OrCam, a tiny wearable computer, uses audio feedback to relay visual data; it can even help the blind read.
A new device called OrCam could be life-changing for the visually impaired and blind: The tiny wearable computer uses audio feedback to relay visual information that they can’t see, enabling them to take on new tasks they were unable to perform alone before.
The device works with a 5-mega pixel camera that attaches to spectacles. It is capable of reading text and with the help of the user, can be taught to recognize faces and objects, says computer sciences professor Amnon Shashua, cofounder of the Israeli startup OrCam Technologies.
The Orcam invention is based on a computer-vision algorithm called ‘Share Boost,’ which researcher Yonatan Wexler says has improved artificial intelligence. The device can work for up to six hours before needing recharging.
One of the benefits of OrCam is that it has a memory system that stores the objects it recognizes and continually adds to the users library.
Researchers say there are still a few kinks to iron out – most importantly the device’s sensitivity to light and surfaces that are not flat.
The Latest Bing News on:
- New wearable device controls individual fingers for sign language, musicon October 19, 2021 at 5:00 am
Humans use their fingers for some of their most delicate communication. Typing on a keyboard or phone, conversing through sign language, or performing on a guitar or piano require finely-tuned ...
- Global Computer Aided Engineering (FEA, CFD, Multibody Dynamics, Optimization & Simulation) Market Report 2021-2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 19, 2021 at 2:03 am
The "Global Computer Aided Engineering Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Type (FEA, CFD, Multibody Dynamics, Optimization & Simulation), by Deployment Model, by End-use, and Segment ...
- Get Ready For The Next Generation Of Wearable Techon October 18, 2021 at 10:22 am
Smarts, not just functionality, is moving to everything from watches and glasses to clothing, but there are still barriers to overcome.
- Smart Wearable Lifestyle Devices Market Size, Outlook and Key Companies – Adidas, Apple, Fitbit, Garmin, Jawbone (Aliph), LG Electronicson October 18, 2021 at 6:48 am
Smart Wearable Lifestyle Devices Market is growing at a faster pace with substantial growth rates over the last few years and is estimated that the market will grow significantly in the forecasted ...
- Apple wins a Major Detailed Patent for Next-Gen Input Gloves, Thimbles, Glasses & other Wearable Attachments for VR+on October 12, 2021 at 5:18 am
Today the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office officially granted Apple a patent that relates to next-gen wearable user input devices with haptic feedback elements incorporated to create an immersive ...
- Global Wearable Computing Market to Reach $213.55 Billion by 2030: Allied Market Researchon October 12, 2021 at 2:16 am
Technological development in wearable devices, rise in adoption of smartwatches and fitness bands, and increase in popularity of wearable health and medical devices propel the global wearable ...
- Smart displays that show information through fabric may be the next wave of wearable techon October 12, 2021 at 12:49 am
Researchers have developed an innovative display that shows information through clothes and other fabrics. The new technology, which the researchers are calling PocketView, uses LED lights to display ...
- Wearable Fitness Trackers Market 2021 Growth, Trends, Leading Players and Business Insights Forecast to 2028on October 11, 2021 at 5:55 am
According to the market study of Wearable Fitness Trackers Market Business report new highs are possible in the market for the year 2021 2028 Competitive analysis section in the report covers the ...
- Explore the Size and Share of the Wrist Wearable Market in 2021, as well as the Industry Forecast to 2026on October 8, 2021 at 12:03 am
Global Wrist Wearable Market Study Analyzes Market Valuation, Industry Analysis, Competitive Landscape, And Future Trends. The global Wrist Wearable market study published by Mark ...
- Mobile Computing Devices Market Demand, Competitive Analysis, Growth Factors, And Key Players 2027on October 7, 2021 at 3:07 pm
The global mobile computing devices market is segmented into type such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, wearable devices and others. Among these seg ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Helping the blind see
- Republicans say Texas’ new political maps are “race blind.” To some voters of color, that translates as political invisibility.on October 20, 2021 at 3:00 am
With partisan fervor, Republicans drew new maps for Congress and the Legislature that dilute the power of voters of color. Now the lawsuits begin, as groups that feel marginalized battle for ...
- Blind LSU students struggle to navigate campus; school still relegates services to volunteerson October 20, 2021 at 2:00 am
Halftime at Tiger Stadium: football fans roared, crowds shuffled single-file along the walkways ferrying snacks and sodas from concession stands, and Ryan Barnes was stranded.
- I Would Not Date a Blind Personon October 19, 2021 at 8:41 pm
For many of us, having a disability eclipses, at least for those who don’t know us, any aspect of our character that in a non-disabled person would naturally draw attention. Our task is to make these ...
- Blind Malaysian student at the University of Cambridge shares what inspires her to study law and challenges of online classon October 19, 2021 at 2:02 pm
Celine Lean Yew-lin hopes to use her law degree to advocate for the rights of disabled people in Malaysia and around the world.
- Tech Drives Learning at South Dakota School for the Blindon October 18, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Having moved into a new building last year, the South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired uses technology to help students type in braille, enhance images or hear what's displayed on a ...
- You gotta see what Dom Landolphi is doingon October 18, 2021 at 11:56 am
Don Landolphi is facing his biggest challenge as a coach. At the youthful age of, gulp, 80. “I’m teaching and coaching baseball to the blind,” he told the Eagle. DAILY TOP BROOKLYN NEWS News for those ...
- Blind former combat medic runs 5K in North Carolinaon October 16, 2021 at 10:00 pm
The sound of Angus Kola’s feet striking the pavement as he runs helps remind the blind former combat medic he can achieve anything.
- Blind trumpet player overcomes obstacles with help from band of brotherson October 16, 2021 at 5:55 pm
"The most proud moment I had was, you know, when the other bands don't realize that he's blind," Andrew's father said.
- Johnson impressed with use of technology at South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impairedon October 15, 2021 at 10:16 am
Superintendent for the South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired Dan Trefz led Rep. Dusty Johnson on a visit of the new facility.
- Baseball for the Blind comes to Connecticut in game Saturdayon October 13, 2021 at 3:30 pm
Familiar sensations of baseball - smell of glove leather and grass, feel of a solid hit, crack and clunk of bat on ball - will be part of the game when teams from Connecticut and New York City play on ...