A cathode that lasted five times longer than earlier designs
When it comes to improving the performance of lithium-ion batteries, no part should be overlooked – not even the glue that binds materials together in the cathode, researchers at SLAC and Stanford have found.
Tweaking that material, which binds lithium sulfide and carbon particles together, created a cathode that lasted five times longer than earlier designs, according to a report published last month in Chemical Science. The research results are some of the earliest supported by the Department of Energy‘s Joint Center for Energy Storage Research.
“We were very impressed with how important this binder was in improving the lifetime of our experimental battery,” said Yi Cui, an associate professor at SLAC and Stanford who led the research.
Researchers worldwide have been racing to improve lithium-ion batteries, which are one of the most promising technologies for powering increasingly popular devices such as mobile electronics and electric vehicles. In theory, using silicon and sulfur as the active elements in the batteries’ terminals, called the anode and cathode, could allow lithium-ion batteries to store up to five times more energy than today’s best versions. But finding specific forms and formulations of silicon and sulfur that will last for several thousand charge-discharge cycles during real-life use has been difficult.
Cui’s group was exploring how to create a better cathode by using lithium sulfide rather than sulfur. The lithium atoms it contains can provide the ions that shuttle between anode and cathode during the battery’s charge/discharge cycle; this in turn means the battery’s other electrode can be made from a non-lithium material, such as silicon. Unfortunately, lithium sulfide is also electrically insulating, which greatly reduces any battery’s performance. To overcome this, electrically conducting carbon particles can be mixed with the sulfide; a glue-like material – the binder – holds it all together.
Scientists in Cui’s group devised a new binder that is particularly well-suited for use with a lithium sulfide cathode – and that also binds strongly with intermediate polysulfide molecules that dissolve out of the cathode and diminish the battery’s storage capacity and useful lifetime.
The experimental battery using the new binder, known by the initials PVP, retained 94 percent of its original energy-storage capacity after 100 charge/discharge cycles, compared with 72 percent for cells using a conventionally-used binder, known as PVDF. After 500 cycles, the PVP battery still had 69 percent of its initial capacity.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Apple's New MacBook Airs Pick Up M3 Upgrade, Go Big On Battery Lifeon March 4, 2024 at 7:22 am
Compared to the M1 silicon, Apple claims the M3 generation is up to 60 percent faster at video editing and games while delivering a healthy 40 percent improvement in battery life. The peak battery ...
- M3 MacBook Air battery life: Here’s what you geton March 4, 2024 at 5:38 am
But impressively, the M3 (and M2) MacBook Air offers the same 18 hours of battery life as the mid and high-tier M3 Pro/Max MacBook Pro and 3 hours more for wireless web.
- Kill These 2 iOS Settings to Get Longer iPhone Battery Lifeon March 4, 2024 at 3:05 am
The next update to the iPhone's operating system -- iOS 17.4 -- will add more of your phone's battery data to a newly renamed Battery Health menu. Along with your usual battery health percentage ...
- Samsung says the Galaxy Ring offers up to nine days of battery lifeon March 3, 2024 at 8:30 am
Speaking to FNNews (via 9to5Google), Samsung's Hon Pak said that battery life is somewhere between five and nine days, depending on how you use it – though it's worth bearing in mind that the wearable ...
- Review: Stylish OnePlus Watch 2 has killer battery life but lacks critical featureson March 2, 2024 at 4:00 am
One of the toughest pain points for smartwatches — be they Apple or Android — is battery life. In most cases, these small wrist computers struggle to last a full 24 hours before needing a charge. For ...
- HP Spectre x360 14 (2024) review: A nearly flawless traditional 2-in-1 with great battery lifeon February 27, 2024 at 9:00 am
The world of premium Windows ultrabooks is a competitive one, with companies like Dell and Lenovo consistently offering engrossing laptops with top-notch designs and feature lists. For years now, ...
