- How to Get Rid of Brown Recluse Spiderson November 21, 2021 at 4:46 am
Brown recluse spiders are among the most dangerous to humans. Here's how to get rid of them and keep them out.
- Green Reusable Hanging Flycatcher Folding Fly Net Trap Fly Catcher with Flies Bait Stationon November 20, 2021 at 10:04 pm
Pest Type:Ants, Bats, Bed Bugs, Bees, Beetles, Birds, Centipedes, Cockroaches, Crickets, Earwigs, Fleas, Flies, Hornets, Mice, MOSQUITOES, Moths, Pill Bugs Feature ...
- Valorant Patch Notes 3.11: Release Date, Download Size, Leaks, System Updates, Social, Bug Fixes and Moreon November 17, 2021 at 5:46 am
Valorant Patch 3.10 brought multiple changes to the title, including the reveal of the new Agent Chamber and the Magepunk 2 skins. Here is everything that you need to know regarding Valorant Patch ...
- Stopping bed bugs in their tracks at Southland hutson November 16, 2021 at 2:02 pm
... with staff to see what their protocol is for managing gear which could have been in contact with bed bugs and their eggs. Don’t disrupt the glue traps - leave them alone so we can keep monitoring.