Significant stresses in these areas could jeopardize food security
New research on the global maize (corn) trade suggests that any disruptions to U.S. exports could pose food security risks for many U.S. trade partners due to the lack of trade among other producing and importing nations. The study, while not primarily focused on plant disease, population growth, climate change or the diversion of corn to non-food uses such as ethanol, suggests that significant stresses in these areas could jeopardize food security. This is particularly true of nations like Mexico, Japan and the Republic of Korea that have yet to diversify their sources.
Maize is at the center of global food security as increasing demands for meat, fuel uses, and cereal crop demands increase the grain’s pivotal importance in diets worldwide. It is used as a basic raw material in producing starch, oil, protein, alcohol, food sweeteners and as a dietary staple. Disruptions in any one major exporter’s supplies could lead to price shocks. The centrality of maize means that it would become a critical food security risk if major exporters experience disruptions due to non-food diversions, plant diseases and climate impacts, according to the article.
The researchers studied trade patterns from 2000-2009 and determined that the U.S. is by far the largest exporter, exporting four times as much maize as Argentina, the next largest exporter. Drs. Felicia Wu of Michigan State University and Hasan Guclu of the University of Pittsburgh use network models — essentially, food trade maps — to track the movement of maize in their article “Global Maize Trade and Food Security: Implications from a Social Network Model.” The research was supported by the National Institutes of Health and the article was recently published electronically in the journal Risk Analysis, published by the Society for Risk Analysis.
The researchers based their work on United Nations Commodity Trade data and developed a social network model of maize exports and imports to study how “clustering” in trade patterns may affect food security. The clustering shows that nations generally do not trade broadly worldwide. Nations that import maize primarily from only one other nation may be vulnerable to any changes in their exporters’ ability to produce and ship maize. “These statistics show that the vast majority of nations are exporting to or importing from only one or a small number of nations,” they conclude. They also note that Japan is the largest importer by far, while other nations such as Taiwan and Egypt have more broadly diversified their sources of maize, thereby reducing their vulnerability to export disruptions.
The researchers are careful to point out that their work is descriptive and cannot predict what risks will actually be or if they might lead to disruptions.
The Latest Bing News on:
Maize Trade Disruption
- World Bank warns on record-high food priceson August 1, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Record high food prices have triggered a global crisis that will drive millions more into extreme poverty, magnifying hunger and malnutrition, while threatening to erase hard-won gains in ...
- Hope Russia-Ukraine grain deal holds!on July 25, 2022 at 1:30 pm
If Russia keeps to the deal it has signed with Ukraine allowing for the resumption of grain exports, much needed relief will be provided to importing countries, including many in Africa.
- Russia/Ukraine grain export deal promises major benefits for poor countries. If it holdson July 24, 2022 at 10:55 am
If Russia keeps its word, the benefits will be immediate. Grain prices could soften as more grain supplies become available to the world market.
- Russia/Ukraine grain export deal promises major benefits for poor countries. If it holdson July 24, 2022 at 9:16 am
It has not been able to ship these to export markets because of Russia’s invasion, which disrupted ... maize, and the rest included sunflower oil, barley, and soybeans. A resumption of the trade ...
- Waxy Maize Starch Market is Estimated to Progress at a CAGR of 5.8% during the Forecast Period, TMR Studyon July 21, 2022 at 6:38 pm
July 22, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- The value of the global waxy maize starch market was clocked at US$ 3.68 Bn in 2022. The global market study on waxy maize starch is estimated to develop at a CAGR of 5.8 ...
- SA Agri Exports – Logistical Challenges Hamper An Important Currency Earneron July 20, 2022 at 11:32 pm
SA has reached this level of agricultural trade diversification partly because of the openness of SA policymakers, agribusinesses, and farmers to technological advancements, mechanical and biological, ...
- Strengthening Domestic Production through Import Substitutionon July 20, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The disruption caused by the COVID-19 has exposed ... dealers to henceforth discontinue processing documents for maize and corn importation. The banking sector regulator gave the directive in ...
- Kenya makes U-turn, now wants maize from Ugandaon July 20, 2022 at 12:34 am
“This is why we need honest trade partnerships”.The bulk of Uganda’s maize is now exported to South Sudan, encouraged by higher prices in the country which sell at about Shs222,000.This was ...
- Kenya makes U-turn, now wants maize from Ugandaon July 19, 2022 at 11:46 pm
The bulk of Uganda’s maize is now exported to South Sudan, encouraged by higher prices in the country which sell at about Shs222,000 ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Maize Trade Disruption
The Latest Bing News on:
- India’s dry monsoon spell could be the next big worry for world’s food supply, global inflationon August 2, 2022 at 11:13 pm
Rice could emerge as the next challenge for global food supply as a shortage of rain in parts of India, by far the world’s biggest exporter, has caused planting area to shrink to the smallest in about ...
- Japan fronts rice growing for Uganda’s food securityon August 2, 2022 at 9:07 pm
During a JICA Chair session at the university under the theme “Rice for the Modernization of Agriculture in Uganda; Lessons from Japan, the JICA Chief Representative in Uganda Uchiyama Takayuki said ...
- EBRD makes €20 million available to Romanian farmers to enhance food securityon August 2, 2022 at 3:35 am
EBRD approves €20 million loan to Agricover Credit IFN for on-lending to Romanian farmers; Romania’s leading financiers of agriculture expanding farmers’ access to finance ; ...
- New law on black soil protection takes effect to ensure food securityon August 1, 2022 at 11:46 pm
A new law on black soil conservation took effect in China on Monday as the nation strives to preserve granary resources for food security and protect the ecosystem. The law, passed by the country's ...
- HungerCorps - Food Security AmeriCorps Memberson August 1, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Eligible to receive Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($6,495) after successful completion of your service term ...
- WATCH NOW: Urban farms help promote environmental education, food security in Garyon August 1, 2022 at 6:00 am
Defendant gunned down man during gathering to mourn child's death, police say Oases was the group's first stop on a tour of three urban farms in Gary. Organized by Purdue Extension, the group visited ...
- Advocates,farmers and politicians look at food securityon July 30, 2022 at 11:15 am
This sizzling midsummer, as farmers nurture maturing crops, people continue to grapple with global food security issues on the international stage.
- Sidestepping Hunger & Boosting Food Securityon July 29, 2022 at 12:19 am
Until Russia went to war on Ukraine in February, Ukraine was known as the “breadbasket of Europe”. One of the largest grain exporters in the world, it provided about 10 per cent of globally traded ...
- Sidestepping hunger and boosting food securityon July 28, 2022 at 5:04 am
The World Food Programme says that as many as 47 million people, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa, are at risk of acute hunger. Addressing this food security risk is a double challenge for the EBRD, ...
- The historical link between food security and politics in Russiaon July 27, 2022 at 8:11 pm
As Russia's war with Ukraine rages, the Russian emphasis on food security as a domestic and international tool is not a novel concept.