If you forget where you put your car keys and you can’t seem to remember things as well as you used to, the problem may well be with the GluN2B subunits in your NMDA receptors.
And don’t be surprised if by tomorrow you can’t remember the name of those darned subunits.
They help you remember things, but you’ve been losing them almost since the day you were born, and it’s only going to get worse. An old adult may have only half as many of them as a younger person.
Research on these biochemical processes in the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University is making it clear that cognitive decline with age is a natural part of life, and scientists are tracking the problem down to highly specific components of the brain. Separate from some more serious problems like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, virtually everyone loses memory-making and cognitive abilities as they age. The process is well under way by the age of 40 and picks up speed after that.
But of considerable interest: It may not have to be that way.
“These are biological processes, and once we fully understand what is going on, we may be able to slow or prevent it,” said Kathy Magnusson, a neuroscientist in the OSU Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, and professor in the Linus Pauling Institute. “There may be ways to influence it with diet, health habits, continued mental activity or even drugs.”
The processes are complex. In a study just published in the Journal of Neuroscience, researchers found that one protein that stabilizes receptors in a young animal – a good thing conducive to learning and memory – can have just the opposite effect if there’s too much of it in an older animal.
But complexity aside, progress is being made. In recent research, supported by the National Institutes of Health, OSU scientists used a genetic therapy in laboratory mice, in which a virus helped carry complementary DNA into appropriate cells and restored some GluN2B subunits. Tests showed that it helped mice improve their memory and cognitive ability.
The NMDA receptor has been known of for decades, Magnusson said. It plays a role in memory and learning but isn’t active all the time – it takes a fairly strong stimulus of some type to turn it on and allow you to remember something. The routine of getting dressed in the morning is ignored and quickly lost to the fog of time, but the day you had an auto accident earns a permanent etching in your memory.
Within the NMDA receptor are various subunits, and Magnusson said that research keeps pointing back to the GluN2B subunit as one of the most important. Infants and children have lots of them, and as a result are like a sponge in soaking up memories and learning new things. But they gradually dwindle in number with age, and it also appears the ones that are left work less efficiently.
“You can still learn new things and make new memories when you are older, but it’s not as easy,” Magnusson said. “Fewer messages get through, fewer connections get made, and your brain has to work harder.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Lawrence: Donald Trump's cognitive decline continues in plain viewon February 22, 2024 at 8:25 pm
MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell examines Donald Trump’s cognitive decline in remarks he made this week that the news media largely ignored compared to an informative statement he made in a documentary ...
- The Excerpt podcast: Biden's gaffes, Trump's flubs: are they a sign of cognitive decline?on February 22, 2024 at 5:37 pm
What are signs of cognitive decline and when is it appropriate to raise the alarm, particularly for candidates vying to be leaders of the free world?
- Study says some cognitive skills in elderly Americans improve with timeon February 22, 2024 at 2:33 pm
According to an article in STAT News, there is some data to suggest that in many ways, we get wiser as we get older.
- Hemingway: People Don't Believe Biden Is Actually Running Things, So His Cognitive Decline Shouldn't Matter So Muchon February 22, 2024 at 12:42 pm
"The Federalist" senior editor Mollie Hemingway speaks with FOX Business Network host Stuart Varney about how some voters look at President Biden's mental state: STUART VARNEY, FOX BUSINESS NETWORK: ...
- UAF study investigates cognitive decline in senior dogson February 22, 2024 at 10:04 am
Much like many humans experience symptoms of Alzheimer’s-related mental decline in their elder years, many senior dogs start to display Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD).In a new University of Alaska ...
- Wendy Williams' New Diagnosis Explains Recent Cognitive Declineon February 22, 2024 at 8:40 am
Wendy Williams has been diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia and aphasia, new reports reveal. The news was shared in a statement from Williams' team on Thursday, Feb. 22, announcing that the former ...
- Does the Internet Protect the Elderly From Cognitive Decline?on February 21, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Accounting for baseline cognitive decline did not substantially change these results and yielded an HR of 0.62. The difference in risk between regular and irregular users was not altered by ...
- Association between dietary thiamine consumption and cognitive declineon February 21, 2024 at 4:31 am
Thiamine consumption was unrelated to cognition decay before the inflection point; however, every unit rise in thiamine consumption (mg/day) led to significant reductions in global and composite ...
- Slowing Age-Related Declineon February 19, 2024 at 5:59 am
The prospect of suffering the “lamentable imbecility” of old age that John Herschel noted is a particularly unwelcome prospect, and therefore acts as a powerful driver for a vast industry promoting ...
- Opinion | What We Know About Cognitive Declineon February 18, 2024 at 11:07 am
Such pieces typically note that only a medical doctor can diagnose cognitive impairment and dementia. That’s true, but it’s also true that dementia and mild cognitive impairment are hugely ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Cognitive decline” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- Microsoft Has Released Several Updates To Fix the Latest Bugson February 22, 2024 at 11:48 am
This February, Microsoft rolled out a significant update package, addressing a wide array of vulnerabilities, including two critical zero-day flaws that have caught the cybersecurity world’s attention ...
- Slow Internet After Windows 11 Update? Here’s the Fixon February 22, 2024 at 10:13 am
A slow internet connection after the Windows 11 update is a common problem. Follow the below steps and see the screenshots to solve slow internet on Windows 11: First of all, from the Start Menu, open ...
- Google Rushes To Fix 'Woke' AI After Backlashon February 22, 2024 at 7:36 am
The discovery has caused backlash online. Mike Wacker, a software engineer who has previously worked for Google and describes himself as a Republican, posted on X, formerly Twitter, about his ...
- Is AT&T down for you? Millions report outages across US, but this fix works for someon February 22, 2024 at 7:30 am
Millions of AT&T customers across the US are unable to make or receive calls, send texts, or access the internet because of a major outage that occurred this morning. According to tracking site ...
- Bill Knight Automotive winter athletes of the weekon February 22, 2024 at 7:14 am
Check out this week's honorees in basketball, wrestling and swimming. Email nominations: [email protected] ...
- A New Patch Has Broken ‘Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League’ Even More, And Players Are Doneon February 22, 2024 at 6:43 am
A new patch meant to fix at least some issues in Suicide Squad has only made things worse for many players and some are done defending the game.
- I-10: ADOT details plan to fix tunnel leakon February 21, 2024 at 4:58 pm
The Deck Park Tunnel in Downtown Phoenix has sprung a rather big leak in recent weeks, and FOX 10's Steve Nielsen spoke with ADOT officials on where the water is coming from, and what they intend to ...
- The Internet is Buzzing About Bey's New Hair Care Line, And Not All the Comments Are Goodon February 21, 2024 at 11:39 am
On Tuesday, Beyoncé blessed us with Cécred, her new line of products designed to repair and strengthen textured hair from root to tip. And as you can probably imagine, every corner of the Black ...
- How to fix the Shard error in Nightingaleon February 21, 2024 at 7:45 am
Check if your internet is up and stable. Ping spikes and packet loss can cause these errors to pop up in online games like Nightingale. You can try rebooting your router and modem, switching your DNS, ...
- How to Fix the “Couldn’t Refresh Feed” Error on Instagramon February 20, 2024 at 3:30 pm
Spread the loveInstagram has become a pivotal platform for social interaction, networking, and content sharing. Users often scroll through their feeds to catch up on the latest posts from friends, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Fix the internet
[google_news title=”” keyword=”fix the internet” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]