A new use for glass is being developed by researchers in Penn State’s Materials Research Institute that could make future hybrid-electric and plug-in electric vehicles more affordable and reliable.
Thin and flexible glass for displays is already a widely commercialized technology. But even thinner glass, about one tenth the thickness of display glass, can be customized to store energy at high temperatures and for high power applications, such as electric vehicle power electronics, wind turbine generators, grid-tied photovoltaics, aerospace, and geothermal exploration and drilling.
In a recent paper in the new journal Energy Technology, postdoctoral researcher and lead author Mohan Manoharan and colleagues report on experiments with various alkali-free glass compositions and thicknesses, comparing their energy density and power density to commercial polymer capacitors currently used in electric vehicles to convert energy from the battery to the electric motor. Because polymer capacitors are designed to operate at lower temperatures, they require a separate cooling system and a larger safety factor, which adds to their bulk. In his research, Manoharan identified 10-micron thick glass from Nippon Electric Glass (NEG) as having an ideal combination of high energy density and power density, with high charge-discharge efficiency at temperatures up to 180 °C and, in more recent experiments, even higher.
Partnering with NEG leverages the investment of leading glass manufacturers in developing the processes to create continuous sheets of glass with less thickness and fewer defects. Working with State College-based Strategic Polymer Sciences, the researchers are developing the capability to produce inexpensive roll-to-roll glass capacitors with high energy density (35 J/cc3) and high reliability.
In work funded by the Department of Energy, Manoharan and the Penn State team led by Michael Lanagan, professor of engineering science and mechanics, are collaborating with Strategic Polymer Sciences to coat the glass with high temperature polymers that increase energy density by 2.25 times compared to untreated glass, and also significantly increase self-healing capabilities. Self-healing or graceful failure is an important consideration in applications where reliability is a critical factor.
“These flexible glass capacitors will reduce weight and cost if replacing polypropylene capacitors,” Manoharan said. “They could be used in any high energy density capacitor application – not only in electric vehicles, but in heart defibrillators or weapons systems such as the electric railgun the navy is developing.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Amazing answers to the world's biggest energy questionon March 2, 2021 at 10:13 pm
Renewable energy currently makes up a third of the global energy supply, but there's a problem if demand is set to grow: storage. Many renewable sources including wind, solar and hydropower are ...
- Tata Power DDL rolls out live peer-to-peer solar energy trading projecton March 2, 2021 at 8:45 pm
Tata Power Delhi Distribution and Australian tech firm Power Ledger on Wednesday announced the launch of the first live peer-to-peer solar energy trading project in Delhi. Tata Power DDL and Power ...
- Global Residential Solar Energy Storage Market 2020 Top Industry Players, Regional Study, Growth Drivers, Challenges and Opportunities by 2025on March 2, 2021 at 2:06 pm
MarketsandResearch.biz proclaims the addition of a new report titled Global Residential Solar Energy Storage Market Growth 2020-2025 offers broad insights extracted by thoroughly analyzing historical ...
- Sunverge Distributed Energy Resource Control, Orchestration and Aggregation Platform Supports Panasonic EverVolt™ Residential Battery Storage Systemon March 2, 2021 at 6:00 am
Sunverge, the provider of an industry-leading real-time Distributed Energy Resource (DER) control and aggregation platform, today announced that the Sunverge Energy Platform and the Sunverge Infinity ...
- Informa Markets – Engineering Leads the Charge in Energy Storage News and Insights with Launch of New Digital Media Brand, Battery Technologyon March 1, 2021 at 9:28 pm
Informa Markets – Engineering, the battery and EV experts behind industry-leading online and live events, The Battery Show and Electric & Hybrid Vehicle Technology Expo (EV Tech Expo) in Novi, ...
- New Battery Tech Could Make Solar Energy Storage Even Cheaperon March 1, 2021 at 10:00 am
US-based engineers have joined forces to develop high-voltage reference batteries for behind-the-meter energy storage applications, based on a bipolar technology that uses silicon wafers in traditiona ...
