Researchers at the University of Alicante have developed a cementitious material incorporating carbon nanofibers in its composition, turning cement into an excellent conductor of electricity capable of performing functions beyond its usual structural function.
This new technology, developed and patented by the UA Civil Engineering Department’s Research Group in Multifunctional Concrete Conductors, allows, among other functions, the material to heat up due to the passage of current.
“The technology allows buildings’ premises to heat or prevents the formation of ice on infrastructure, such as highways, railways, roads, airstrips and other elements”, lecturer Pedro Garcés, head of research, explains.
“To obtain a cementitious compound effective as the heating element, this should have a low resistivity. This is not achieved in conventional concrete because they are poor conductors of electricity. However, this can be achieved by the addition of conductive materials such as, for example, carbonaceous materials”, Pedro Garcés adds.
In this way, a new conductive compound with much more interesting properties is achieved since it keeps the structural properties of concrete and does not compromise the durability of the structures themselves.
This new product has a great versatility, since any existing structure or surface can be coated with it, keeping thermal control in it by applying continuous electric current.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Indiana port readies to handle big cargo for cement planton May 2, 2021 at 2:30 pm
A southern Indiana port on the Ohio River is preparing to handle barges loaded with parts as heavy as 100 tons for a cement plant’s $600 million expansion.
- In South Texas, Hispanic Republicans Try to Cement the Party’s Gainson May 2, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Conservative Hispanic leaders, especially women, are ascendant in the Rio Grande Valley, where Republicans are trying to forge lasting bonds with voters who swung sharply to the right in 2020.
- Glass Cement Market Condition, Estimations and Forecast By 2026 |Henkel, GC, 3M, DENTSPLY SIRONA, Dow Inc, etcon May 2, 2021 at 4:45 am
Latest research report, titled “Global Glass Cement Market Insights 2021 and Forecast 2026, This includes overview and deep study of factors which are considered to have greater influence over future ...
- Havertz stars as Chelsea cement hold on fourth placeon May 1, 2021 at 11:41 am
Chelsea cemented their grip on fourth place in the Premier League as Kai Havertz struck twice to seal a 2-0 win over struggling Fulham on Saturday. Thomas Tuchel's side warmed up for Wednesday's ...
- Dangote Cement to pay N40.39 bn in corporate taxon May 1, 2021 at 8:33 am
Nigeria’s Dangote Cement Plc is expected to pay a total of N40.39 billion in taxation to the nation’s treasury from its operational result in ...
- NY Cement Plant To Pay $850K For Water Pollutionon April 30, 2021 at 4:49 pm
A New York cement plant will pay an $850,000 penalty for discharging aluminum, oil, grease and other toxins into a creek that connects to the Hudson River for years, and update its water pollution ...
- Votorantim Cimentos and CDPQ Close Transaction to Combine Cement Operations in North Americaon April 30, 2021 at 10:01 am
St. Marys Cement Inc. and McInnis Cement to begin jointly manufacturing, distributing and selling cement in Canada and the United StatesTORONTO ...
- Ambuja Cement's massive 20 MT capacity expansion to cost Rs 10,000 croreon April 30, 2021 at 6:25 am
Ambuja's upcoming facility in Marwar Mundwa, Rajasthan will enhance clinker capacity by 3 MTPA and help improve cement sales by 5 MTPA, contributing to long term strategy of capacity expansion ...
- Republic Cement expects strong growth in the Philippineson April 30, 2021 at 6:00 am
Philippines: Republic Cement has said that it expects the cement sector in the Philippines to grow strongly in 2021 following a 10% decline in ...
- Teen Faceplants into Wet Cement While Fleeing Policeon April 30, 2021 at 3:48 am
The suspect was later arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault with a firearm, possession of stolen things and possession of marijuana.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Putting the art in fabric architectureon April 30, 2021 at 5:01 pm
A successful work of public art today should not be treated as an object sitting in the environment; rather it should be interpreted as the environment. —James Wines, American artist and architect ...
- Selling the Kaufmann Houseon April 28, 2021 at 7:31 pm
The next owner of the Kaufmann House in Palm Springs will need $20 million and, as previous stewards attest, a passion for preservation.
- Agnipareeksha: Bengaluru's TR Mills compound flooded with dead bodieson April 28, 2021 at 6:36 pm
And now the TR Mills open cremation ground, which started taking in both covid and non-covid bodies is seeing close to 100 bodies every day. ...
- Durable, Low-Maintenance Fire Station Flooring and Wallcoveringson April 27, 2021 at 11:36 am
Candice Wong provides the thinking that must be applied to choosing materials for a firehouse's various floors and walls.
- MP donates cement for Jawia self-help Clinicon April 27, 2021 at 10:35 am
Member of Parliament for the Sissala West constituency, Mr Mohammed Adam Sukparu has donated 100 bags of cement to support the Jawia community to complete a self-initiated health post project.
- The High Cost Of Cementon April 26, 2021 at 5:58 pm
BY OUR EDITORS Nigerians have watched helplessly as the retail price of a bag of cement, irrespective of the brand, has skyrocketed from N1,000 in 2014 to ...
- Fly Ash Market Size, Industry Report by Share, Growth, Key Regions, Segments, Trends, Technology and Forecast till 2028on April 21, 2021 at 4:42 am
fly ash contains aluminous and silicious material that forms cement within the presence of water. ash once mixed with lime and water forms a compound similar to Portland cement. Coal discharged power ...
- Self-Compacting Concrete Market 2021 Growth, COVID Impact, Trends Analysis Report 2027on April 20, 2021 at 12:07 am
The self compressed concrete market is expected to reach USD 18 4 billion by 2028 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 6 over the forecast period from 2021 to 2027 In addition ...
- Holcim launches water-repellent, ‘environment-friendly’ cementon April 15, 2021 at 5:06 pm
“These make it easier to build water-resistant structures compared with current practices, where builders apply a repellent on walls or include a water-proofing compound to the concrete mix,” it said.