Affordable and scalable process of a carbon nanotube-based catalyst outperforming platinum for electric-automobiles
Korean researchers from Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), S. Korea, developed a novel bio-inspired composite electrocatalyst outperforming platinum.
This research work was published on June 25, in the journal Nature Communications.
The research team from UNIST, S. Korea, developed an inexpensive and scalable bio-inspired composite electrocatalyst, iron phthalocyanine with an axial ligand anchored on single-walled carbon nanotubes, demonstrating a higher electrocatalytic activity for oxygen reduction than the state-of-the-art Pt/C catalysts as well as an exceptional durability during cycling in an alkaline media.
Electrocatalysts for oxygen reduction are critical components that may dramatically enhance the performance of fuel cells and metal-air batteries, which are perceived to be the power for future electric vehicles.
Currently Pt and its alloy are known as the most efficient catalysts for activation of the oxygen reduction reaction. However, the application of them is limited due to their high costs and scarce reserves.
Scientists worldwide are speculating to find better catalysts which outperform platinum catalysts with low cost and simple production processes.
The UNIST research team led by Prof. Jaephil Cho, dean of the Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy of UNIST, demonstrated a new strategy to rationally design inexpensive and durable electrochemical oxygen reduction catalysts for metal-air batteries and fuel cells.
The Latest Bing News on:
Carbon nanotube-based catalyst
- Twin physically unclonable functions (PUFs) based on carbon nanotube arrays to enhance the security of communicationson July 28, 2022 at 8:30 am
As the amount of data stored in devices and shared over the internet continuously increases, computer scientists worldwide are trying to devise new approaches to secure communications and protect ...
- Metallocene catalysis could revolutionize carbon fiber compositeson July 25, 2022 at 5:00 pm
When the inventor of metallocene catalysts, Professor Walter Kaminsky ... in situ to form multiwall carbon nanotube (MWCNT) composites. Isotactic polypropylene matrix forms close bonds with carbon ...
- Carbon Nanotubes Market Set for Explosive Growth by 2030on July 22, 2022 at 8:14 am
To elaborate, in May 2020, Nanomix Inc. (US) developed a technology based on carbon nanotube ... AALTO University created a graphene–carbon nanotube catalyst that could be the first step in ...
- Nanomaterials newson July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Nanoscientists from Utrecht University have devised a new and promising way to make catalysts in which the ... that uses very small structures, carbon nanotubes, to monitor and detect damage ...
- Rewriting the history of K-carbon fiber manufacturing with carbon nanotubeson July 20, 2022 at 5:32 am
A space elevator, a structure connecting the Earth's surface to a space station, would allow for the cost-efficient transport of people and materials. However, a very light yet strong material is ...
- Researchers Improve Electrical and Thermal Properties of Carbon Nanotubeson July 18, 2022 at 9:47 am
In an article recently published in the journal Materials Today: Proceedings, researchers fabricated Cu-based carbon ... carbon nanotube precursors like carbon monoxide (CO) and pyrolyzed carbon ...
- Synergistic Enhancement of Cancer Therapy using a Combination of Carbon Nanotubes and Anti-tumor Drugon July 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Single-wall CNTs (further referred to as CNTs) were grown by radio-frequency chemical vapor deposition (RF-CVD) on a iron:molybdenum/magnesium oxide catalyst with methane as the carbon source.
- Journal of hazardous materialson June 20, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Performance indicators for a holistic evaluation of catalyst-based degradation-A case study of selected pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs). Decomposition of highly persistent ...
- Carbon Nanotubes Market Projected to Witness a Double-Digit CAGR During 2022 – 2030on June 20, 2022 at 6:26 am
The global Carbon Nanotube (CNT) market size reached USD ... We offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across multiple industries, including Healthcare ...
- Nanotube displayson March 23, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Others are pursuing the use of carbon nanotube-based displays in applications besides television. Several companies including Noritake, Futaba and TECO Nanotech are working on high-brightness ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Carbon nanotube-based catalyst
The Latest Bing News on:
Platinum catalyst replacement
- 3 men accused in catalytic converter theft first to be charged under new state lawon July 27, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Gov. David Ige signed the bill into law in June, due to an increase of stolen catalytic converters over the years.
- Tuscaloosa police investigating rash of catalytic converter thefts targeting churches, nonprofitson July 26, 2022 at 6:34 pm
Nearly 80 catalytic converters have been stolen in the city since mid-April, including 40 since June 1, police said.
- Framingham Police: Thief Steals Catalytic Converter From Flutie Pass Loton July 22, 2022 at 9:49 pm
Another catalytic converter was reported stolen in Framingham. This time the vehicle was parked at 2 Flutie Pass. The vehicle part was reported stolen to police on Thursday, July 21 at 12:08 a.m.
- Framingham Police: Thief Steals Catalytic Converter From Logan Expresson July 22, 2022 at 9:27 pm
PLEASE SHARE FRAMINGHAM – Framingham Police are investigating a report of a catalytic converter stolen from the Logan Express parking ...
- Fort Bend now outranks some major Texas counties in catalytic converter theft claims, report showson July 20, 2022 at 9:03 am
Claims for stolen catalytic converters have jumped 5,300 percent since 2019, according to the AAA report. The trove of precious metals inside the device—rhodium, platinum, palladium—fetches a ...
- Dozens of catalytic converters stolen out of commercial vehicles in Lakewood Industrial Parkon July 11, 2022 at 9:11 am
It can cost upward of $3,000 per truck to get a replacement part. So, why do thieves want your catalytic converters? They contain valuable metals, such as platinum. According to the National ...
- Thefts of this valuable car part have gotten so bad that Congress is trying to fix iton July 10, 2022 at 8:05 am
Thefts of catalytic converters — an antipollution car part laden with platinum, palladium and ... pegged the price of a replacement catalytic converter at about $3,000, up from $1,000 in ...
- Catalytic converter thefts have gotten so bad that Congress is trying to fix iton July 8, 2022 at 1:37 pm
Thefts of catalytic converters — an antipollution car part laden with platinum, palladium and rhodium — have ... David Glawe, NICB president and CEO, pegged the price of a replacement catalytic ...