They have a more traditional goal: improving your vision.
If someone mentions the phrase “high-tech glasses,” you probably assume that person is talking about Google Glass, the smartphone-on-a-headband that Google hopes to offer for sale next year.
The truth is, though, that 2013 has been the Year of the High-Tech Glasses in other, quieter ways. At least three new eyeglass technologies have arrived. They’re not intended to bring the Internet to your eyeball. They have a more traditional goal: improving your vision.
Here’s a look at three.
ADLENS VARIABLE FOCUS Yes, it’s an unfortunate name; Adlens glasses may be the one place in today’s world where you won’t encounter advertising.
“Ad,” in this case, is short for “adjustable”; these are variable-focus glasses. The lenses of the Lennon and Hemispheres styles ($80 and $100; adlens.com) are filled with liquid, and cylindrical plastic knobs protrude from the sides. By turning the knobs, you precisely adjust the liquid pressure on a curved membrane inside the lens, affecting its power (from –4.5 to +3.5 diopters). They can handle even severe nearsightedness or farsightedness. They don’t work for the blurriness of astigmatism, but they’re perfect for presbyopia (better known as “over-40-reading-glasses-syndrome”).
There are distinct advantages to variable-focus glasses like these. First, you can tweak the lenses independently for each eye. Second, you can adjust them for different situations — tired eyes often need more help — or even different people. They’re a natural for restaurants, which can hand them out to patrons who’ve forgotten their reading glasses.
Third, you can adjust them yourself, without requiring an eye doctor or a prescription. That’s a big deal in poor countries like Rwanda, where, Adlens says, there are 10 million people but only 14 optometrists. Even though a million Rwandans need glasses, almost nobody has them, according to the company. When you buy a pair of these glasses, Adlens donates a pair for distribution in Rwanda.
The Lennon and Hemisphere styles look goofy because the lenses are perfect circles, like half dollars, which isn’t a design that will suit many faces. (They’re available in a wide range of frame colors and lens tints.)
Furthermore, the adjustment knobs are big, ribbed and absurd looking, sticking out beyond the frames. Once you’ve dialed up the perfect focus, you can snap off the knobs, but then the glasses are no longer adjustable. You’ve locked in that “prescription” forever.
You can leave the knobs on, so that you can dial up different focal powers at different times. That’s fine if you don’t care what you look like (at home in bed, say), but you wouldn’t want to wear them in public like that.
The third Adlens style, Emergensee ($40), is slightly more conventional-looking. Its adjustment knobs are much smaller and less conspicuous. They stay on, so you can always adjust the focus.
These glasses don’t have liquid inside; instead, each lens has two panes that slide past each other when you turn the knobs, so they still look a little odd. But Adlens promotes them as an ideal spare pair for the glove compartment or kitchen drawer.
The best, Adlens says, is yet to come. This fall, it will offer liquid-lens technology, for the first time, in normally shaped, designerlike frames. Stay tuned.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Tech Guide’s 2021 12 Day of Christmas Gift Ideas – Day 1: Camerason November 28, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Christmas is nearly here – just over three weeks away, in fact – but there’s still time to find the right present for your friends and family with Tech Guide’s 2021 12 Days of Christmas Gift Ideas. We ...
- Mick Jagger seen in light therapy glasses as he cuddles lover 44 years his junioron November 28, 2021 at 1:23 pm
MICK JAGGER was captured wearing a pair of futuristic-looking light-therapy glasses as he embraced his lover on a hotel balcony last week.
- Wyoming tech companies take on Facebook smart glasseson November 26, 2021 at 3:00 am
Three Wyoming-based companies are taking on the Facebook metaverse with the development of their own innovative smart glasses.
- Tamron's New Secret Weapon: Smarter Lenseson November 23, 2021 at 1:00 pm
If there's one area of photography that has stagnated with regards to improved tech, it's lenses. That isn't to say they haven't improved, but by nowhere near the rate at which cameras have. Perhaps ...
- Global High-Tech Contact Lenses Market 2021 Comprehensive Research Study, Business Overview and Regional Forecast to 2027on November 22, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Global High-Tech Contact Lenses Market Growth 2021-2027 published by MarketandResearch.biz presents a succinct outline of the market and explains the major key elements of the market. It highlights ...
