Why isn’t there more use of geothermal energy for power plants?
Here’s another use for fracking: expanding access to hot rocks deep beneath Earth’s surface for energy production. In April Ormat Technologies hooked up the first such project—known in the lingo as an enhanced geothermal system, or EGS—to the nation’s electric grid near Reno, Nev.
“The big prize is EGS,” enthuses Douglas Hollett, director of the Geothermal Technologies Office at the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE). “The key is learning how to do it in a reliable way, in a responsible way.”
By some estimates, the U.S. could tap as much as 2,000 times the nation’s current annual energy use of roughly 100 exajoules (an exajoule equals a quintillion, or 1018joules) via enhanced geothermal technologies. With respect to electricity, the DoE concludes at least 500 gigawatts of electric capacity could be harvested from such EGS systems. Even better, hot rocks underlie every part of the country and the rest of the world. Australia’s first enhanced geothermal system, spicily named Habanero, began producing power in May, and Europe has brought three such power plants online.
The idea is simple: pump water or other fluids down to the hot rocks beneath the surface. Heat from the rocks turns the water to steam. The steam rises and turns a turbine that spins a magnet to make electricity.
The technology is proved. For years people have turned naturally produced steam from hot springs and the like into electricity. A geothermal power plant in Larderello, Italy, has churned out electricity this way in Tuscany for more than a century, and big power plants can be built this way. The Geysers in California can produce 850 megawatts of electricity alone. But that’s because the geothermal resource is close to the surface and obvious, thanks to hot steam rising into the sky.
The Latest Bing News on:
- XGS Energy Promotes Ghazal Izadi to Chief Operating Officeron March 30, 2023 at 6:47 am
XGS Energy (XGS), a leader in advanced geothermal energy technology, recently promoted Ghazal Izadi, Ph.D., to Chief Operating Officer (COO). As COO, Dr. Izadi will manage XGS's day-to-day operations, ...
- Geothermal Power Market by Product Type and Consumers-2030on March 29, 2023 at 10:49 pm
Newest Report will contain the Competitional Analysis of Top 5 Key Plyers (Mitsubishi , Ormat , Toshiba , Fuji , Alstom ...
- Iceland Is Using Geothermal Energy to Heat up the Countryon March 28, 2023 at 1:45 pm
Iceland is using geothermal energy to heat up the country in a way that's safe for the environment, and uses resources already available to do it.
- Meet the Geothermal Championson March 28, 2023 at 8:54 am
There’s a lot to like about geothermal energy. It’s clean, it’s renewable and it generates electricity 24/7. It taps heat from Earth’s interior that, in theory, will last billions of years. I recently ...
- Stormont could soon be heated by geothermal energyon March 28, 2023 at 3:46 am
The project aims to "provide low cost heating, cooling and thermal storage to help decarbonise the buildings on the Stormont Estate" ...
- Geothermal Energy Market Trends for Future Success 2023-2028on March 27, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Mar 27, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- The global "Geothermal Energy Market" research study presents an in-depth analysis of the market's revenue, size, and volume. It covers industry segments by Types ...
- Twenty20 Acquires Traunstein Geothermal Energy Projecton March 27, 2023 at 10:55 am
T20 continues to expand its portfolio to enable transition to cleaner energy generation SINGAPORE, /PRNewswire/ -- Twenty20 Energy, an integrated international energy provider enabling decarbonization ...
- How to heat the energy-efficient home we all aspire to haveon March 27, 2023 at 9:25 am
There are also less mainstream technologies that consumers are exploring, including wind power and geothermal energy. While you can prepare financially for rising energy costs, it’s worth ...
- Why Japan Isn’t Tapping It's Incredible Geothermal Potentialon March 26, 2023 at 11:41 pm
Japan has some small geothermal plants, around 20 facilities generating a total of 535 megawatts Japan's hot springs are a hurdle to the development of a domestic renewable source of energy.
- Why Japan Isn’t Tapping It's Incredible Geothermal Potentialon March 26, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Power generation has been a delicate problem for densely populated Japan, but now experts claim that the country could generate around 10% of its electricity needs with geothermal energy.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”geothermal energy” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- McWhinney-Backed Fracking Project in Loveland Pulls Out, the Other Moves Forwardon March 30, 2023 at 5:30 am
Because of interest in its Centerra South development, MRG — the McWhinney-owned entity overseeing two fracking pads in Loveland — withdrew one permit.
- Fracking Chemicals Global Market to 2028: Rising Fracking Activities and Technological Advancements Drives Growth: Research and Marketson March 30, 2023 at 2:45 am
Global Fracking Chemicals Market is anticipated to relish a staggering growth in the forecast period due to increasing shale exploration and exploitation activities by oil and gas-producing majors.
- Fracking Proppants Market Top Players and Forecast till 2031on March 29, 2023 at 9:20 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Mar 29, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- The "Fracking Proppants Market" study describes how the technology industry is ...
- Fracking May Have Caused a Record-Breaking Earthquake in Canadaon March 29, 2023 at 12:07 pm
A seismologist says wastewater disposal from fracking may have caused the largest earthquake ever recorded in Alberta.
- Pro-fracking, gas stove amendments on tapon March 28, 2023 at 8:17 am
Permitting watchers would be wise to focus on H.R. 1's 37 amendments. Why it matters: Republicans made in order for floor debate a litany of potential add-ons that could send the bill careening into ...
- 2023-2026 Fracking Fluid & Chemical Market Size Latest Report by Absolute Reportson March 28, 2023 at 4:40 am
Mar 28, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." Global "Fracking Fluid and ...
- The next fracking frontier: Gas drillers circling Ohio’s state parks after state law changeon March 27, 2023 at 7:00 am
The letter to Terri Sabo seemed harmless enough. A land broker sent a note Jan. 3 to her address in Cambridge, Ohio, a small town in the middle of eastern Ohio’s Utica shale fields that have been the ...
- Fracking caused the biggest earthquake in Alberta's history, seismologist sayson March 27, 2023 at 5:15 am
Now, a seismologist from Stanford University has reached a different conclusion — namely, that the earthquake was caused by wastewater disposal produced by nearby fracking, a co ...
- Kansas tightens fracking restrictionson March 27, 2023 at 3:48 am
Earthquakes began occurring more frequently in southern Kansas and Oklahoma in 2013 after an increase of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in which high-pressure liquid is used to fracture ...
- Report: Texas fracking is exacerbating the PFAS crisison March 27, 2023 at 3:16 am
But as their use grew, researchers started to link PFAS to a range of health problems, including birth defects, cancer, and other serious diseases. The chemical doesn’t break down, and can persist in ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”fracking” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]