- Siemens Energy and Intermountain Power Agency Drive Transition to Sustainable Energy Through Study of Hydrogen Energy Storage at a Utility-Scale Power Plant in Utahon March 1, 2021 at 5:56 am
... that it has teamed up with Intermountain Power Agency to perform a conceptual design study on integrating a hydrogen energy storage system into an advanced class combined cycle power plant. The ...
- 100% renewable energy could power the world by 2030, experts sayon March 1, 2021 at 2:43 am
Experts say the potential for rapid transformation of the world’s energy system has a parallel in the speed with which cars replaced horses in the 1900s.
- Advanced Energy Storage Market Is Booming Worldwide with Active Power, Inc., Aes Energy Storageon February 25, 2021 at 9:02 am
This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire Edison, NJ -- ( SBWIRE) -- 02/25/2021 -- Latest released the research study on Global Advanced Energy Storage Market, offers a detailed overview ...
- Global advanced battery energy storage system market size to accumulate USD 221.12 billion by 2027on February 25, 2021 at 2:07 am
Global advanced battery energy storage system market size to accumulate USD 221.12 billion by 2027Selbyville, Delaware, Feb. 25, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Seasoned analysts claim that global advanced ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Glass for energy storage
- Now is the winter of our Covid discontent – but can a bright new spring be on the horizon?on March 1, 2021 at 7:28 pm
In addition, Covid-19 has become a magnifying glass for the major challenges of our time ... The first is the efficient energy suite. This is a combination of renewables and energy efficiency.
- Nuveen and Taconic Reposition TIAA Global HQ in Midtown Manhattan to Be More Sustainable and Healthier with View Smart Windowson March 1, 2021 at 4:30 am
View announced its smart windows will be installed at 730 Third Avenue, the NYC office tower owned by Nuveen Real Estate and Taconic Partners.
- Sustainable solar poweron March 1, 2021 at 2:11 am
Getting energy from the sun isn't renewable until the panels are recyclable. James Mitchell Crow talks to the scientists making it happen ...
- Solar PV Glass Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026, Trending Report with Covid 19 Impacton February 26, 2021 at 11:44 am
The global solar PV glass market is segmented on the basis of type end use industry and region On the basis of type it is divided into anti reflective coated glass tempered glass TCO glass and others ...
- Here's How To Make the Ultimate Glass of Matcha Latteon February 25, 2021 at 7:04 am
Continue reading for our beginner’s guide to matcha with Matchacha Seoul. While you’re at it, here’s how to make the perfect cup of coffee at home. Matcha is harvested differently from regular green ...
- Chinese PV Industry Brief: Another massive glass order and a broken partnershipon February 23, 2021 at 6:50 am
Jinko Solar secured another 338 million square meters of PV glass from Flat Glass. Tongwei and Trina Solar have left the monocrystalline wafer production joint venture they set up with Longi.
- Genesis Energy (GEL) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton February 18, 2021 at 3:31 pm
Q4 2020 Earnings CallFeb 18, 2021, 9:30 a.m. ETContents: Prepared Remarks Questions and Answers Call Participants Prepared Remarks: OperatorGreetings and welcome to the Genesis Energy ...
- Genesis Energy, L.P. (GEL) CEO Grant Sims on Q4 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton February 18, 2021 at 11:11 am
Furthermore, the glass manufacturers use soda ash ... of both transportation vehicles as well as battery storage capabilities for renewable energy, both solar as well as wind.
- 'A complete bungle': Texas' energy pride goes out with coldon February 17, 2021 at 6:22 am
Anger over Texas' power grid failing in the face of a record winter freeze continued to mount Wednesday as millions of residents in the energy capital of the U.S. remained shivering with no assurances ...
- Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Market 2021 Growth, COVID Impact, Trends Analysis Report 2027on February 16, 2021 at 3:15 am
However, growing preference for other effective alternatives in energy storage space could hamper the growth of the Absorbent Glass Matte Battery market during the forecast period. Nevertheless ...