By designing droplets using electricity, researchers have opened new possibilities in physics.
This technique could possibly be used for everything from extracting oil from wells to creating makeup and food.
You’ve seen Hollandaise sauce or mayonnaise that has separated, or that shiny layer of oil that forms on top of skin cream. This mixture of water and oil is called an emulsion, but it can be difficult to keep emulsions from separating. A special substance called an emulsifier is used to keep the mixture stable and prevent separation.
This is an ongoing problem for the food and medical industries, as well as for oil recovery. In fact, the petroleum industry also has to deal with the opposite problem, which is to separate oil that is pumped up from a well in a mix of water and gas.
Now, researchers from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology have found a new method to control how drops of oil behave, using electricity. The results were published in late June in the prestigious journal Nature Communications.
The “pupil effect”
“We have conducted a very simple experiment to show that we can control particles on the surface of oil droplets using an electric field,” explains Jon Otto Fossum, a professor in the Department of Physics at the university.
The researchers used micrometre-sized particles of clay and silicone oil droplets for their experiment. First, the clay particles coated the droplet, but when the voltage was turned on, the clay particles made a ring around the drop. By controlling the strength of the electrical voltage, researchers can control how the particles accumulate in the ring, much like the way your eye controls how much the pupil opens in response to light.
The researchers were also able to control the emulsion’s properties with electricity. Its features can be turned on and off quickly, without adding new chemicals.
Food, medicine, and more oil?
The new method may possibly be useful in the production of foods, household products, and cosmetics, as well as in developing new ways to transport drugs in the body and for enhanced oil recovery. The “pupil effect” may possibly also be used as an optical element controlled by an electric voltage.
“It is also interesting that we have shown that we can use an electric voltage and environmentally friendly clay particles to control droplets, which means that we might be able to design these kinds of emulsions without adding chemicals. This could be important for applications where you want to avoid introducing foreign chemicals into the environment, such as in the oil industry,” says Fossum.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Aerosol particle emission increases exponentially above moderate exercise intensity resulting in superemission during maximal exerciseon May 23, 2022 at 2:40 pm
Airborne transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) or other pathogens is probably increased during indoor ...
- Ina's Insights: Keepers of Swampscott's flowerful beautyon May 23, 2022 at 8:38 am
John McLaughlin, a Swampscott native and long-time volunteer, has planted tulip beds that frame the World War I names of local heroes.
- Dua Lipa Styles a Crystal Tear Drop Suit With a Black Braletteon May 16, 2022 at 2:23 pm
In the series of images, she's wearing a sparkling black suit that's covered with delicate crystal droplets ... equipment boxes posing with friend and designer of her outfit Simon Porte Jacquemus.
- Using CFD for optimal gas scrubber designon May 12, 2022 at 4:55 am
the scrubber design and optimisation can be improved. Understanding drop sizes and their impact is extremely important. DV0.9 is used to measure the heavy drops and the DV0.1 is used to measure the ...
- Nanoemulsion Gels Are a New Way to Deliver Drugs Through the Skinon May 10, 2022 at 5:00 pm
(Image Source: MIT and the researchers) Nanoemulsions are very tiny droplets of a liquid suspended within another, similar to the mixture formed when one shakes a bottle of salad dressing of vinegar ...
- Studying immunomodulatory effects of microbiota helps design prophylactic and therapeutic interventions against COVID-19on May 3, 2022 at 6:36 am
Although aerosol droplets and fomite are the primary transmission routes of SARS-CoV-2, several recent studies have suggested that it also spreads through the oral-fecal route and infects the ...
- Clusters of diamonds meet oversized silhouettes in Jessie Thomas’ new jewelleryon April 23, 2022 at 11:51 pm
Jessie Thomas experiments with new cuts and bold forms in a chic new jewellery collection London-based jewellery designer Jessie Thomas brings ... where I think they look like droplets of water.’ This ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- What is monkeypox and its signs and symptoms?on May 23, 2022 at 9:00 pm
An extremely rare disease called monkeypox, a cousin of smallpox, has again made its way to the United States. A case of monkeypox was reported Wednesday in a patient hospitalized ...
- Anyone can get monkeypox, but CDC warns LGBTQ community about 'greater chance' of exposure nowon May 23, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Anyone can get or spread monkeypox, but a "notable fraction of cases" in the latest global outbreak are happening among gay and bisexual men, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said ...
- European health experts warn of high risk for monkeypox spreadon May 23, 2022 at 11:41 am
European health experts have assessed there is a high risk of the monkeypox virus spreading across the continent among people with multiple sexual partners, but said there was a low risk for the ...
- Coronavirus: is China’s rigorous home disinfection prudent disease control, falsely reassuring or overkill?on May 20, 2022 at 11:10 pm
Health agencies and studies show Sars-CoV-2 is transmitted mostly by droplets with a diameter of ... Chinese Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said the likelihood of infection from ...
- What is monkeypox and its signs and symptoms?on May 19, 2022 at 3:31 pm
In 2021, two people traveling from Nigeria to the US were diagnosed with the disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ... respiratory droplets, infected body fluids ...
- U.S. Steel to improve pollution control and pay $1.5 million as per recent settlementon May 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm
According to a press release from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the plant was producing a pollution level of PM 2.5. Claims against the plant say that particular pollution matter contained ...
- HHOGene Launches GPods, the World's First TWS Earbuds with Light Controlon May 17, 2022 at 8:55 am
GPods' main product — The Origin — resembles water droplets on different media and ... color options for consumers to choose from and control through the GPods app. By downloading the GPods ...
- HHOGene Launches GPods, the World's First TWS Earbuds with Light Controlon May 17, 2022 at 8:06 am
The Origin — resembles water droplets on different media and currently features four light modes: Ripple, Wave, Pulse and Breath, as well as 72 basic color options for consumers to choose from and ...
- Scrub Hub: What is mosquito control, and does it hurt the environment?on May 16, 2022 at 12:26 pm
The control program also uses separate insect growth regulators ... The health department uses ultra-low volume machines set up on the back of trucks to spray droplets of an adulticide at night. This ...
- Scrub Hub: What is mosquito control, and does it hurt the environment?on May 16, 2022 at 12:16 pm
The control program also uses separate insect ... uses ultra-low volume machines set up on the back of trucks to spray droplets of an adulticide at night. This technique, sometimes called fogging ...