Researchers from the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) in Barcelona have managed to regenerate the retina thanks to neuronal reprogramming.
There are currently several lines of research that explore the possibility of tissue regeneration through cell reprogramming. One of the mechanisms being studied is reprogramming through cell fusion.
The researcher Pia Cosma and her team have used the cell fusion mechanism to reprogramme the neurones in the retina. This mechanism consists of introducing bone marrow stem cells into the damaged retina. The new undifferentiated cells fuse with the retinal neurones and these acquire the ability to regenerate the tissue.
For the first time we have managed to regenerate the retina and reprogramme its neurones through in vivo cell fusion. We have identified a signalling pathway that, once activated, allows the neurones to be reprogrammed through their fusion with bone marrow cells”, explains Pia Cosma, head of the Reprogramming and Regeneration group at the Centre for Genomic Regulation and ICREA research professor. “This discovery is important not only because of the possible medical applications for retinal regeneration but also for the possible regeneration of other nervous tissues”, says Daniela Sanges, first author of the work and postdoctoral researcher in Pia Cosma’s laboratory.
The study, published by the prestigious journal Cell Reports, demonstrates that the regeneration of nervous tissue by means of cell fusion is possible in mammals and describes this new technique as a potential mechanism for the regeneration of more complex nervous tissue.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Sofidel: Regeneration on a Human Scaleon March 17, 2023 at 7:02 am
Regeneration, on a human scale, with which to boost the environmental and social sustainability of places. To achieve a quality of life better centered on the balance between social and ecological ...
- Retinal Vein Occlusion Treatment Market is expected to garner a value of US$ 4.7 billion by 2033on March 17, 2023 at 2:31 am
The global retinal vein occlusion treatment market is likely to register a CAGR of 5.9% from 2023 to 2033. According to Future Market Insights, a valuation of US$ 2.3 billion is expected for the ...
- Bury St Edmunds: Regeneration of historic centre completeon March 16, 2023 at 1:51 am
A regeneration project in a historic town centre has been completed, a council said. The work in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, included the development of the Victorian former post office building on ...
- I Tried Peach & Lily’s Retinal for All Renewing Serum — Here's What I Thoughton March 15, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Those with sensitive skin might shy away from potent retinoid products, but Korean skincare brand Peach & Lily has created a retinal “for all" that prevents irritation and actually soothes skin.
- Seaside town gets £6.7m for regeneration in Budgeton March 15, 2023 at 8:17 am
A seaside town has been awarded £6.7m for regeneration, it has been announced in the Budget. The money for Dovercourt in Essex was part of £200m from the government's Levelling Up Fund to ...
- Embedding aligned nanofibrous architectures within 3D-printed polycaprolactone scaffolds for tissue regenerationon March 14, 2023 at 12:09 pm
The findings could have a widespread impact on the development of composite scaffolds with hierarchical architectures potentially for the orderly spatial regeneration and remodeling of tissues in ...
- Sofidel: Urban Regeneration and Citizen Participationon March 14, 2023 at 8:38 am
NORTHAMPTON, MA / ACCESSWIRE / March 14, 2023 / Urban regeneration assumes strategic importance when thinking about the sustainable growth of cities and the responsible development of regions.
- Sony Launches New 'Retinal Projection Camera Kit' Developed For The Visually Impairedon March 13, 2023 at 2:36 pm
It sounds like an odd dud of a rehash at first blush, but this camera adds what Sony is calling a Retinal Projection kit, with the overall purpose being to help the vision-impaired see their ...
- Attracting stem cells and facilitating bone regeneration by adhesive proteinon March 12, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Scientists have developed an osteogenic barrier coating material that maximizes the effect of guided bone regeneration (GBR) for implant placements. One of the key factors of success in a dental ...
- Hydrogels Increase Neural Regenerationon March 10, 2023 at 6:40 am
Scientists are always seeking new methods to boost neural regeneration for traumatic brain injuries, but this goal is challenging for many reasons. Brain tissue does not have the same regenerative ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”retina regeneration” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Investigating how gut microbiota affect neuroplasticity and neurodevelopmenton March 20, 2023 at 7:46 pm
In a recent study published in the journal Neuropharmacology, researchers in Pisa, Italy, explored how gut microbiota can influence neuroplasticity.
- This Neural Implant Accesses Your Brain Through the Jugular Veinon March 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The Stentrode, a neural implant that can let paralyzed people communicate, can be delivered to a patient's brain through the jugular vein — and the company that developed it, Synchron ...
- Reprogramming Bluetooth Headphones For Great Justiceon March 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm
[lorf] was able to put together a toolkit to reprogram this Bluetooth module in almost all of these headphones. This tip comes to us from [Tigox] who has already made good use of [lorf]’s software.
- Disassembling And Reprogramming Webkeyson March 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm
[Brad] hopes to do a bit more with the hardware. He thinks those four pads can be used to reprogram the MCU. We’ll keep our eyes out for updates as he moves along on that mission.
- Progressive Neurological Disease Induced by Tacrolimus in a Renal Transplant Recipient: Case Presentationon March 19, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Background: Tacrolimus and cyclosporine, both calcineurin inhibitors, can cause neurological side effects. While mild symptoms such as tremor are well recognised, severe complications including ...
- Somatic Reprogramming May Create Biological Pacemakerson March 16, 2023 at 7:16 am
GUADALAJARA, Mexico — "Somatic reprogramming is a strategy in which we are not modifying a single part of the cell, but we are reprogramming a normal cell to transform it into a pacemaker cell ...
- Altered 'neuronal avalanches' in brains of epilepsy patients tied to cognitive performanceon March 15, 2023 at 6:53 am
New research by the Human Brain Project has found that in the brains of patients with epilepsy, changes in large scale neuronal activations can be detected in the brain's resting state activity ...
- How psychedelic compounds stimulate neuronal growthon March 11, 2023 at 12:47 pm
Create an account below to get 6 C&EN articles per month, receive newsletters and more - all free. It seems this is your first time logging in online. Please enter the following information to ...
- Healing the brain: Hydrogels enable neuronal tissue growthon February 23, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Synthetic hydrogels were shown to provide an effective scaffold for neuronal tissue growth in areas of brain damage, providing a possible approach for brain tissue reconstruction. While growing ...
- Temperature changes in the brain found to affect neuronal activityon February 20, 2023 at 9:02 am
In a paper published in the Journal of Neural Engineering, researchers found that small increases in temperature while stimulating the brain can profoundly alter brain activity, sometimes with ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”neuronal reprogramming” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]