This has opened up an incredible opportunity for social entrepreneurs to raise the funds they need to launch companies which create a better future for their communities.
While the world’s most publicised crowdfunding campaigns can only be described as addressing ‘first world problems’ a newer generation of crowdfunding platforms is allowing Not for Profits and social entrepreneurs an opportunity to raise the funds to create a better future for their communities. Entrepreneur, Tom Dawkins from StartSomeGood explains.
Over the last few years Crowdfunding has become increasingly popular, and depending on your definition is expected to raise as much as $5 billion globally by next year. Many of the most prominent campaigns can only be described as solving “first-world problems”, from Hollywood celebrities who want to retain full control of their projects to watches which save you reaching into your pocket for your text messages.
Beyond the hype however crowdfunding has fundamentally democratised cultural production, connecting artists and creators directly with fans and consumers. This direct connection has replaced the need for permission from record labels and radio stations for many musicians, allowing them to build careers on the back of the core group of people who love their music rather than relying on the traditional gatekeepers to validate them.
For Not for Profits none of this is new. Online fundraising platforms including Facebook Causes, Razoo and Jolkona allow Not for Profits to leverage the power of online networks to assist their fundraising goals. But these platforms are limited to organisations with an American 501(c)3 charity registration. In Australia sites like Everyday Hero are similarly for the exclusive use of tax-deductible charities.
This newer generation of crowdfunding platforms however, including StartSomeGood, Kickstarter, IndieGoGo and Pozible, allow fundraising by all kinds of groups: charity, Not for Profit , for profit and unincorporated. This has opened up an incredible opportunity for social entrepreneurs to raise the funds they need to launch companies which create a better future for their communities.
These platforms can give social entrepreneurs a better option for early-stage funding of their idea. Rather than hoping for a government grant, a bank loan or a friendly impact investor, all of which are extremely scarce, a committed entrepreneur with an idea for a social enterprise can, much like the musicians discussed above, turn directly to their community and ask for the help they need to launch, grow or evolve.
Social enterprises are just as capable as Not for Profits in painting an inspiring picture of the impact they are creating in the world, but they combine this with a product or service which people value in the marketplace. The combination of these two elements creates the most engaging, sharable and successful crowdfunding campaigns.
Over the past two years hundreds of entrepreneurs (and organisations) launching initiatives to create a better world have used crowdfunding as a tool to help them achieve their goals. Success stories include Jennifer Windrum, who launched SMAC: Sock Monkey’s Against Cancer with the support of $35,000 raised from 400 supporters. With a moving personal story and incredible passion for her cause she rallied a community behind her vision of a buy-one-give-one toy company which supports cancer patients and funds cancer research.
Closer to home Food Connect Sydney raised funds on StartSomeGood to launch local farm tours. So rather than just bringing to the farm to the city in the form of food deliveries they are taking city-dwellers out to the farm to learn more about where their food is coming from. One Can Grow launched their entrepreneurship courses for high school students with a crowdfunding campaign and Sydney-based entrepreneur Mikey Leung put his money where his mouth was and crowdfunded his crowdsourced travel publishing company with two campaigns totalling $25,000. And over the coming months we’ll be launching social enterprises as diverse as toilet paper, sleepwear and food trucks.
And proving that trend truly isn’t just about first world problems, we’ve worked with many social enterprises in the developing world, including Kinyei, a café and bike tour operator in Cambodia, who raised funds to support their transition to an entirely local-owned and run operation, as well as projects in Nepal, Mexico, Nigeria and twenty other countries so far.
Crowdfunding has several unique advantages as a fundraising mechanism.
The Latest Bing News on:
- ESMA Tells European Crowdfunding Platforms to Speed Things Up in Transitioning to New Pan-European Regimeon May 19, 2022 at 11:07 pm
At the end of 2021, the European Union approved a new regulatory regime that enables issuers to raise capital online across all member states. Companies may ...
- Star Citizen Reveals Anvil Legionnaire Boarding Ship as Crowdfunding Passes $460 Millionon May 19, 2022 at 2:43 pm
Tooday Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games revealed a brand new ship coming to the growing space game.
- Crowdfunding campaign aiming to restore Marquette Lower Harbor Fish Cleaning Stationon May 19, 2022 at 10:40 am
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) and the South Shore Fishing Association (SSFA) have announced the launch of a crowdfunding campaign to restore ...
