The test results were very successful and have confirmed that the prototype has accomplished their objectives by reducing costs of construction, installation and maintenance.
Researchers at the UPM, within the framework of PROCODAC-GESMEY project, have participated in the construction and testing of the prototype of a device to harness energy from ocean currents able to work in deep water.
In collaboration with the Astilleros Balenciaga company and the Fundación Centro Tecnológico Soermar, researchers at the Group of R&D GITERM, assigned to the Higher Technical School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, are participating at the PROCODAC project, focused on the design, construction and testing on a marine environment of an experimentation prototype at a ten to one scale of what would be an industrial unit able to provide a 1MW of electricity (GESMEY project). This prototype is complemented by an underwater buoy that was designed to operate in areas of 40 metres of depth.
The test results were very successful and have confirmed that this prototype can produce the expected energy and to be maneuvered by remote control, what can be of interest to use it in future underwater power plants.
Today, to harness energy is an issue of interest, particularly those related to sea. The first generation of systems of harnessing energy from ocean currents was only feasible in areas of maximum depth of 30-50 metres (because the generators were joined at the bottom) and its maintenance was expensive. Consequently, second-generation systems came out: anchoring systems with diverse solutions that allow us a submerged operation with the possibility to put afloat the main elements for its maintenance.
The Latest Bing News on:
Energy from Ocean Currents
- BP profits triple to $8.4bn as millions face rising energy billson August 2, 2022 at 12:32 am
Shareholders to get a 10% boost in payouts via dividends as company reports second highest profits in its history.
- Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion Plant Market Size, Landscape, Industry Analysis, Business Outlook, Current and Future Growth to 2029on August 2, 2022 at 12:18 am
The Global Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion Plant Market is anticipated to rise at a considerable rate during the ...
- Manchin-Schumer Inflation Reduction Act Is A Watershed Moment For U.S. Energyon August 1, 2022 at 4:58 am
In constructing the grab-bag of goodies contained in their so-called Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) were careful to ...
- The wave power generator experts say 'proves ocean energy can work' is already powering Australian homeson July 30, 2022 at 9:35 pm
This wave power generator has completed a 12-month trial off King Island in Bass Strait, successfully generating electricity for hundreds of homes — now the company behind it wants to look at what's ...
- Want to save energy and beat the heat? Don’t wear neckties, says Spanish PM Pedro Sanchezon July 30, 2022 at 2:59 am
Sanchez has asked his ministers, government officials and private sector employees on Friday to stop wearing ties and stay cool as heatwaves pummel the European continent ...
- How Manchin-Schumer would change energy, from oil to solaron July 29, 2022 at 3:56 am
The sweeping agreement this week between Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Energy and Natural Resources Chair Joe Manchin would make significant ...
- Senate Dems propose hikes for clean energy, environmenton July 28, 2022 at 11:54 pm
The House bill includes $1.6 billion for USGS, a $250 million increase over current spending levels. $195.5 million for the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, a roughly $13 million decrease from ...
- The ocean phenomenon that's bringing sharks closer to shoreon July 28, 2022 at 1:50 pm
Several reports of shark bite injuries and a spate of sightings of the marine predators off the Northeast coast of the United States have rattled summer beachgoers.
- There Are Holes on the Ocean Floor. Scientists Don’t Know Why.on July 28, 2022 at 12:52 pm
Similar openings on the sea floor were first spotted 18 years ago along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Their origins remain unknown. Scientists are asking the public for their thoughts.
- It’s up to conservatives to lead the way on reasonable climate change, energy policieson July 27, 2022 at 4:03 am
It’s hot outside. Really hot. If you’ve lived in Texas as long as I have, you know that summers can string along weeks and weeks of 100-plus degree days. In July 1980, I was a 10-year old on summer ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Energy from Ocean Currents
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- ‘I’m a nutritionist and I hate that the internet thinks celery juice is a miracle health elixir’on August 1, 2022 at 5:23 pm
Celery juice has been labelled a miracle health elixir by so-called experts, amid claims it can assist weight loss, clear up acne and even lower blood pressure. Here, clinical nutritionist Thom ...
- Redfin to Present at Oppenheimer 25th Annual Technology, Internet & Communications Conferenceon August 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Redfin Corporation (NASDAQ: RDFN) today announced that Chief Executive Officer Glenn Kelman will present at the following virtual event: ...
- Sims 4 devs are working on a fix for incest and aging issueson July 29, 2022 at 9:18 am
The Sims 4 developers are currently working on a fix for issues including rapid aging and incest. Yesterday, it emerged that the latest Sims 4 update included a glitch that takes years off the lives ...
- Key Ways to Repair Your Reputation Onlineon July 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
Online and offline, first impressions matter a lot. However, due to how much power customers now have, online reputation is more critical than ever. What’s more, in an era ...
- Opera Browser Vs Chrome 2022: The Winner at Speed & Privacyon July 29, 2022 at 2:13 am
Why should you use Opera? Why Chrome? Speed, simplicity, and a step into the future. Find out in this Opera browser vs Chrome face-off.
- No quick fix: How OpenAI's DALL·E 2 illustrated the challenges of bias in AIon July 28, 2022 at 8:50 am
OpenAI released the second version of its DALL·E image generator in April to rave reviews, but efforts to address societal biases in its output have illustrated systemic underlying problems with AI ...
- Lunchtime Fashion Fix: 10 trending trainers the internet is lovingon July 27, 2022 at 5:00 am
Investing in a good pair of trainers will save your feet a world of pain... especially if you're a walker, like me.
- APG undersea internet cable, which connects Vietnam to the world broke down againon July 27, 2022 at 3:15 am
The Asia Pacific Gateway (APG) undersea cable, which connects Vietnam with many countries in the region, is facing problems again from 26/7, noting that there had been no information about the repair ...
- The most common Wi-Fi problems and how to fix themon July 25, 2022 at 3:30 am
If your Wi-Fi is running slow or just drops out altogether in certain rooms, there are solutions you can try to fix the problem without buying a new router.
- Your Nintendo Switch Won't Connect to the Internet? Here's What to Doon July 24, 2022 at 11:40 am
Are you having network problems with your Nintendo Switch? Whether your Switch won't connect to Wi-Fi, you keep seeing an error code, or you run into disconnection issues when trying to play a certain ...