Instantaneous face recognition that would be almost impossible to spoof
Forget fingerprints or iris recognition, the next big thing in biometrics will be a thermal imaging scan that maps the blood vessels under the skin of your face for instantaneous face recognition that would be almost impossible to spoof.
Writing in a forthcoming issue of the International Journal of Computational Intelligence Studies, a team at Jadavpur University in Kolkata, India, explains how the pattern of blood vessels just beneath the skin of our faces is as unique as a fingerprint, iris or other characteristic. It can be revealed easily with an infra-red thermal imaging camera. Rubber fingerprints can be made to simulate another person’s dabs while contact lenses can be fabricated to spoof someone’s iris so that an impostor could bypass biometric security measures.
However, it would be almost impossible to create a realistic mask for an impostor to wear that simulated the pattern of blood vessels in someone’s face because no matter how good the mask, the thermal imaging camera would be able to see the impostor’s blood vessels in their skin too and they would be unmasked, figuratively speaking.
Ayan Seal and colleagues have developed a computer algorithm that can analyze the minutiae of the blood vessels revealed by an infra-red scan of a person’s face. The thermogram readily reveals the pattern of blood vessels almost down to the smallest capillary with an accuracy of more than 97%. Such a degree of precision would suffice even for high-security applications provided the thermogram scan was tied to second or third forms of identity, such as photo ID, security card, PIN number etc.
The Latest Bing News on:
- ACLU Calls for Halt of Homeland Security’s Use Of Facial Recognition Technologyon December 8, 2021 at 8:33 am
The civil rights organization said that the biometrics technology can lead to discriminatory arrests based on race.
- Hospitality Facial Recognition Toolson December 8, 2021 at 8:26 am
Zoox Pass - Zoox Smart Data, a technology company specializing in consumer profiles and data analytics, has announced the launch of Zoox Pass, a new ...
- New York Mets turn to Wicket for facial recognition ticketingon December 8, 2021 at 4:24 am
Mets Entry Express lanes will be available across the New York Mets' Citi Field ballpark during the 2022 MLB season.
- SiLC single-chip LiDAR system could ease 3D facial recognition integrationon December 7, 2021 at 1:52 pm
SiLC Technologies has launched a new vision sensor system that integrates LiDAR capabilities onto a single chip. The ability to integrate three-dimensional photonics on a lower-cost chip could ...
- Outlook on the Facial Recognition Global Market to 2026 - by Component, Technology, Application, End-use Industry and Regionon December 7, 2021 at 2:58 am
The "Facial Recognition Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2021-2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global facial ...
- Deloitte predicts more attempts to ban facial recognition in 2022on December 6, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Deloitte’s TMT Predictions project that next year could witness a series of stricter regulations on the deployment of artificial intelligence system.
- Clearview AI is closer to getting a US patent for its facial recognition technologyon December 5, 2021 at 2:10 pm
Clearview AI is on track to receive a US patent for its facial recognition technology, according to a report from Politico. The company was reportedly sent a “notice of allowance” by the US Patent and ...
- Clearview AI set to get patent for controversial facial recognition techon December 4, 2021 at 5:05 pm
The news comes as facial recognition systems are more and more widely adopted, despite a lack of clear rules regarding their use.
- Clearview AI will get a US patent for its facial recognition techon December 4, 2021 at 2:23 pm
Clearview AI is about to get formal acknowledgment for its controversial facial recognition technology. Politico reports Clearview has received a US Patent and Trademark Office "notice of allowance" ...
- Clearview AI on track to win U.S. patent for facial recognition technologyon December 4, 2021 at 6:00 am
The government is moving to award a lucrative patent for a “search engine for faces,” a technology that has members of Congress and privacy advocates up in arms.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Thermal imaging scan
- DIY Thermal Imaging Cameraon December 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Thermal imaging cameras – those really useful devices ... [Kaptein] was able to slowly scan the thermopile over a scene and generate an image. In the video below, you can see [Kaptein]’s ...
- Scientists build robot that uses CCTV cameras and thermal imaging to determine if people are following social distancing rules - and let them know when they are not complyingon December 1, 2021 at 11:01 am
Researchers at the University of Maryland built a machine that uses CCTV cameras and thermal imaging to determine if people are staying six feet apart, and if someone in a group is potentially sick.
- Cross Dad Off Your Shopping List! 40 Gifts Your Father Will Love This Holiday Season!on November 29, 2021 at 2:36 pm
With a thermal insulated main compartment ... canceling microphone and angled drivers that offer unmatched stereo imaging. So he’ll be able to sense the hostile enemies long before they attack!
- Thermal Scanners Market Advancement and Future Scope Till 2027on November 29, 2021 at 4:47 am
A thermal scanner is a non-invasive infrared imaging device that creates an image of the heat emitted by a body to detect and record temperature. It detects infrared energy and converts it to ...
- Global Thermal Scanners Market Size, Share to be valued at USD 7.3 billion by 2027on November 21, 2021 at 9:09 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Nov 22, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- According to the report titled 'Global Thermal Scanners Market Size study ...
- Fluke Process Instruments Upgrades Kiln Shell Monitoring Options With the Release of the CS400 Kiln Shell Imaging Systemon November 18, 2021 at 3:23 am
Fluke Process Instruments, a global leader in infrared imaging and thermal profiling solutions ... lap time and the scanner's internal temperature – is displayed in the status bar for a complete ...
- Fluke Process Instruments Upgrades Kiln Shell Monitoring Options With the Release of the CS400 Kiln Shell Imaging Systemon November 18, 2021 at 3:03 am
Once set up, the software provides a thermal image of the ... "Our new Kiln Shell Imaging System can measure up to 1024 temperature points across a scan line and features specially-developed ...