Researchers at the University of Alicante have developed a cementitious material incorporating carbon nanofibers in its composition, turning cement into an excellent conductor of electricity capable of performing functions beyond its usual structural function.
This new technology, developed and patented by the UA Civil Engineering Department’s Research Group in Multifunctional Concrete Conductors, allows, among other functions, the material to heat up due to the passage of current.
“The technology allows buildings’ premises to heat or prevents the formation of ice on infrastructure, such as highways, railways, roads, airstrips and other elements”, lecturer Pedro Garcés, head of research, explains.
“To obtain a cementitious compound effective as the heating element, this should have a low resistivity. This is not achieved in conventional concrete because they are poor conductors of electricity. However, this can be achieved by the addition of conductive materials such as, for example, carbonaceous materials”, Pedro Garcés adds.
In this way, a new conductive compound with much more interesting properties is achieved since it keeps the structural properties of concrete and does not compromise the durability of the structures themselves.
This new product has a great versatility, since any existing structure or surface can be coated with it, keeping thermal control in it by applying continuous electric current.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Corbett Freeman looks to cement family legacy at Staggon June 20, 2021 at 6:30 am
Freeman's temper, work ethic and knowledge of the game closely resemble the way his father, Corbett Sr., played during his high school career. Norton should know. These days Norton, who's had roles at ...
- Kevin Dotson Poised to Use Sophomore Season to Cement Left Guardon June 18, 2021 at 8:00 am
After an impressive rookie season, Kevin Dotson appears ready to be the Pittsburgh Steelers' next longstanding offensive lineman.
- Dalmia Bharat Sees Uptick in Cement Demand as India Spends Moreon June 17, 2021 at 10:27 pm
Dalmia Bharat Ltd., India’s fourth-largest cement manufacturer, is seeing a recovery in demand for the construction material as the devastating second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic in the country ...
- Cement prices newest obstacle facing Austin homebuilderson June 17, 2021 at 12:49 pm
In Austin, a city starving for new housing, homebuilders are feeling the strain of a global lumber shortage. Now, cement prices are spiking, potentially pouring more cold water on Austin’s attempts to ...
- Hawaiian Cement permit for quarry operations approvedon June 17, 2021 at 9:30 am
The state Land Use Commission unanimously approved a 15-year time extension on a permit that lets Hawaiian Cement continue rock quarry and concrete recycling operations at Pohakea Quarry in Waikapu.
- Global Fiber Cement Market Growth 2021: Top Key Players, SWOT Analysis, COVID 19 Impact and Recovery to 2025on June 17, 2021 at 6:41 am
Global “Fiber Cement Market” report provides the newest industry data and industry future trends to identify the ...
- Cement truck crash on U.S. 23 leaves one seriously injuredon June 16, 2021 at 12:16 pm
A man driving a cement truck was seriously injured Tuesday morning when he crashed into the back of a semitruck on U.S. 23, left the roadway and his vehicle rolled, police said. Police and rescue ...
- Huaxin Cement targets East Africaon June 16, 2021 at 5:40 am
The latest piece of China-based Huaxin Cement’s global ambitions slotted into place this week with the news that it is preparing to buy plants in ...
- Rationing cement: How COVID, the February winter storm and a roaring Texas economy have paved the way to a tight cement supplyon June 14, 2021 at 4:34 pm
A major kiln is still down...and demand could soon be going up. In the latest episode of Y'all-itics, we explore when cement supplies in Texas might recover.
- Adani's cement foray to challenge Birla, LafargeHolcim, Dalmia, Jindalon June 13, 2021 at 11:49 am
The Adani Group, which has a combined market value of Rs 9.5 lakh crore, will also benefit from value unlocking in cement business, said industry experts.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Fantasy NASCAR: Ally 400 at Nashville Superspeedway Driver Rankingson June 19, 2021 at 5:13 pm
SI Fantasy NASCAR expert Brian Polking breaks down this week's driver rankings for the Ally 400 at Nashville Superspeedway.
- How do you make concrete more environmentally friendly?on June 18, 2021 at 1:00 am
In this week's issue of our environment newsletter, we explore the idea of less carbon-intensive concrete and how scientists mapped a deadly Himalayan glacier flood.
- Cement Sector Update - Volumes, Volumes, Volumes: Dolat Capitalon June 15, 2021 at 5:48 pm
As the sentiments move on to the post Covid-19 cyclical recovery, we decipher the levers at play for the cement players. We observe that for our coverage universe (12 companies, cumulative 73% of ...
- Biazon slams another construction of concrete wall in Bilibid compoundon June 14, 2021 at 9:43 pm
Muntinlupa Representative Ruffy Biazon on Tuesday denounced the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) for blocking another access road within the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) reservation.
- JK Cement Q4 Review - Strong Volume Ramp-Up: ICICI Securitieson June 14, 2021 at 11:38 am
JK Cement Ltd.’s Q4 FY21 standalone adjusted Ebitda at Rs 4.8 billion (up 38% YoY), was broadly in line with consensus estimates. Grey cement volumes including clinker sales showed strong growth at 48 ...
- JSW Cement enters construction chemicals businesson June 14, 2021 at 6:28 am
JSW Cement has established a 0.3-million-ton manufacturing facility in Ballari in Karnataka to produce its construction chemical product range.
- JSW Cement enters construction chemical segment with green product categoryon June 14, 2021 at 1:40 am
Sajjan Jindal-led JSW Cement has entered the construction chemical sector with the launch of a unique green product range in the category. The sector offers new opportunities for JSW Cement to combine ...
- JSW Cement enters construction chemicals business, launches green productson June 14, 2021 at 12:45 am
The range comprises 'Enduro Plast' readymix plaster, 'Krysta Leakproof' integral crystalline waterproofing compound and 'Duraflor' floorhardner, it said in a statement.
- JSW Cement enters construction chemicals biz, launches green productson June 14, 2021 at 12:30 am
JSW Cement Business Head - Construction Chemicals, Mubin Hussain said the construction chemicals and drymix industry sector is roughly Rs 12,000 crore with an expected compound annual growth rate of ...
- Builders, cement makers spar over price hikeon June 12, 2021 at 6:34 pm
While developers have alleged cartelisation by manufacturers, the real estate firms have been accused of inflating prices ...