The system is “a complementary method, not a complete replacement” to traditional autopsies
By using raw data from Multi Slice Computerized Tomography (MSCT) and processing it through sophisticated software on high performance computer systems, Malaysian entrepreneur Mathavan (Matt) Chandran hopes to largely negate the need to slice open bodies at autopsy. His digital autopsy software exploits the power of existing 2D and 3D imaging and visualization equipment to observe and investigate the human body using high definition imagery.
Chandran, CEO of iGene, a subsidiary of the InfoValley Group, believes that reducing family trauma and “placating religious sensibilities” are key driving factors in move toward minimally invasive autopsies. Other benefits include secure retrieval of data, both binary and 3D imaging, from central servers as well as the ability for law courts, forensic centers and hospitals to easily access that data. There is also the capacity to gear the digital autopsy platform to educating medical professionals and students in simulated diagnostics.
Whilst autopsy rates have drastically fallen since the 1950’s when 60 percent of deaths were investigated on the slab, there are still autopsies carried out in 10-20 percent of deaths. In America alone, there are over 100,000 malpractice suits filed every year that require investigation. Autopsies are carried out, usually by pathologists, for either legal or medical reasons. A forensic autopsy is undertaken if the cause of death indicates a possible crime has been committed. Clinical or academic autopsies are authorized to ascertain the medical cause of death and used in cases when the cause of death is unknown or for research purposes.
Pramod Bagali, chief operations officer of InfoValley, says the system is “a complementary method, not a complete replacement” to traditional autopsies, but could handle 70 percent of routine cases. The others could be done digitally to start with and then a decision could be made about whether to open up the body. “It’s not replacing one flawed system with another,” he says.
Additional non-invasive diagnostic tools such as angiography and toxicology are also integrated into the digital autopsy facility which uses existing medical scanners from the likes of Siemens, General Electric, Toshiba and Philips. Chandran plans to open 18 facilities in England starting in October 2013, positioning them close to UK mortuaries. He plans to charge $780 (£500) for the service which would be optional over a state paid traditional autopsy.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Jordan Neely death: Family will file wrongful death lawsuit against Daniel Pennyon May 27, 2023 at 2:20 pm
Jordan Neely's family will file a wrongful death lawsuit against Daniel Penny, who allegedly fatally choked the homeless man on an NYC subway train on May 1.
- Beloved Laguna Beach Party Planner Beaten To Death After Home Invasion By Two Thieveson May 26, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Learn how Laguna Beach police tracked down the pair behind the baseball bat bludgeoning murder of a beloved member of the beach community.
- Social Vulnerability Tied to Higher Assault-Related Firearm Death Rates for Youthon May 26, 2023 at 3:28 pm
States with restrictive gun laws have lower rates of assault-related firearm deaths among youths, but youths from socially vulnerable communities are disproportionately impacted ...
- WAVY Digital Desk: National Stroke Awareness Monthon May 26, 2023 at 2:49 pm
May is National Stroke Awareness Month. Find out what you need to know in this digital chat with Host Sarah Goode and Dr. Daniel A. Cohen, M.D., Chair of Neurology at EVMS.
- Digital Gym Cinema serves up Australian action and Chilean thrilleron May 26, 2023 at 2:16 pm
Digital Gym Cinema has taken the place of the now deceased Ken-Cinema in terms of offering filmgoers an eclectic selection of films from around the globe, as well as both new and old. Forgive me for a ...
- Red Wing man charged with manslaughter in 2-month-old baby's deathon May 26, 2023 at 1:27 pm
A 27-year-old Red Wing man faces a set of manslaughter charges for his alleged role in the death of an 8-week-old baby boy.
- Garment worker stabbed to death in Savar: Policeon May 26, 2023 at 2:09 am
Police recovered the body and sent it to Shaheed Suhrawardy Hospital morgue for an autopsy. Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from United News of Bangladesh. Provided by ...
- How Oprah Winfrey found out about Tina Turner's deathon May 25, 2023 at 7:24 pm
Winfrey recalled in her piece that she was heading to a gala dinner in Milan with Gayle King, who relayed the news to her. “Gayle’s phone was blowing up with messages and condolences for Tina Turner,” ...
- Hans Madave pleads not guilty to shooting death of Plymouth teenon May 25, 2023 at 12:58 pm
Hans Madave, 19, had been on the run for months following the fatal shooting of Yaseen Johnson on Nov. 14 before he turned himself in two months later.
- Teen Falls to His Death While Climbing L.A. Bridge in Apparent Social Media Stunt: Policeon May 25, 2023 at 8:55 am
Authorities say a teenager has died after slipping and falling from a Los Angeles bridge during an apparent social media stunt ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Digital autopsy” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Digital autopsy software
- Man died of 'severe neglect' in Fulton County Jail, including bed bug infestation, autopsy showson May 26, 2023 at 6:13 pm
A private autopsy conducted in the case of Lashawn Thompson, who died in Georgia's Fulton County Jail last year, found that weeks of neglect caused his death. Thompson was found unresponsive ...
- 8 Best Antivirus Software (May 2023)on May 26, 2023 at 7:15 am
That’s why it’s important to have the best antivirus software installed on your devices. To help you choose the right antivirus software for your needs, Forbes Advisor compiled a list of the ...
- Leading In A Digital Worldon May 25, 2023 at 7:21 am
The digital revolution has launched a new era ... we’re talking about software agents that carry out repeatable routine activities with increasing cognitive ability as they “learn” by ...
- Siemens PLM Becomes Siemens Digital Industries Softwareon May 24, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The goal is to help companies become digital enterprises. Xcelerator combines Siemens’ software for design, engineering, and manufacturing with an expanded Mendix low-code application development ...
- The Top Digital Experience Software to Elevate Customer Interactions Revealed in SoftwareReviews' 2023 Data Quadrant Reporton May 18, 2023 at 1:16 pm
In SoftwareReviews' latest Data Quadrant report, the firm highlights the top-performing Digital Experience software solutions that users say are best at helping to unlock innovative user ...
- The best e-signature software in 2023on April 27, 2023 at 9:45 pm
Are you looking for the best e-signature software to digitally sign your documents? As the world adapts to a remote and digitized workflow, companies are ditching traditional paperwork in favor of ...
- Autopsy 101on February 27, 2023 at 8:33 am
In some instances, a person may have specified his or her desire for an autopsy, perhaps in conversation or by signing a personal directive. Most states require permission from a doctor ...
- Best Digital Art Software in 2023on April 17, 2022 at 1:40 pm
We’ve all seen what the best digital art software is capable of. It equips you with the tools to harness your computer’s power to create. The works you can create with digital art software are ...
- Antivirus Softwareon January 26, 2019 at 4:04 am
You will get digital access to reviews and ratings for ... care FAQs or access your account information here. Antivirus Software Ratings Safeguard your information with antivirus software.
- Police consider merits of £2m digital autopsy facility in Bradfordon October 7, 2014 at 10:39 am
POLICE are to consider whether a pioneering new £2m digital autopsy facility in Bradford ... has a CT scanner and revolutionary software, and ends with a 3D reconstruction of a body on a computer ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Digital autopsy software
[google_news title=”” keyword=”digital autopsy software” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]