“The operational unmanned aircraft soon to be developed have the opportunity to radically change the way presence and combat power are delivered from our aircraft carriers.”
“It isn’t very often you get a glimpse of the future. Today, those of us aboard USS George H.W. Bush got that chance as we witnessed the X-47B make its first ever arrested landing aboard an aircraft carrier,” said Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus. “The operational unmanned aircraft soon to be developed have the opportunity to radically change the way presence and combat power are delivered from our aircraft carriers.”
Today’s demonstration was the first time a tailless, unmanned autonomous aircraft landed on a modern aircraft carrier.
This test marks an historic event for naval aviation that Navy leaders believe will impact the way the Navy integrates manned and unmanned aircraft on the carrier flight deck in the future.
“Today we witnessed the capstone moment for the Navy UCAS program as the team flawlessly performed integrated carrier operations aboard USS George H.W. Bush with the X-47B aircraft,” said Capt. Jaime Engdahl, Navy UCAS Program Manager. “Our precision landing performance, advanced autonomous flight controls and digital carrier air traffic control environment are a testament to the innovation and technical excellence of the Navy and Northrop Grumman team.”
The July 10 landing was the beginning of the final part of three at-sea test periods for X-47B during the last eight months, culminating a decade of Navy unmanned integration efforts that show the Navy’s readiness to move forward with unmanned carrier aviation says Rear Adm. Mat Winter, who oversees the Program Executive Office for Unmanned Aviation and Strike Weapons in Patuxent River, Md.
“This demonstration has enabled us to merge industry and government technologies together which will enable the U.S. Navy to pursue future unmanned aviation carrier capabilities,” said Winter, who witnessed the historic landing. “The government engineering and testing team in partnership with our Northrop Grumman team members have matured the technologies in this X-47B system to position us for today’s event, which marks a milestone in naval aviation.”
During today’s testing, the X-47B completed the 35-minute transit from Pax River to the carrier and caught the 3 wire with the aircraft’s tailhook. The arrested landing effectively brought the aircraft from approximately 145 knots to stop in less than 350 feet.
Shortly after the initial landing, the aircraft was launched off the ship using the carrier’s catapult. The X-47B then proceeded to execute one more arrested landing.
On the third approach to Bush the X-47B aircraft self detected a navigation computer anomaly that required the air vehicle to transit to the assigned shore based divert landing site, Wallops Island Air Field. The X-47B navigated to and landed without incident.
“We have been using the same [carrier] landing technology for more than 50 years now and the idea that we can take a large UAV and operate in that environment is fascinating,” said Engdahl.
“Across the entire spectrum of military operations, an integrated force of manned and unmanned platforms is the future,” said Ray Mabus. “The X-47B’s autonomous arrested landing aboard USS George H.W. Bush shows how the Navy and Marine Corps are riding the bow wave of technological advances to create this 21st century force.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Unmanned Combat Air System
- HAL Warrior Combat Air Teaming System [CATS]on February 24, 2021 at 4:11 am
Warrior is part of an indigenous program called Combat Air Teaming System [CATS], described as "a composite amalgamation of manned and unmanned platforms which work together to penetrate heavily ...
- KBR to Reinforce the US Navy’s Counter-Unmanned Air Systemson February 18, 2021 at 10:59 am
KBR has been awarded a $92.6 million contract to perform engineering, integration and sustainment services on counter unmanned air systems (C-UAS) for the Combat Integration & Identification Systems ...
- KBR Wins $92.6M Contract to Reinforce the U.S. Navy's Counter Unmanned Air Systems, Strengthens National Defenseon February 16, 2021 at 3:00 am
KBR (NYSE: KBR) won a $92.6 million contract to perform engineering, integration and sustainment services on counter unmanned air systems (C-UAS) for the Combat ...
- All about India's Warrior Drone: Air power teaming system explainedon February 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Combat Air Teaming System parts that were displayed at Aero India 2021 also included a cruise missile named CATS Hunter along with CATS ALFA-S switchblade swarm drone. This manned-unmanned teaming ...
- DARPA begins development of LongShot air-launched combat droneon February 8, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Called LongShot, the unmanned vehicle is intended to be launched from the air from a carrier ... to supplement its fleets of combat aircraft with unmanned systems, with the Gremlin drone, which ...
