A new type of water cleanup technology that can effectively and efficiently remove organic contaminants from large quantities of water, without using any added chemicals, could be a huge step forward for aquaculture and the world’s growing farmed fish operations.
In 2011, the production of farmed fish worldwide surpassed global beef production for the first time, and the industry shows no sign of slowing down. However, producing fish at those levels comes with its own set of challenges that require solutions, including the need to constantly remove ammonia and kill harmful bacteria and other aquatic pathogens in the water.
The new water cleanup technology, Electro Water Separation™ (EWS), is said to be a three-in-one solution that could lead to a more sustainable and viable farmed fish industry, because it not only cleans and sanitizes both the supply and the discharge water cost-effectively, but it can also harvest algae for use as fish feed. The discharge waters, which are nitrogen-rich, can then be used to feed the algae ponds, which may help aquaculture operations to “close the loop” a bit more.
The EWS technology works in two stages:
- Electro-Coagulation: contaminated water enters the first stage, which is a proprietary electro-coagulation process. In this stage, mild electrical impulses are applied in long tubes, causing the organic contaminants to coagulate, or “clump” together.
- Electro-Flotation: the clumped-up material travels into a second stage where low power electrical pulses generate a cloud of micro-bubbles that gently lifts the concentrate to the surface for harvesting.
Originally developed as part of OriginOil’s algae systems, the EWS system is capable of removing up to 99% of the water for algae harvesting, and can extract more than 98% of the biomass in the first pass. In addition, the EWS system can remove 98% of bacteria from harvested algae, which helps to keep it for rotting for up to 5 days, without refrigeration.
The Latest Bing News on:
Breakthrough water tech
- Bill Gates-backed ESS — which makes giant batteries out of iron, salt and water — starts tradingon October 11, 2021 at 10:12 am
ESS is building long-duration energy storage batteries made of iron, salt and water. It went public on Monday through a SPAC with Acon S2 Investment Corp.
- Oregon company’s iron battery breakthrough could eat lithium’s lunchon October 11, 2021 at 6:00 am
The world's electric grids are creaking under the pressure of volatile fossil-fuel prices and the imperative of weaning the world off polluting energy sources. An Oregon company may have a solution: a ...
- KBR Technology Selected for Breakthrough Green Ammonia Project by ACME Groupon October 11, 2021 at 3:08 am
KBR announced today that its leading ammonia technology has been selected by ACME Group for its breakthrough green ammonia project to be built in ...
- Automakers funding new tech aimed at making greener lithium for EVson October 10, 2021 at 9:14 am
CALIPATRIA, Calif. - Automakers, investors and even oilfield giant Schlumberger NV are beginning to embrace environmentally friendly technologies to produce lithium that could help meet 25% or more of ...
- Automakers Invested In New Technology for Greener Lithium Production for EVson October 9, 2021 at 6:09 am
Investors, automakers, investors, battery makers and even fossil fuel giants Schlumberger NV are looking toward technologies to fold into environmentally friendly methods of producing lithium. One ...
- Breakthrough in fusion energy: Is abundant low carbon energy within reach?on October 9, 2021 at 4:36 am
The recent technological advancement in the energy front could translate into abundant low carbon energy supply; however, there are multiple problems associated with it that need to be addressed first ...
- Nanotechnology Day 2021: A Large-scale Celebration for Small-scale Technologieson October 8, 2021 at 11:48 am
Happy Nanotechnology Day! Today, the Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO) is celebrating big in honor of the tiny world of nanoscience.
- FOCUS-Automakers funding new tech aimed at making greener lithium for EVson October 8, 2021 at 4:00 am
Automakers, investors and even oilfield giant Schlumberger NV are beginning to embrace environmentally friendly technologies to produce lithium that could help meet 25% or more of global demand for ...
- Intubation Science Selects ADM Tronics to Finalize Development and Manufacture of Breakthrough Intubation Systemon October 5, 2021 at 8:03 am
October 5, 2021 - ADM Tronics Unlimited, Inc. (OTCQB - ADMT) announced that Intubation Science, Inc. (“ISI”) has selected ADMT to finalize engineering development and manufacture of the Light Speed ...
- DESTEN Unveils the World’s First EV Ultra-Fast Charging Technology for Indonesian Marketon October 4, 2021 at 4:10 am
DESTEN, an ultra-fast charging battery pack and solution provider, is introducing the world's first ultra-fast charging solution alongside a DESTEN designed and engineered electric car which can ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Breakthrough water tech
The Latest Bing News on:
- Mills asked to block ‘ruinous’ fish farmon October 11, 2021 at 1:16 pm
The Mount Desert Select Board said in its letter to Mills that it is not opposed to aquaculture in general, but to the “industrial sized” fish farm that is being proposed.
- Union Minister L. Murugan visits Trout Fish Farming Project at Kokernag in south Kashmir’s Anantnagon October 11, 2021 at 4:20 am
Union Minister Dr. L. Murugan visited of Trout Fish Farming Project at Kokernag in Anantnag district yesterday. Mr Murugan, who is Minister of State for Information & Broadcasting and Fisheries, ...
- Aurally challenged man launches fish farm, seeks government supporton October 10, 2021 at 7:42 pm
An aurally challenged farmer, Emmanuel Isado, has launched a fish farm at Jakande Estate, Amuwo Odofin, Lagos, as part of efforts to make sources of protein affordable.
- Union MoS Fisheries visits Trout Fish Farming Project Kokernagon October 10, 2021 at 3:08 pm
As part of Central Government's Public Outreach Programme, Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting and Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Dr. L. Murugan today visited Trout Fish ...
- Union MoS visits Trout Fish Farming Projecton October 10, 2021 at 2:36 pm
As part of Central Government’s Public Outreach Programme, Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting and Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Dr. L. Murugan today visited Trout Fish ...
- Procurement graduate ventures into fish farming to fend for familyon October 8, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Maurice Odhiambo Shikuku ventured into fish farming after he failed to secure a job in 2019 when he graduated from Kisii University with a Diploma in Procurement. The 29-year-old, a father of three ...
- Fish farming in several Hyderabad lakes soon: Talasani Srinivas Yadavon October 7, 2021 at 6:43 pm
Hyderabad: Several lakes in the city will soon have fish farming after setting up of sewage treatment plants. They include Lotus Pond, Banjara Lake and Lake View Park. This was announced by Animal ...
- Opportunities For Small Scale Fish Farming Continue To Expandon October 5, 2021 at 5:40 pm
Fish farming, also called aquaculture, is one of the fastest growing areas of agriculture in the world. Most farmed fish comes from Asia, and more consumers are worried about the quality and potential ...
- How fish farming has grown since independenceon October 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
She says in 10 years to come, Uganda can produce 2,000,000 tonnes of fish on a sustainable basis if steps are taken to reduce illegal, unregulated and unreported (IUU) fishing.
- Farmers Turning To Fish Farming Using Barren, Saline Land In Sirsa Districton October 2, 2021 at 4:06 am
Saline land and saline water, which is called a curse for agriculture, is proving to be a boon for the farmers nowadays in the Sirsa district of Haryana, officials said on Saturday.