Researchers estimate that food availability must double in the next 25 years
With fewer than a dozen flowering plants out of 300,000 species accounting for 80 percent of humanity’s caloric intake, people need to tap unused plants to feed the world in the near future, claims Cornell University plant geneticist Susan McCouch in the Comment feature of the July 4 issue of Nature.
To keep pace with population growth and rising incomes around the world, researchers estimate that food availability must double in the next 25 years. The biodiversity stored in plant gene banks coupled with advances in genetics and plant breeding may hold the keys for meeting the demands of more food in the face of climate change, soil degradation and water and land shortages, according to the paper.
“Gene banks hold hundreds of thousands of seeds and tissue culture materials collected from farmer’s fields and from wild, ancestral populations, providing the raw material that plant breeders need to create crops of the future,” said McCouch.
For example, after screening more than 6,000 varieties from seed banks, plant breeders identified and crossbred a single wild species of rice, Oryza nivara; the result is a variety that has protected against grassy stunt virus disease in almost all tropical rice varieties in Asia for the past 36 years, the paper states.
Similarly, by 1997, the value of using crop wild relatives as sources of environmental resilience and resistance to pests and diseases led to an estimated $115 billion in annual benefits to the world economy. Though seeds are readily accessible in 1,700 gene banks throughout the world, “they are not used to their full potential in plant breeding,” McCouch said.
At present, it is difficult for breeders to make use of the wealth of genetic material in seed banks because of a lack of information about the genes in most plants and the traits they confer, she said. Due to the time and effort required to identify and then use wild and unadapted genetic resources, “a breeder must have a good idea about the genetic value of an uncharacterized resource before attempting to use it in a breeding program,” McCouch said.
In the paper, McCouch and colleagues outlined a three-point plan to address these constraints:
• A massive genetic sequencing effort on seed-bank holdings to document what exists in the collections, to strategically target experiments to evaluate what traits a plant has (called phenotyping) and to begin to predict plant performance.
• A broad phenotyping initiative, not only of the gene bank holdings, but also of the progeny generated from crossing wild and exotic materials to adapted varieties targeted for local use.
• An internationally accessible informatics infrastructure to coordinate data that are currently managed independently by gene-bank curators, agronomists and breeders.
The estimated cost for such a systematic, collaborative global effort to help characterize the genetic resources needed to feed the future is about $200 million annually, according to McCouch.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Savana raises a fresh round of capital to digitize banks’ serviceson August 2, 2022 at 11:28 am
Savana, a company providing services to digitize banks' operations, has raised $35 million in a Series A round and $10 million in debt.
- Identity verification company Youverify extends seed funding to $2.5M as it expands across Africaon August 2, 2022 at 9:27 am
Youverify, an identity verification company helping African banks and startups, is announcing that it has secured a $1 million seed round extension.
- Medvedev, Swiatek get top seeds for upcoming National Bank Open tennis tournamentson August 1, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Defending champion Daniil Medvedev has been named the top seed for the upcoming National Bank Open men’s tennis tournament in Montreal, while Iga Swiatek is the top seed for ...
- Dbank Raises Largest Seed Round in Pakistan at $17.6Mon July 29, 2022 at 7:00 am
Dbank, a Pakistani fintech founded by two former Google staffers, has raised $17.6 million in a seed funding round co-led by Sequoia Southeast Asia and Kleiner Perkins. Brazilian digital banking giant ...
- 12 Best Seed Banks - Top-rated Reputable Cannabis Seed Companies that Ship to USAon July 28, 2022 at 12:48 pm
The seed bank is made up of a team of cannabis fanatics: the founder alone (Robert Bergman) has over 25 years in the hemp industry, so you can tell they’re passionate about prov ...
- 'Seed mecca': Local leaders tour new seed processing facilityon July 22, 2022 at 11:15 pm
Idaho’s southwest, including Canyon County, is considered one of the most important vegetable seed producing regions in the world.