- Wear OS “Hybrid” design has two OSes, two CPUs, “100 hour” battery lifeon February 26, 2024 at 1:08 pm
That's the solution OnePlus and Google have cooked up, with the new " Wear OS hybrid interface " on the OnePlus Watch 2. Basically, the smartwatch is now packing two different sets of CPUs and OSes: ...
- Wear OS is revamping notifications to improve battery lifeon February 26, 2024 at 11:00 am
Google just announced a handful of new Wear OS updates at Mobile World Congress 2024. At the heart of it is a way of handling notifications that will purportedly improve performance and battery life.
- Google Tweaks Wear OS With OnePlus for Watch 2’s Incredible Battery Lifeon February 26, 2024 at 7:39 am
Smartwatches have had smart modes for years, where watchmakers promise days and days of battery life along with access to some features. The problem with those types of modes is that you often get the ...
- OnePlus Watch 2 Review: Big Battery Life and Big Compromiseson February 26, 2024 at 7:07 am
The OnePlus Watch 2 impresses with its long battery life, but it comes with some shortcomings that are hard to overlook.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Battery Life” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- 25 January 1947: the world’s first video game is patentedon February 29, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Video games, computer games, virtual reality – they're part of a multi-billion pound industry that's developing at an astounding pace. It's still a young industry, but it's been around for a few ...
- Scientists design promising new material to solve major issue with lithium-ion batteries: ‘It is already competitive with incumbent technologies’on February 29, 2024 at 3:00 am
They have developed a cathode based on organic materials instead of costly cobalt or nickel, a huge stride in the ongoing effort to replace the scarce metals in lithium-ion batteries with a more ...
- Nano One Commences Feasibility Study for First Commercial LFP Plant and "Design-Once-Build-Many" Growth Strategyon February 27, 2024 at 12:04 am
Design-Once-Build-Many growth strategy adds shareholder value ... a clean technology company with patented processes for the production of lithium-ion battery cathode materials that enable secure and ...
- Budget European start-up joins the lithium-metal battery raceon February 25, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Generally, sulfide and oxide electrolytes are powders that are mixed with a cathode material ... most notably Solithor’s head of cell design, process, and upscaling, who comes from Tesla. The firm ...
- Sodium-ion batteries: How doping workson February 21, 2024 at 1:19 pm
Sodium-ion batteries still have a number of weaknesses that could be remedied by optimizing the battery materials. One possibility is to dope the cathode material with foreign elements. A team from ...
- Cathode innovation makes sodium-ion battery an attractive option for electric vehicleson February 19, 2024 at 4:00 pm
The U.S, Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory researchers have invented and patented a new cathode material that could pave the way for eco- and budget-friendly electric vehicles.
- LG Chem is building a $3B EV battery cathode factory – the largest in the US [Update]on February 12, 2024 at 9:15 am
LG Chem is building a $3 billion battery cathode factory for EVs in Tennessee – and it just inked a multi-billion dollar deal with GM. LG Chem has secured a long-term cathode material supply ...
- General Motors, LG Chem ink $19B cathode material supply deal for EVson February 7, 2024 at 1:48 am
LG Chem has secured a long-term cathode material supply contract from General Motors (NYSE:GM) worth KRW 25 trillion ($19 billion), the Korean chemical firm reported on Wednesday. LG Chem aims to ...
- LG Chem, GM Sign $19 Billion Cathode Supply Dealon February 7, 2024 at 12:08 am
South Korea’s LG Chem will supply General Motors with nearly $19 billion worth of cathode materials in the coming years, part of the U.S. carmaker’s long-term ambitions to become a leader in ...
- GM Signs $18.6 Billion EV Cathode Supply Deal With LG Chemon February 6, 2024 at 4:00 pm
LG Chem Ltd. agreed to provide 24.7 trillion won ($18.6 billion) of cathode materials to General Motors Co. under a long-term supply deal the companies inked Wednesday. The agreement will see LG ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”cathode design” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]