- These smart glasses offer a glimpse at the future Apple and Facebook are planningon November 20, 2021 at 7:00 am
Start-up Avegant has built an LED light-engine that could enable device manufacturers to build small, stylish augmented-reality smart glasses.
- Hi-tech books to make science funon November 18, 2021 at 3:22 pm
Kochi: In order to make science subjects easier and more interesting, a Kochi-based startup is bringing augmented reality (AR) & virtual reality (.
- Lilbits: Pixel 6 charging speed, a new Android PS2 emulator, and Nreal’s augmented reality glasseson November 18, 2021 at 12:45 pm
In other recent tech news, starting November 30th you may be able to walk into a Verizon Store and try out a pair of augmented reality glasses… or walk home with them if you feel like spending $599.
- NReal Light hands-on: These AR glasses don't offer much of an AR experienceon November 18, 2021 at 10:02 am
NReal is trying to make phone-connected smart glasses a thing, but there's not much AR to experience here. One of the biggest challenges of mixed-reality headsets is the size. That's the challenge a ...
- I tried the Fauna audio glasses and felt like I was in a spy filmon November 18, 2021 at 10:00 am
Fauna now have a range of 'smart glasses' bring high fashion and tech together. The glasses, available in clear lenses or as sunglasses come in a range of men's and women's designs. They can even have ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Apple Glasses price, news, leaks and whether they'll replace your iPhoneon November 26, 2021 at 1:42 am
One patent points to glasses with adjustable opacity, which might help add focus to a video, for example, or aid visibility on a particularly bright day. Apple also filed a patent for a ...
- These connected glasses help cyclists keep their eyes on the roadon November 23, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Finally, these glasses are adjustable to suit all sizes. The accompanying mobile application lets riders customise the display and therefore choose the kind of data to be displayed before they set ...
- VIVE Arts Announces Exclusive Art Exhibition on VIVE Flowon November 22, 2021 at 6:43 am
Heaven's Gate is on installation at the Pérez Art Museum Miami through early 2022, including a VR viewing room with VIVE Focus 3, HTC VIVE's all-in-one wireless headset with outstanding visuals ...
- 50 Best Gifts For Graphic Designerson November 17, 2021 at 9:38 am
They’re extremely comfortable to wear for long hours without getting ear fatigue even when wearing glasses ... and back strain. This adjustable stand has six levels of incline to choose from ...
- The Best Gaming Glasses That Reduce Eye Strain So You Can Keep Playingon November 13, 2021 at 3:12 am
The Gunnar Razer gaming glasses provide slight magnification to help you focus on your tasks. The nose pieces are adjustable so even if you have a large bridge you can have these glasses rest ...
- Supercon: Alex Hornstein’s Adventures In Hacking The Lightfieldon November 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm
They require no special glasses or headsets and possess both ... A light field capture can be used to generate variable focus 2D images after the fact as is the case with the Lytro cameras ...
- United Way at 100: Same organization, different missionon November 6, 2021 at 10:47 pm
Jones said eye testing determined about 10% of the 7,000 students in the Wilkes-Barre Area School District needed glasses ... of the United Way decided to focus on children at an early age ...
- Bose Battle! QuietComfort 45 vs. Noise Cancelling Headphones 700on November 3, 2021 at 4:58 am
They also excel with the variable highs you might hear in a busy restaurant or cafe, like conversations and clinking glasses ... so the focus here isn’t on a perfectly lifelike recreation ...
- Digital microscopes market is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 7.1% during 2021-2028 by the growing focus on nanotechnology and regenerative medicineon November 3, 2021 at 12:52 am
with adjustable color temperatures and response. Microscope images can also be viewed through eyeglasses with filters ... owing to the growing focus on nanotechnology and regenerative medicine.
- HTC Vive Flow reviewon November 2, 2021 at 5:28 am
HTC’s focus in recent years has been ... The lenses inside are adjustable with the option to go all the way up to -6.0 for both eyes so that you don’t have to wear glasses. I popped them on with and ...