- Anglo-French defence co-operation contract to develop unmanned combat air systemson February 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Mr Gray said that the development of Unmanned Combat Air Systems is of vital importance to the UK and France, “which have the most capable and experienced armed forces in Europe and well ...
- HAL unveils ambitious air-teaming system centred on Tejason February 3, 2021 at 8:13 pm
Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) has unveiled a developmental air-teaming system that will incorporate the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft with various unmanned assets. HAL has received the necessary ...
- unmanned aerial systemson February 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The U.S. military should begin fielding low-cost, low-collateral counter-drone systems as early as next year, officials told reporters in a February 2 conference call. The Army has been designated the ...
- How India's New Warrior Drone Can Help Reshape Air Combaton February 1, 2021 at 9:23 am
The drone, called Warrior, is part of an indigenous programme called CATS or Combat Air Teaming System, described as "a composite amalgamation of manned and unmanned platforms which work together ...
- The Royal Air Force Signed A Contract For Its First Loyal Wingman Unmanned Aerial Vehicleon January 26, 2021 at 3:59 pm
The unmanned aircraft project ... innovative combat air technologies and concepts under the Future Combat Air System Technology Initiative (FCAS TI), the same programme which generated Tempest.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Unmanned Combat Air System
The Latest Bing News on:
- Global UAV and Draganfly Terminate Agreementon February 26, 2021 at 3:10 pm
Global UAV Technologies Ltd. (CSE: UAV) (OTC Pink: YRLLF) (FSE: YAB2) (the "Company" or "Global UAV"), is announcing pursuant to a news release dated November 7th, 2020, Dronelogics Systems Inc.
- SPH Engineering’s UgCS software now supports Velos UAV helicopteron February 26, 2021 at 11:55 am
The Velos UAV helicopter has passed field tests to become the first single-rotor helicopter supported by UgCS software, according to SPH Engineering.
- Fixed Wing Commercial UAV Market Business Plans and Statistics Conclusions by the End of 2031on February 26, 2021 at 9:39 am
The latest research report provides a complete assessment of the Global Fixed wing commercial UAV market for the forecast year 2022-2031, which is beneficial for companies regardless of their size and ...
- UAV Jamming Resistance Boosted 400% in Flight Trialson February 25, 2021 at 9:58 am
InfiniDome Ltd., a GPS security company, demonstrated increased GNSS resiliency to hostile jamming by 400% in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) flight trials spon ...
- Done Deal: AeroVironment Completes Acquisition of Arcturus UAVon February 24, 2021 at 9:12 pm
Arcturus UAV Is Now A Wholly-Owned Subsidiary Operating Under The AeroVironment Brand. AeroVironment has completed its acquisition of Arcturus UAV, Inc. The approximately $405 mil ...
- Global Hybrid UAV Drone Market: Growth will Accelerate at CAGR value, SWOT Analysis and EBITA Analysis | Know Moreon February 24, 2021 at 12:57 am
Global Hybrid UAV Drone market 2021 2027 Report has been highlighted by Syndicate Market Research Organization and has Extensive data on factors that will amplify the growth of Hybrid UAV Drone Market ...
- UAV Payload Market Strategies, Technological Innovation, Trends & Top Players by 2027on February 22, 2021 at 12:31 pm
The unnamed ariel vehicle UAV payload a drone indispensably carries extra weight which is not included in the weight of the drone itself This weight includes extra cameras sensors or packages for ...
- Flint Hills Solutions and UAV Navigation Announce a Strategic Partnershipon February 22, 2021 at 12:04 pm
Flint Hills Solutions and UAV Navigation are pleased to announce a Strategic Partnership to work together in North America to integrate their joint technologies onto the FH-900 series fully autonomous ...
- EHang's Steep Business Growth And Potential In Other UAV Market Segmentson February 22, 2021 at 10:02 am
Unmanned aerial vehicles' recent growth not only relied on external factors like an increasing market dynamic in the UAV industry and urban air mobility sector but also self-innovation. Three elements ...
- AeroVironment, Inc. Completes Acquisition of Arcturus UAV, Expands Portfolio with Medium Unmanned Aircraft Systemson February 22, 2021 at 6:10 am
AeroVironment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVAV), a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems, today announced it had completed its acquisition of Arcturus UAV, Inc. a leading designer and manufacturer of ...