Life saving medicine doesn’t like hot temperatures, which makes it hard to get it to the remote villages where it’s often most needed.
The amazing new Passive Vaccine Storage Device keeps health workers informed about its movements and its cargo, and keeps that cargo totally cool for 30 days.
Every year, over 1 million children die from diseases that are preventable with vaccines. The problem isn’t just that vaccines aren’t available. Even when they are, breakdowns in the refrigerated vaccine supply chain (aka the “cold chain”)–which often occur in areas where power is unreliable–make them unusable.
Global Good, a collaboration between Bill Gates and Intellectual Ventures, is pilot-testing a possible solution: the Passive Vaccine Storage Device, dubbed the “super-thermos” by Gates. The device, which has been in the works since 2008 (when Gates first challenged Intellectual Ventures to tackle the problem), keeps vaccines between zero and eight degrees Celsius for 30 to 60 days, depending on outside temperatures and humidity. That’s a big deal in many parts of the developing world, where health officials often see cold storage devices that can keep vaccines fresh for five days at the absolute maximum.
As you might guess from Gates’s nickname for the device, the super-thermos was inspired by the humble coffee thermos. “It’s a super-insulated, double-walled dewarthat holds the vaccine and ice in the middle in an inner bottle. A vacuum space separates it from the outer bottle, like a large coffee thermos,” says Kurt Armbruster, the project’s leader. The device features many layers of insulation in the vacuum space–the same insulation technology used to protect spacecraft from high temperatures.
If health officials are going to spend big bucks for something–the device costs $1,100–they’ll want to know if it’s being used correctly. So Global Good built in sensors and SMS capabilities for officials to keep track of the super-thermos’s location, interior temperature, exterior temperature, how long it has been opened, and for how long.
There are three layers to the capabilities: a simple temperature monitoring system inside and outside the device that logs data every 15 minutes and can be monitored when health workers plug in a USB stick; an SMS antenna and SMS telemetry system that dials out to a local phone number every night at midnight and sends a summary of the day’s temperatures, location, and statistics about how long and when it has been opened; and a GPS sensor that allows officials to track where the units are at any given time. Every device comes with all the feature sets, though Global Good says it will probably sell the super-thermoses in a basic and “plus” version.
The Latest Bing News on:
Passive Vaccine Storage Device
- Russia cuts gas through Nord Stream 1 to 20% of capacityon July 27, 2022 at 4:09 am
The government said last week that the drop in gas flows confirmed that Germany can’t rely on Russian deliveries, announcing that it would step up its gas storage requirements and take further ...
- 5 Ways To Make Money in One Houron July 26, 2022 at 4:48 am
There are several ways to earn money in under an hour, and some involve working a casual side gig. Other approaches tend to fly under the radar and are more about finding out where you are ...
- Flare-Up: Fauci Gets Heated as Delta Variant Infections Riseon July 19, 2022 at 5:00 pm
“[The vaccine] protects against clinically apparent disease and ... One of the ways data is collected is through passive surveillance, or information people give to hospitals when they show up and get ...
- Ultimate Ears' latest earbuds fit like in-ear monitorson July 19, 2022 at 6:27 am
There's no active noise cancellation (ANC), but the custom-fitting tips should provide better passive noise isolation ... manage connected devices, configure voice controls and more.
- Social Media Has Big Impact on People Taking Up Smoking, Vapingon July 13, 2022 at 6:31 am
Both active engagement, which included liking, posting, sharing, commenting and searching for content, and passive engagement, which meant just scrolling through the content, were associated with ...
- Slow pace for youngest kids getting COVID vaccine doseson July 7, 2022 at 3:28 pm
Some doctors opted not to offer the shots because of cold storage requirements or concern about wasting doses. The vaccine comes in multi-dose vials that must be used within 12 hours after opening.
- Refrigerated Truck Market Worth USD 13.9 Billion by 2030 at 11.80% CAGR - Report by Market Research Future (MRFR)on July 7, 2022 at 1:54 am
It is popularly used for the transportation of frozen food (frozen truck), vaccine drugs (vaccine carriers ... sensitive goods and supplies. It is a storage unit connected to a semi-truck ...
- In Chicago, Flooding Overwhelmingly Strikes Communities of Coloron July 1, 2021 at 2:28 pm
In the early 1970s, Chicago embarked on one of the region’s most ambitious and expensive infrastructure projects to date: the Tunnel and Reservoir Project or “Deep Tunnel,” a massive storage system ..
- Mast cell-orchestrated immunity to pathogenson June 26, 2021 at 9:12 pm
These qualities also make them effective targets to enhance immune responses to vaccine antigens ... seem to function as long distance delivery devices for their cargo, including inflammatory ...
- Ensuring quality and access for malaria diagnosis: how can it be achieved?on June 8, 2021 at 2:53 pm
Sensitivity must be maintained throughout the distribution process and during storage in remote health posts 66. In reality, exposure of the RDTs to temperatures above 50°C during transportation ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Passive Vaccine Storage Device
The Latest Bing News on:
- Failed Monkeypox Vaccine Rollout Now Bringing Fresh Pandemic Threaton July 29, 2022 at 11:30 pm
While 300,000 doses sat unused in Denmark, signing up for a vaccine in the U.S. was “like getting tickets to Burning Man” ...
- After vaccine delays, Monkeypox is spreading—and at risk of becoming endemic, doctors warnon July 29, 2022 at 7:00 am
The virus has spread to more than 4,900 Americans, including two children, after critical delays in distributing vaccines.
- Moderna COVID vaccine is more effective in older and sicker veterans over timeon July 28, 2022 at 8:44 pm
Researchers report the higher effectiveness of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine as compared to the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
- More than 780K doses of monkeypox vaccine available Friday; San Francisco declares state of emergencyon July 28, 2022 at 6:09 pm
The government distributed 300,000 doses this month and announced Wednesday another 786,000 are available – bringing the total to over 1.1 million.
- We Don't Need a White House Monkeypox 'Coordinator.' We Just Need the Vaccines.on July 27, 2022 at 3:35 pm
As monkeypox spreads in the U.S. and people scream for vaccines, the Biden administration instead mulls unneeded coordination efforts ...
- Global Vaccines Storage Equipment Market 2022 Top Key Players, Industry Demand, Future Estimations and Key Tactics to 2028on July 27, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Added to the extensive database of MarketsandResearch.biz titled Global Vaccines Storage Equipment Market 2022 ...
- NJ designates Camden County a regional storage hub for monkeypox vaccineon July 27, 2022 at 5:02 am
Camden County is serving as one of six storage hubs in New Jersey for the monkeypox vaccine. Due to the small distribution of the vaccine nationwide, the Camden County regional hub only has 50 doses ...
- The future of COVID vaccines could be sprays, not shotson July 26, 2022 at 4:14 pm
Experts gathered at a White House COVID vaccine summit on Tuesday to discuss improving inoculation and developing new options for the future ...
- DMS says four decades old smallpox vaccine in storage still effective against monkeypoxon July 25, 2022 at 1:21 am
BANGKOK: Despite there being no dedicated vaccine for monkeypox currently available, health authorities in Thailand have said that smallpox vaccines that are decades old may be used instead.
- Is This Vaccine Stock a Buy After Big News?on July 22, 2022 at 3:45 am
But can FDA approval be enough to carry the stock upward? On July 13 the FDA granted an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine, CovoVax, following European Medicines Agency ...