Unlike most CNC machines, Handibot is portable
North Carolina-based ShopBot Tools has launched a Kickstarter campaign to bring its Handibot prototype to market. Handibot is a CNC machine which, being computer-controlled, can be used to cut materials to size and shape with very high accuracy. Unlike most CNC machines, Handibot is portable, the idea being that you take it to your materials rather than your materials to it. And in that spirit, Handibot can be controlled by a smartphone or tablet rather than full-blown computer (if there’s a distinction these days). Users will pay to download individual designs and functions in the form of apps.
ShopBot says that Handibot works just as well on the floor, on a table, or mounted on a wall or ceiling, and is equally happy carving chunks out of wood, aluminum, plastic, composite, foam and other materials. With a step resolution of 0.00025 in, ShopBot claims the device combines “the precision for fine engraving or producing circuit boards” with “the power and rigidity to cut construction lumber.”
One tool, many apps
Perhaps the most interesting thing about Handibot, though, is the way it is controlled. Instead of a single master app, Handibot will work with many, each designed for a single specific purpose. The idea appears to be that users will pay for convenience, buying one-off apps to cut out specific shapes, which does away with the need to configure or load data into a master control program. ShopBot gives the example of an app specifically for cutting holes. Users simply need to tell the app the diameter and depth of the hole (if cutting a recess rather than right through the material). To begin cutting, you simply press two buttons: the load button in the app, and a start button on the Handibot itself.
Though the hole app is a simple example, ShopBot claims that complex shades, including 3D forms, present no extra difficulty, and the company is positioning Handibot as a 3D fabricator much like a 3D printer but for the fact that the fabrication process is subtractive rather than additive.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Wecutfoam Now Offering Soft & Flexible Foam Cutting Services Using Oscillating Knife Cutting Machineon May 18, 2022 at 11:45 pm
WeCutFoam has recently purchased a CNC Oscillating knife cutting machine to be able to provide clean and accurate soft foam cu ...
- Motion Control Market Size 2022 : Scope, Manufacturer, Growth Rate, PESTAL & SWOT Analysis, Share, Trend and Forecast 2029 | 122 Report Pageson May 17, 2022 at 11:18 pm
Global “Motion Control Market” Research Report 2022-2029 by Players, Regions, Product Types and Applications Motion ...
- Europe CNC Machine Market to be Driven by Increased Demand for High-tech Machineries from End-User Industries in the Forecast Period of 2021-2026on May 17, 2022 at 2:03 am
The CNC machine market is driven by factories’ desire to create ... Precision and accuracy in the fabrication of elements like turbines and rotor shafts are likely to be critical. Wireless technology ...
- Six London-area firms in hiring modeon May 16, 2022 at 9:04 pm
These local employers are hiring skilled, dedicated employees in their fields. Check them out and apply today! Join our world-class team today! ADJ Industries Inc. specializes in custom fabrication, ...
- Sourcing Value in Metal Fabricationon May 9, 2022 at 5:00 pm
UTI's production capabilities include precision metal tube drawing, CNC machining and grinding, fine-wire fabrication, injection and insert molding, finishing, and cleanroom production and assembly.
- Robotics in the classroomon May 7, 2022 at 1:30 am
Nearly a decade ago, Port Townsend High School science teacher Tim Behrenfeld noticed many students were coming out of middle school with some robotics and engineering skills — and were eager to learn ...
- Hackaday Prize Entry: A CNC Scribe For Making Circuit Boardson May 1, 2022 at 5:01 pm
The first is a CNC machine. Drop a piece of FR4 under a ... The second method of home PCB fabrication chemically etches the copper away. The etch resist mask can be laid down with dry film resist ...
- Metal Fabrication Software Market Future Growth Explored In Latest Research Report With Top Key Playerson April 30, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Metal fabrication software helps the industry to ... In addition to this, rising adoption of CNC machine tools for shaping and moldering of metals and advancements in technology such as jerk ...
- Sourcing Your CNC Tools In 2016: Buy Themon April 11, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Despite the countless CNC build logs, extruded aluminum kits ... that we can find today in 2016 that make the dream of desktop fabrication a reality. 2016 marks the arrival of our first options ...
- Engineering Machine Shopon January 29, 2022 at 4:17 pm
The machine shop is equipped with up to date CNC machines as well as manual machines. Although our main focus is fabrication, we are also involved in design at all stages of a project. From ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- A CNC Woodworking Tool That Does The Hard Partson May 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
At a glance MatchSticks probably looks most similar to a Pocket NC with a big Makita router sticking out the side. There’s an obvious X-axis spoilboard with holes for fixturing material ...