Connecting kids to lots of interesting experiences has become a lot easier with Skype in the Classroom, a program from the online phone service that connects students with guest speakers and other students around the world.
When I arrived at Loyola Elementary School in the Silicon Valley area, I was met by Ellen Kraska, a Technology Integration Specialist who helps teachers in Los Altos bring all sorts of digital projects–movies, digital storytelling, music–into the classroom. On the day of my visit, Kraska was helping out a 4th grade class with “Mystery Skype”–a game where the students connect via Skype to a mystery classroom somewhere else in the world and use maps and logic to figure out where they are.
I sat in the back of the classroom while the kids played with Google Earth (everyone had their own school-provided laptop), snapped photos of the big screen that showed video of the mystery class, and live-blogged their findings into a Google Docs document. The kids pumped their fists as they came closer to pinpointing the mystery classroom (“Do you live in a state that borders a body of water?” “Do you live in a state with lots of stores?”). And after 20 minutes or so, they figured out that the 3rd grade classroom up on the screen was in Miami.
As recently as five years ago, you’d be hard-pressed to find an elementary school classroom where kids have constant exposure to nonprofits, NASA engineers, classrooms across the world, and startup founders. As I learned during my visit to Loyola, some of them now do.
A little over a year ago, Skype launched its Skype in the Classroom platform, which connects teachers and classrooms with guest speakers, online lessons, and other classrooms. Today, there are 14,000 members and 14 partner organizations, including NASA and Penguin Books. “We’ve seen this underground grassroots movement. We’ve seen people start to use technology [in the classroom], and we realized we should start to kick it into high-gear,” says Tony Bates, the CEO of Skype.
Bates’s favorite Skype in the Classroom projects include the classroom that found a beekeeper to take them on a virtual tour (the teacher wanted to demonstrate a beehive metaphor to the kids) and the pair of teachers that used the platform to co-teach from across town. ” The engagement level of the students went way up,” he says. “In a video setting, people are more engaged. They know they’re being watched.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Ultimate Free Teaching Tool
- 5 vital questions to ask yourself before using AI at workon February 27, 2024 at 2:00 am
But while proponents note how much potential there is for AI technologies to improve and streamline more equitable workplaces — and there's probably examples of AI already at play in your job, as well ...
- Ultimate Crypto Trading Software: Zent Launches Innovative Platform For All Institutional Needson February 27, 2024 at 1:08 am
Chainwire Zent, a pioneering software provider for financial institutions, has unveiled its all-in-one platform for high-speed crypto trading across popular exchanges. The “ultimate tool tailored to ...
- How Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden's Nightmare Chillingly Reflects Its Central Themeson February 21, 2024 at 5:30 am
The Nightmare plaguing New Eden is one of its own making, and Banishers uses its resulting curse to shed light on the many injustices of the era.
- Now Presenting: Cosmopolitan’s 2024 Clean Beauty Awardson February 20, 2024 at 5:01 am
Lauren Balsamo is the deputy beauty director at Cosmopolitan, where she writes, edits, and produces all types of beauty content—from product reviews to personal essays and trend reports. She has ...
- The Roots of the Unabomberon February 14, 2024 at 7:04 pm
He was a universal genius." Conrad's The Secret Agent, a satire about bomb-wielding anarchists who declare war on science (and whose intentional irony Kaczynski may have missed), presages the ...
- Why We Should Rethink Teaching Our Children About Virginityon February 13, 2024 at 7:01 pm
Instead of virginity as the ultimate gift, this mom proposes to teach children about consent, communication, and mutual respect in relationships.
- Streamlining Classroom With Helpmeteach: the Ultimate Ai Solution for Educatorson February 13, 2024 at 10:33 am
Detailed price information for Nvidia Corp (NVDA-Q) from The Globe and Mail including charting and trades.
- How to ensure students get the teaching and support they need to read wellon February 12, 2024 at 7:34 pm
What do state and territory governments need to do to ensure every child is taught how to read well, regardless of where they go to school? Amy Haywood from the Grattan Institute explains.
- What is Kahoot! and How Does it Work for Teachers? Tips & Trickson January 5, 2024 at 6:56 am
Kahoot! is one of the original and still one of the best quiz-learning game platforms out there, making education fun, engaging, and digital. Even with its many years of experience and wide selection ...
- Nike+ Training Club, an ultimate personal trainer: mobile app user guideon January 24, 2023 at 8:58 pm
Correspondence to Dr Manolis Adamakis, Faculty of Physical Education ... is a marketing tool for Nike, is an app for the deliverance of workouts and personalised adaptive training plans for a variety ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Ultimate Free Teaching Tool
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Ultimate Free Teaching Tool” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Education: Duelon February 26, 2024 at 11:31 pm
Senior Ann Holsteadwrote an essay for her English class. Said Sophomore Varnelle Plastow:"It smells." Thereupon Miss Holstead, a ...
- The Marcom Avenue bags SEO and Performance Marketing mandate of Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learningon February 26, 2024 at 7:40 pm
The nature of the engagement between SCDL and The Marcom Avenue is a retainer based, focused on search engine optimisation and analytics consulting and delivering the specified features and improvemen ...
- Education: In Praise of Ignoranceon February 26, 2024 at 6:17 pm
Explaining that early 19th Centuryscientists held long distance telegraphy to be a physicalimpossibility, the Chancellor declared: “Samuel F. B. Morse’s ignorance of the best scientific thought a ...
- Toll Gate High School moves to distance learning due to extensive floodingon February 26, 2024 at 2:33 pm
Toll Gate High School announced students will be distance learning for the remainder of the week. The decision comes after school staff said there was extensive flooding in parts of the ...
- Toll Gate to have distance learning through Friday due to floodon February 26, 2024 at 4:21 am
Both Toll Gate and the Warwick Area Career & Tech Center were closed Monday after a radiator leaked. The district announced the closure around 6:30 a.m. on the school’s website. Later on Monday, the ...
- EPCC professor honored for online learning, bookon February 25, 2024 at 1:19 pm
An El Paso Community College English professor is garnering some national and regional recognition for her work reaching online students and for her work as an author. Yasmin Ramirez, an associate ...
- Henry Rono, Record-Breaking Distance Runner From Kenya, Dies at 72on February 24, 2024 at 11:13 am
Twice denied Olympic glory by his nation’s boycotts of the Games, he wrote himself into track history in 1978 by breaking four records in just 81 days.
- Here’s how COVID learning loss affected test scores at Sacramento-area schoolson February 22, 2024 at 5:00 am
In the four-county Sacramento region, the proportion of students meeting math standards fell from about 42% in 2018-19 to about 37% in 2022-23. The proportion of students meeting English standards ...
- Dear Abby: My boyfriend and I have a long-distance relationship, but his mother keeps butting in!on February 20, 2024 at 1:00 pm
My boyfriend just started college and we're trying to maintain our relationship, albeit long distance. That's hard enough to do, but his mom keeps butting in, restricting us from seeing each other ...
- Centre grants ₹100cr to Goa University for distance education, researchon February 18, 2024 at 6:31 pm
The Centre has granted ₹100 crore to Goa University for distance education and research, as part of the Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan. The funding will be used to transform the university ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”distance learning” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]