Biometric Optical Surveillance System
The federal government is making progress on developing a surveillance system that would pair computers with video cameras to scan crowds and automatically identify people by their faces, according to newly disclosed documents and interviews with researchers working on the project.
The Department of Homeland Security tested a crowd-scanning project called the Biometric Optical Surveillance System — or BOSS — last fall after two years of government-financed development. Although the system is not ready for use, researchers say they are making significant advances. That alarms privacy advocates, who say that now is the time for the government to establish oversight rules and limits on how it will someday be used.
There have been stabs for over a decade at building a system that would help match faces in a crowd with names on a watch list — whether in searching for terrorism suspects at high-profile events like a presidential inaugural parade, looking for criminal fugitives in places like Times Square or identifying card cheats in crowded casinos.
The automated matching of close-up photographs has improved greatly in recent years, and companies like Facebook have experimented with it using still pictures.
But even with advances in computer power, the technical hurdles involving crowd scans from a distance have proved to be far more challenging. Despite occasional much-hyped tests, including one as far back as the 2001 Super Bowl, technical specialists say crowd scanning is still too slow and unreliable.
The release of the documents about the government’s efforts to overcome those challenges comes amid a surge of interest in surveillance matters inspired by the leaks by Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor. Interest in video surveillance was also fueled by the attack on the Boston Marathon, where suspects were identified by officials looking through camera footage.
In a sign of how the use of such technologies can be developed for one use but then expanded to another, the BOSS research began as an effort to help the military detect potential suicide bombers and other terrorists overseas at “outdoor polling places in Afghanistan and Iraq,” among other sites, the documents show. But in 2010, the effort was transferred to the Department of Homeland Security to be developed for use instead by the police in the United States.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Clearview facial recognition used to exonerate suspect on trial over traffic fatalityon September 19, 2022 at 12:14 pm
Clearview AI gave defense attorneys in a vehicular homicide case access to its technology—and helped the defendant, who was innocent, avoid the slammer.
- Did Canada use facial-recognition software to strip two refugees of their status? A court wants better answerson September 19, 2022 at 10:00 am
Two Somali women won in court after they were stripped of refugee status based on photo-matching technology used by border officials.
- Xiaomi Face Recognition Smart Door Lock with 3D structured light tech launchedon September 19, 2022 at 2:00 am
Xiaomi’s latest smart door lock features 3D structured light facial recognition. The Xiaomi Face Recognition Smart Door Lock, as it is called, is an iteration of the 2021 Xiaomi Smart Door Lock X. Pre ...
- Yorkshire police force questioned about use of facial recognition softwareon September 18, 2022 at 10:00 pm
North Yorkshire Police has been asked if it has used facial recognition software since 2016, in a Freedom of Information request. The force said the software has not been used “in an overt capacity” ...
- Facial analysis still biased, press still confusing it with facial recognitionon September 16, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Readers of both publications are at risk of being misled by the same kind of imprecise language that biometrics industry insiders have long warned against.
- IDEMIA’s Facial Recognition Technology Ranks First on NIST False Match Rate Fairness Teston September 16, 2022 at 6:51 am
IDEMIA’s false match rate between different demographic groups hardly differs. The algorithm identifies all subjects equally well, regardless of demographic. IDEMIA’s false match rate between ...
- Facial Recognition Global Market Report 2022on September 16, 2022 at 3:29 am
Major players in the facial recognition market are Aware Inc, Ayonix Corporation, Cognitec Systems GmbH, FacePhi, NEC Corporation, Nuance, Idemia, Thales, Fujitsu, Gemalto NV, Onfido, TECH5 SA, NVISO ...
- 11 Areas In Which Facial Recognition Technology Is (Or Will Be) Being Usedon September 15, 2022 at 5:15 am
While facial recognition technology is still evolving and there are concerns about its ethical use, it's already being used for multiple functions by governments and industries.
- Democratic senators call on ICE to stop use of ‘Orwellian’ facial recognition, surveillanceon September 13, 2022 at 7:53 am
Two Democratic senators called on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to discontinue its use of facial recognition and other surveillance technologies that they say threaten individual ...
- Here's the exclusive 16-slide pitch deck that startup Alcatraz AI used to raise $25 million to open doors with facial recognitionon September 13, 2022 at 4:00 am
The AI startup Alcatraz AI's funding round was led by the global venture-capital firm Almaz Capital and involved several new and existing investors.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Biometric Optical Surveillance System
- Automatic Identification & Data Capture Market Size to Boost $35 Billion By 2027 | CAGR 12.3% – IndustryARCon September 19, 2022 at 1:35 pm
"Market Research Reports, Business Consulting Services & Analytics"Growing Use of Automatic Identification and Data Capture Systems in Variety of End User Industries is Driving the Growth of Automatic ...
- Your Thumbprint or Selfie Can Be Used to Get Into a Football Game Fasteron September 14, 2022 at 10:04 am
The use of biometrics to scan a fingerprint ... Do With Your Fingerprint Facial recognition systems need to be controlled tightly to avoid major security issues. “It must be an all-or-nothing ...
- US gets involved after Ekemp tip of Liberian biometric voter card contract winon September 13, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Ekemp listed the Liberian National Elections Commission as one of its clients for biometric voter ID cards on its website ahead of the official announcement.
- Biometric System Market Is Predictable To Touch USD 119.42 Billion Globally with Registering an Excellent CAGR Of 15.75% Forecast By 2029on September 13, 2022 at 9:25 am
Recent study report released by Data Bridge Market research titled “Global Biometric System Market” (covering USA, Europe, China, Japan, India, South East Asia, etc) highlights opportunities ...
- Biometric System Market Is Predictable To Touch USD 119.42 Billion Globally with Registering an Excellent CAGR Of 15.75% Forecast By 2029on September 13, 2022 at 9:19 am
Biometric security systems are highly being deployed globally as automated ... By Type (Capacitive Sensors, Ultra Sound Sensors, Optical Sensors, Thermal Sensors, Electric Field Sensors), Application ...
- IDEMIA’s biometric technology stands out in the latest international NIST facial recognition vendor teston September 12, 2022 at 5:00 pm
IDEMIA has also maintained its position in the top 3 of the FRVT 1:N Identification ranking These results are in line with IDEMIA’s previous rankings, which confirm its position in biometric ...
- Liberia: U.S. Concerned About NEC's Biometric VR Systemon September 12, 2022 at 6:47 am
It claims on its website that it focuses on digital biometric security identification ... applied for the bid to supply a biometric voting system including its software for 2023 polls.
- Biometric Sensor Global Market Report 2022on September 9, 2022 at 4:06 am
It tackles a variety of security-related concerns across multiple sectors. The main types of biometric sensors are capacitive sensors, optical sensors, thermal sensors, ultrasound sensors, and ...
- Biometrics Market is estimated to Progress at a CAGR of 13.3% during the Forecast Period 2022-2031, notes TMR Studyon August 18, 2022 at 7:06 am
The usage of biometrics in the government sector has led to a robust uptick in demand for products in the biometrics market. Strides in the security sector worldwide has resulted in the adoption ...
- Global Biometric Card Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2022 - 2027)on August 4, 2022 at 6:28 am
Biometric cards also comprise smart cards with various security features, such as an optical strip or barcode ... a contactless system like an electromagnetic card reader. By using this technology ...