How is 3D printing changing the future of prosthetic and animatronic limbs?
17-year old inventor Easton LaChappelle from Colorado, built a prosthetic arm by generating most of the parts through a 3D printer.
“My goal is to create an affordable prosthetic for everyday use,” said LaChapelle.
When he was 14, he came up with an idea to built a robotic hand out of Lego bricks, fishing wire and servos. It was a challenge because he knew nothing about electronics or programming. But that idea triggered him to learn himself electronics and modeling software. The first version of robotic hands won him the 3rd place at the Colorado state science fair in 2011.
The second version of the hand grew into an arm. Using an open source hand from Thingiverse and help of a Makerbot 3D printer, LaChappelle was able to upgrade his animatronic gripper to a functional robotic arm with more 3D printed parts.
At the Colorado fair he met a little girl who was born without a right arm and wore an $80,000 prosthetic limb, and he was convinced he could do better.
Now 17, LaChappelle has completed the third version of his robotic hand and the costs is only around $250. His ‘Arduino Robotic Arm’ is up to shoulder and has the same functionality as a human arm. It connects to a brainwave headset that read the user’s brainwaves and get a focus rate, so when the user focuses on an object the hand will close and grasp an object. And the arm also has a feedback system using a force sensor and a vibrating motor to give the user a sense of touch.
This affordable prosthetic arm opens a lot of applications and is the perfect platform to change peoples life.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Man attacked on St. Louis street, robbed of prosthetic legon July 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Police are looking for a man who knocked another man down on an east St. Louis street and robbed him of his prosthetic right leg. The victim in Friday morning's attack and robbery was a 56-year-old ...
- St. Louis police searching for suspect who attacked man, took his prosthetic legon July 3, 2021 at 12:20 am
ST. LOUIS — Police are looking for a man in his late 20s or early 30s who struck a 56-year-old man in the face, knocked him down, punched and choked him while he was on the ground, then robbed him.
- Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Global Outlook Report, Industrial Opportunity, Forecast To 2028on June 30, 2021 at 11:45 pm
A recent market study published by FMI ‘Upper Limb Prosthetics Market: Global Industry Analysis & Opportunity Assessment‘, consists of a comprehensive assessment of the most important market dynamics.
- Adding A Gentle Touch To Prosthetic Limbs With Somatosensory Stimulationon June 30, 2021 at 10:00 am
When Nathan Copeland suffered a car accident in 2004, damage to his spinal cord at the C5/C6 level resulted in tetraplegic paralysis. This left him initially at the age of 18 years old to consider ...
- Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Size Estimates to 2027 | Industry Size, Current Trend, Competition, Growth, Product Price, Profit, and Future Demandson June 30, 2021 at 12:31 am
Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Research 2021-2027 aims to help decision makers create credible investment reviews by providing, analyzing information about strategically important ...
- Global Upper Limb Prosthesis Market 2021 Growth Statistics, Opportunities, Production Analysis and Business Growth to 2026on June 26, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Global Upper Limb Prosthesis Market Growth 2021-2026 published by MRInsightsbiz captures the basic information pertaining to the market al ...
- Glo-sponsored African Voices features Nigerian artificial limbs makeron June 25, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Crystal Chigbu started making artificial limbs following the traumatic experience she had as a mother of a congenitally deformed child whose limbs had to be amputated.
- Mumbai man gets prosthetic limb a yr after losing his leg while saving 30 liveson June 24, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Ab main chal sakta hoon, apne pairon par khada ho sakta hoon. Now I need a job, to support my family,” said 35-year-old Naveed Duste earlier this week during his daily physiotherapy in Panvel. Nearly ...
- 228 Benue Amputees Get Free Artificial Limbson June 24, 2021 at 1:24 am
No fewer than 228 amputees in Benue State have received free artificial limbs from a non-governmental organisation, Ishk Tolaram Foundation. The head of ...
- New type of artificial skin can form bruises that heal on their ownon June 22, 2021 at 5:28 pm
Researchers have created an artificial skin that can ‘bruise’ upon impact similar to actual skin, helping reveal when a robot or prosthetic is potentially damaged. The fake bruises are ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Affordable prosthetic arm
- 3D-Printed Prosthetic Puts The Power In The Hands Of Those Who Need Iton July 1, 2021 at 5:01 pm
In recent years, prosthetics have seen ... modifications to suit [Huchet’s] arm took another four days, but the final product is functional and uses affordable myoelectric sensors, boards ...
- 5 of the Coolest Prosthetic Arm Breakthroughson June 23, 2021 at 5:00 pm
New sensor technologies have enabled some of the latest prosthetic limbs to move and grip with same kind of precision that mind-controlled technologies provide. The latest sensor advancements provide ...
- An Affordable Prosthetic Handon June 20, 2021 at 4:59 pm
Arm and hand amputees may soon have a prosthetic that lets them type ... "We want to make this technology affordable for as many people as possible." Brain Robotics is a sister company of BrainCo, ...
- Inspired by Dr Kalam, Hyd Innovator Builds Lightweight Bionic Hand At 1/10 The Coston June 16, 2021 at 6:54 am
Hyderabad: Makers Hive, a assistive technology & healthcare startup, developed the KalArm, an affordable Bionic Arm dealing with amputations.
- Augmented Future Project Partners Video Game Designers with Prosthetic Engineerson June 9, 2021 at 5:00 pm
It’s an unusual partnership, but the goal is to create bionic arms that are functional, affordable, and that may even make jealous the rest of us with two boring real hands. Prosthetics is ...
- Hacklet 41 – Prosthetics Projectson June 3, 2021 at 4:59 pm
We start with [Open Bionics] and Affordable Bionic Hands For Amputees. The [Open Bionics] team are using 3D printers to bring the cost of a prosthetic arm and hand down from up to $100,000 USD to ...
- Robert Downey Jr. gives young fan his very own Iron Man-style bionic armon May 29, 2021 at 5:57 am
In a video released Thursday by Downey and Microsoft, a 7-year-old boy named Alex gets his very own functional prosthetic arm thanks to ... technology to design affordable limbs for children.
- Designer creates ultra-lightweight prosthetic arm for young children in Chinaon May 20, 2021 at 10:51 am
“Children’s arm muscles develop quickly ... The project offers free prostheses to children with physical disabilities by making affordable and high-quality 3D printed mechanical prosthetics with ...
- Makers Hive builds affordable bionic armon January 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Designed for upper limb amputees, the bionic arm is multi-functional and affordable. Launched in December 2020, the multi-functional prosthetic arm is embedded with electromagnetic sensors, is ...
- Johnny Silverhands bionic arm from Cyberpunk 2077 is becoming a real-world prosthetic armon December 14, 2020 at 3:04 pm
In a behind the scenes video, Xbox shows how Limbitless Solutions crafted the arm and gave ... printing to create prosthetic arms for children and adults that are more affordable and accessible ...