- Banking on seedson July 20, 2022 at 7:08 pm
Once up and running, the newly furbished facility was commissioned as the current project’s seed bank. She said, “There are three different types of seed banks. You have the assitentialist ...
- Push Security Banks $4 Million Seed Fundingon July 19, 2022 at 12:22 pm
The London-based firm said the $4 million seed round was led by Decibel, a Silicon Valley VC firm betting on cybersecurity and open source startups. Several prominent security executives, including ...
- 10 Best Cannabis Seed Banks To Buy Cannabis Seeds Online in 2022 (Ships to US)on July 18, 2022 at 12:01 am
So, where are they turning? Most likely, to the hundreds if not thousands of cannabis seed banks found online, just a Google search away. Seed banks, for the uninitiated, are repositories that ...
- Native species conservation bolstered by community-based seed bankson July 15, 2022 at 3:46 am
“We are trying to save our heritage,” says Adhikari, secretary of the Maramche Community Seed Bank, established in 2020 to conserve local 12 varieties of crops that include rice, cucumbers and maize. ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Double-crop options widening in the Midweston August 3, 2022 at 1:15 pm
It’s technically more difficult but interesting idea.” The USDA is implementing a policy that would increase crop insurance options that target double-cropping systems. That could potentially entice ...
- Recent rains were helpful, but they can also contribute to plant diseaseon August 3, 2022 at 2:02 am
Recent rains in the Tri-State will likely promote disease on many of our plants. Plants that have a prolonged period in which they stay wet are much more susceptible to disease infection. Plant ...
- Plant Genetics a Focus of New Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station Statisticianon August 1, 2022 at 10:14 pm
Samuel Fernandes, an agricultural statistics assistant professor, combines computer science advances with elements of agriculture to help plant breeders, growers and consumers.
- Plant breeders urged to talk up their advanceson August 1, 2022 at 7:00 am
LEADERS from the Australian plant breeding sector have urged those in the grains industry to talk openly about technology developments to lessen a potential fear factor among consumers. Gregor Heard ...
- Bruckner’s legacy of excellence in winter wheat breedingon August 1, 2022 at 4:45 am
Phil Bruckner, former Montana State University and Montana Ag Experiment Station winter wheat breeder, has left behind a long legacy of developing strong winter wheat varieties that were popular with ...
- From Romania To Germany, New UF Scientist Will Use AI To Help Plant Breeding Applicationson July 26, 2022 at 9:37 am
As a young child in Romania’s second-largest city, Cătălin Voiniciuc loved visiting his grandparents’ farm in a remote village. “While enjoying many ...
- Plant Breeding and CRISPR Plants Market in 2022 | MDC Detailed Analysis Reporton July 18, 2022 at 4:43 am
Plant Breeding And Crispr Plants Market by Vendor Assessment, Technology Assessment, Partner & Customer Ecosystem, type/solution, service, organization size, end-use verticals, and Region ...
- Seeds and Plant Breeding market - Global Industry analysis, size, share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2022 To 2028.on July 13, 2022 at 12:59 am
The "Seeds and Plant Breeding Market Research Report" Bayer,Limagrain,DuPont,Syngenta,DLF Trifolium published by Report Mines provides Seeds and Plant Breeding, value chain analysis on the revenue ...
- Seeds and Plant Breeding Market Key Player Bayer,DuPont,Syngenta,Limagrain,DLF Trifolium Sales, Revenue from 2022 to 2028 and Customer Data.on July 8, 2022 at 12:01 am
This report shows market strategic analysis, micro and macro market trend and scenarios, pricing analysis, and a holistic review of the "Seeds and Plant Breeding market" in the forecast period ...
- Molecules boosting plant immunity identifiedon July 7, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Now, in two landmark studies, scientists led by Jijie Chai and Jane Parker from the Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research in Cologne and the University of Cologne, Germany ...