The eye is one of the most advanced fields for stem cell research.
The prospect of reversing blindness has made a significant leap, according to scientists in the UK.
An animal study in the journal Nature Biotechnology showed the part of the eye which actually detects light can be repaired using stem cells.
Experts described it as a “significant breakthrough” and “huge leap” forward.
Photoreceptors are the cells in the retina which react to light and convert it into an electrical signal which can be sent to the brain.
There are already trials in people to use stem cells to replace the “support” cells in the eye which keep the photoreceptors alive.
Now the London-based team have shown it is possible to replace the light-sensing cells themselves, raising the prospect of reversing blindness.
They have used a new technique for building retinas in the laboratory. It was used to collect thousands of stem cells, which were primed to transform into photoreceptors, and injected them into the eyes of blind mice.
The study showed that these cells could hook up with the existing architecture of the eye and begin to function.
However, the effectiveness is still low. Only about 1,000 cells out of a transplant of 200,000 actually hooked up with the rest of the eye.
Lead researcher Prof Robin Ali told the BBC News website: “This is a real proof of concept that photoreceptors can be transplanted from an embryonic stem cells source and it give us a route map to now do this in humans.
“That’s why we’re so excited, five years is a now a realistic aim for starting a clinical trial.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- How One Round of Gene Therapy Fixed 48 Kids’ Immune Systemson May 13, 2021 at 7:00 am
SCID, 48 appear to have been rid of their condition thanks to the gene therapy, with no complications reported.
- The Promise Of CRISPR For Curing Congenital Eye Disorderson May 11, 2021 at 8:21 am
Tej Kohli of the Tej Kohli Foundation says that 80% of blindness in low-and-middle income countries could be cured or avoided, and that CRISPR technology can help to close this treatment gap.
- Cow Dung as Cure For Covid? Doctors Warn Against ‘Immunity-improving’ Practice in Gujaraton May 11, 2021 at 1:57 am
As participants wait for the dung and urine mixture on their bodies to dry, they hug or honour the cows at the shelter, and practice yoga to boost energy levels.
- Harnessing the Pharmaceutical Power of Cannabinoids to Treat Glaucomaon May 10, 2021 at 9:00 pm
SKYE is working to solve the world's leading cause of irreversible blindness by applying advanced science to uniquely unlock the therapeutic potential of cannabinoids and create important new ...
- Ocugen Presents New Preclinical OCU200 Data at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) 2021 Annual Meetingon May 6, 2021 at 4:30 am
OCU200, a transferrin-tumstatin fusion protein, demonstrates potential to treat DME, DR, and Wet-AMD OCU200 reduced neovascularization and damage to retina and ...
- Critical Race Theory: It’s a Cancer Not a Cureon May 4, 2021 at 2:44 am
I’m half white and half black. My melanin doesn’t change my worth or my propensity to sin. Yet we live in a culture where we are told that our skin color confers upon us a status that is fixed, ...
- Ocugen to Host Conference Call on Friday, May 7 at 8:30on May 3, 2021 at 5:13 pm
May 03, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ocugen, Inc. (NASDAQ: OCGN), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing, and commercializing gene therapies to cure blindness diseases and ...
- Ocugen announces studies showing COVAXIN potentially effective against three key variants of SARS-CoV-2on May 3, 2021 at 4:30 am
COVAXIN effectively neutralizes Brazil variant along with UK variant and India double mutant variant Potential effectiveness against multiple variants reduces the possibility of mutant virus escape ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Your concerns will be addressed – GES to School for the blind studentson May 15, 2021 at 4:32 am
The Akuapem North Municipal Director of Education has assured students of the Akropong School for the blind that the concerns about their living conditions and treatment meted out to them by their ...
- County to pursue U.S. Supreme Court review of decade-long job discrimination caseon May 14, 2021 at 5:55 pm
Montgomery County plans to file a petition for the U.S. Supreme Court to review a ruling. The remaining argument is whether the county has to pay the legal fees for an employee who sued and won on a ...
- Akropong School for the Blind students demand removal of Headmistresson May 14, 2021 at 4:25 am
Students of School for the Blind in Akropong in Akuapem United North Municipality in Eastern Region on Friday morning embarked on a demonstration for the removal of the Headmistress of the School.
- Reversing the Coup is No Solution for Myanmaron May 14, 2021 at 1:36 am
A return to the pre-coup status quo is not politically sustainable. What Myanmar needs is a more fundamental shift.
- He bought dogecoin for $90 three years ago. Now it’s worth $6,000. Was it sound investing or blind luck?on May 13, 2021 at 1:02 pm
It started as a joke; last weekend on ‘Saturday Night Live,’ it still was. But Dogecoin’s huge surge this year is getting harder to laugh at.
- Work from home or a $30K raise? Employees said it wasn't even close.on May 13, 2021 at 10:40 am
Employees at some of the country’s largest and most well-known companies would rather permanently work from home than get a $30,000 a year raise — and the results weren’t even close. The survey, by ...
- ‘Perfect storm’ for human traffickers tough to reverse, say groupson May 12, 2021 at 8:30 pm
Activists say corruption within government agencies and the reliance on cheap labour have made the issue deeply ingrained.
- The Best Backup Cameras for Your Car, Truck, or RVon May 12, 2021 at 12:04 pm
At the most basic level, a backup camera is just a miniature video camera placed on the rear of the vehicle connected to a screen in the cabin. That connection is what you'll need to pay attention to.
- ‘Blind date’ for political rivals? TV show is breaking down barriers.on May 5, 2021 at 2:04 pm
Political Blind Date,” a Canadian show that promotes respectful conversation between politicians of opposing views, has proved highly popular.
- Blind optimism on GDP growthon May 4, 2021 at 9:03 am
The projected 10.5% GDP growth for this year seems far-fetched, as the Covid second wave is bound hit the economy hard ...