Researchers from North Carolina State University have developed three-dimensional (3-D) printing technology and techniques to create free-standing structures made of liquid metal at room temperature.
“It’s difficult to create structures out of liquids, because liquids want to bead up. But we’ve found that a liquid metal alloy of gallium and indium reacts to the oxygen in the air at room temperature to form a ‘skin’ that allows the liquid metal structures to retain their shapes,” says Dr. Michael Dickey, an assistant professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at NC State and co-author of a paper describing the work.
The researchers developed multiple techniques for creating these structures, which can be used to connect electronic components in three dimensions. White it is relatively straightforward to pattern the metal “in plane” – meaning all on the same level – these liquid metal structures can also form shapes that reach up or down.
One technique involves stacking droplets of liquid metal on top of each other, much like a stack of oranges at the supermarket. The droplets adhere to one another, but retain their shape – they do not merge into a single, larger droplet. Video of the process is available here.
Another technique injects liquid metal into a polymer template, so that the metal takes on a specific shape. The template is then dissolved, leaving the bare, liquid metal in the desired shape. The researchers also developed techniques for creating liquid metal wires, which retain their shape even when held perpendicular to the substrate.
Dickey’s team is currently exploring how to further develop these techniques, as well as how to use them in various electronics applications and in conjunction with established 3-D printing technologies.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Scientists make real-life Terminator T-1000 - a robot that can turn to liquidon February 3, 2023 at 7:44 am
This feature is now a reality- as scientists from The Chinese University of Hong Kong have created a man-shaped robot that can do the same. "Giving robots the ability to switch between liquid and ...
- NCSU prof helps develop liquid metal-based elastic material that’s impervious to gas, liquidson February 3, 2023 at 7:28 am
An international team of researchers has developed a technique that uses liquid metal to create an elastic material that is impervious to both gases and liquids. Applications for the material include ...
- Liquid metal material is elastic yet impervious to gases and liquidson February 3, 2023 at 7:25 am
A new liquid metal-based material is elastic yet impervious to both gases and liquids, its developers have said, overcoming a previous trade-off between the two properties. The material – which could ...
- See a Real-Life 'Terminator' Robot Turn Into Liquid to Bust Out of a Cageon January 30, 2023 at 4:17 pm
Scientists have created a tiny robotic system that can turn from solid to liquid and back again, bringing a classic bit of sci-fi lore to life while they're at it. It's been 30 years since killer ...
- Scientists create tiny metal robot which can turn to liquid and reformon January 30, 2023 at 8:47 am
The tiny robot made from a mix of liquid metal and magnetic material can become soft or liquid and then reform as a solid again.
- Researchers invented a liquid metal robot that can shapeshift like a Terminatoron January 28, 2023 at 6:14 pm
A group of scientists have created a robot made of shape-shifting liquid that they can control to jump, escape cages, and more.
- Watch This Tiny Liquid Metal Robot Do a T-1000 Impressionon January 27, 2023 at 4:48 am
The Soft Machines Lab at Carnegie Mellon University has created a rudimentary robot that can become a liquid on demand, a capability the lead author compared to the T-1000 from Terminator 2.
- Scientists create liquid metal robot that can pass through bars, Terminator-styleon January 26, 2023 at 3:08 am
A tiny version of the shape-shifting android from ‘T2′ demonstrates the material, which alternates between solid and fluid states and could help solve medical and engineering problems ...
- Terminator's Shape-Shifting Liquid Metal Robots Are Finally Here, But John Connor Is Completely Safeon January 25, 2023 at 8:07 am
Back in 1991, ground breaking visual effects helped bring the shape-shifting liquid metal T-1000 robot to life in James Cameron’s Terminator 2, but 32 years later, shape-shifting robots now ...
- Metal robot can melt its way out of tight spaces to escapeon January 25, 2023 at 8:00 am
A millimetre-sized robot made from a mix of liquid metal and microscopic magnetic pieces can stretch, move or melt. It could be used to fix electronics or remove objects from the body ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”liquid metal” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
3D liquid metal printing
- Shipbuilding industry looks to 3D printing to accelerate paceon February 2, 2023 at 12:42 pm
Additive manufacturing could build certain metal pieces more reliably, faster and in higher volume than traditional methods, Navy and industry leaders say.
- 3D Printing Materials Market worth $8,697.9 million by 2027 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on February 1, 2023 at 2:59 am
End-Use Industry (Automotive, Aerospace & Defence, Healthcare, Consumer Goods, Construction), Form (Powder, Liquid, Filament), Technology, Application and Region - Global Forecast to 2027", is ...
- Microscopic Metal 3D Printing With Gelson January 31, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Researchers at Caltech have a way of printing tiny metal structures. The trick? They don’t print metals at all. Instead, they 3D print a hydrogel and then use it as a scaffold to form metallic ...
- Additive Manufacturing For Batteries Of The Future: Will 3D Printing Transform Battery Making?on January 30, 2023 at 4:53 am
Three battery start-ups say manufacturing batteries with 3D printing will not only solve the safety issue but deliver more energy-dense and faster charging batteries that are far smaller, lighter, and ...
- 3D Printing Materials Market Global Investor, Latest Trends, Industry Growth, Size, Segmentation, Future Demands, by Regional Forecast to 2028on January 29, 2023 at 9:17 pm
The global 3D Printing Materials market is segregated on the basis of Application as Manufacturing, Prototyping, and Others. Based on Technology the global 3D Printing Materials market is segmented in ...
- How metal 3D printing can bring change to the world's most resource intensive industryon January 27, 2023 at 1:07 am
The Politecnico di Milano is leading an international consortium dedicated to improving resource efficiency in the construction and automotive sectors through metal 3D printing. —It is hoped that ...
- 3D Printing: Navy Builds Up Additive Manufacturing on Shipson January 26, 2023 at 9:04 am
A Xerox Elem Additive Solutions ElemX liquid metal 3D printer was delivered in a container aboard USS Essex (LHD 2) in July 2022, becoming the first metal additive manufacturing machine installed ...
- Can 3D Printing Finally Make Solid-State EV Batteries Practical?on January 23, 2023 at 12:05 pm
Sakuu’s Kavian 3D-printing joins metals, polymers, and binders for cheaper, lighter, more sustainable and power-dense solid-state batteries for future EVs.
- Emerging Opportunities of Metal 3D Printing in Mass Productionon January 23, 2023 at 3:37 am
New York, Jan. 23, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Emerging Opportunities of Metal 3D Printing in Mass Production" - https://www.reportlinker.com ...
- Automated 3D Printing Market To Reach $2.0 Billion By 2026on January 22, 2023 at 9:25 pm
Market Research Reports, Business Consulting Services & Analytics Rising demand for implant customizations during surgical procedures cou ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
3D liquid metal printing
[google_news title=”” keyword=”3D liquid metal printing” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]