- Joule Case Completes $1M Crowdfunding Round, Expands to $5M to Target New Marketson May 19, 2022 at 5:32 am
Following a successful crowdfunding campaign that raised $1,127,379 and attracted 920 investors, Joule Case is launching a new $4M round on Wefunder to raise a total of $5M. This round will enable ...
- Desperate tenants are turning to crowdfunding to pay for housing amid Australia’s rental crisison May 18, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Accommodation fundraising campaigns quadruple in past year, including appeals for rent and alternative housing like caravans ...
- Morning mail: aged care Covid deaths, renters turn to crowdfunding, DVD collectorson May 18, 2022 at 2:03 pm
At least 60 nursing home residents with coronavirus are dying each week as workers prepare to strike. Plus: the ‘innately comforting’ tactility of collecting movies ...
- IPG Launches Crowdfunding Campaign to Help Businesses Ditch Their Diesel Generatorson May 18, 2022 at 4:26 am
An investment opportunity is now open with climate tech company IPG, who has today announced the launch of its crowdfunding campaign to support its mission to replace the diesel generator. IPG’s ...
- Arcview Capital Announces New Equity Crowdfunding Platform: Supporting Capital Raise Needs of Industry Businesseson May 18, 2022 at 12:00 am
Arcview Capital today announced the launch of their equity crowdfunding platform, devoted to supporting cannabis and other adaptogenic plant-based businesses by democratizing investment in these ...
- Investor Platform Equito Introduces Crowdfunding Solution to Unlock Financing for SMEson May 17, 2022 at 10:07 pm
Cryptix, the Fintech Web 3.0 venture builder, recently announced that it has received regulatory approval to launch Equito, an investor platform.
- Crowdfunding Market Report 2022, Industry Trends, Share, Size, Demand and Forecast 2027on May 17, 2022 at 6:26 pm
According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Crowdfunding Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2022-2027,” the global crowdfunding market reached a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- WEF 2022: How social innovators are inspiring change at Davoson May 20, 2022 at 12:00 am
Social enterprises are a growing force in the global economy, with demand for inclusive solutions and trusted leaders ...
- Australian women entrepreneurs making social change can share in US$190,000 in grantson May 19, 2022 at 6:13 pm
Australian entrepreneurs solving social and environmental problems now have a greater chance to secure grant funding from the Cartier Women’s Initiative ...
- Need a spider out of the house without killing it? Entrepreneur's Cup-a-Bug invention offers easy solutionon May 19, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Thanks to its long mechanical stick, the Cup-a-Bug gets rid of the fear factor by letting its users catch bugs from afar. As demonstrated on his social media, the mini container at the end of the ...
- Mather Entrepreneurship Dayon May 19, 2022 at 11:36 am
Titled "The First Entrepreneurs Club," this event is a no-cost ... Prior to Jumpstart, Mery worked in a digital marketing agency as the social media community manager creating content and developing ...
- Social Entrepreneur Zeeshan Khan Joins Hands With 5ire To Create A Sustainable Environment For Futureon May 18, 2022 at 2:21 pm
As humankind is evolving with technological advancements in the form of blockchain and Web 3.0, Zeeshan is putting his best foot forward to maintain a sustainable environment.
- Care ethics in social entrepreneurship promotes social sustainabilityon May 18, 2022 at 9:40 am
Practicing ethics of care in social entrepreneurship has immediate and long-term impacts on sustainability, according to a recent University of Eastern Finland study published in Entrepreneurship & ...
- Considering Becoming a Micro Entrepreneur? Read This Firston May 18, 2022 at 9:31 am
Micro entrepreneurs have innovative ideas but choose to keep the growth of those ideas small. Here are three characteristics successful micro entrepreneurs have.
- Get Started With Social Entrepreneurship With These 7 Tipson May 18, 2022 at 9:21 am
Social entrepreneurs seek to make the world a better place and make a positive impact. Here are seven tips to help you get started in social entrepreneurship.
- Entrepreneurship, life, and the art of the pivoton May 17, 2022 at 2:00 am
When we are presented with opportunities for "big pivot moments"… it’s our chance to put our values into action.
- Apply for the ThinkImpact Social Entrepreneurship Fellowship programon May 12, 2022 at 9:06 am
The Fowler Center for Business as an Agent of World Benefit is now accepting applications for the 2022-23 ThinkImpact Social Entrepreneurship ...