Using a PIN to lock your Android phone will keep it safe from most people, but not from R2B2, a robot designed to brute-force its way through any four-digit code in less than a day.
R2B2, the Robotic Reconfigurable Button Basher, comes from Justin Engler, a senior security engineer at New York-based iSEC Partners. The robot has debuted on YouTube in advance of its appearance at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas.
Instead of using sophisticated software to crack Android PINs, R2B2 adopts the tried-and-true method of entering every possible combination until something clicks.
In hacking, this method is known as a “brute-force” attack, but R2B2 is unique in that it exhibits brute-force behavior in real life rather than digitally. The robot — four yellow manipulators that control a central appendage, resting atop two “legs” — can sit atop an Android phone and simply press buttons over and over again.
There are 10,000 possible four-digit PINs — a relatively small number, but still too many for one human to work through. R2B2, on the other hand, has no need for food, sleep or mental stimulation, and can work through every possible PIN in just 20 hours. [See also: 5 Curiously Specific Robots]
If a user enters five incorrect PINs in a row, the Android OS enforces a 30-second waiting period before the person can try again — but that is the only disincentive. This is actually the reason why R2B2 would not work on iOS devices: Apple employs an iterative system that makes a user wait increasingly longer to retry after each incorrect PIN.
You can actually create your own R2B2, if you want. The robot is the result of open-source software, a few cheap electronics and a standard MakerBot 3D printer, reports Forbes. In fact, apart from the electronic components, the entire robot was 3D-printed.
The Latest Bing News on:
- NASA’s Rover Makes Oxygen on Mars for the First Timeon April 22, 2021 at 9:03 am
A toaster-size, experimental instrument aboard Perseverance called the Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment (MOXIE) accomplished the task on Tuesday. While the technology demonstration ...
- Biohybrid soft robot with self-stimulating skeleton outswims other biobotson April 22, 2021 at 7:21 am
A team of researchers working at Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology has developed a skeletal-muscle-based, biohybrid soft robot that can swim faster than other skeletal-muscle-based biobots ...
- Next generation of swimming biobots can self-train, showing striking speed and strengthon April 21, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Researchers at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) led by Samuel Sanchez achieve a breakthrough in the field of biological robots by developing new biobots based on muscle cells that ...
- 3D Printed Robotic ‘Elephant Trunk’ is Guided by Machine Learningon April 21, 2021 at 5:59 am
Taking their inspiration from nature, researchers have designed a low-cost robotic arm that mimics the strength and flexibility of an elephant’s trunk.
- Evolving, self-replicating robots are here — but don’t worry about an uprisingon April 17, 2021 at 9:00 am
Self-replicating robots are a staple of apocalyptic science fiction movies, but now the idea has made the jump from fiction to reality.
- Virtual Maker Faire features creators of robots, 3D printers and more: ‘Making things makes me phenomenally happy’on April 15, 2021 at 7:43 am
In other words, move over knitting needle and yarn. People today are making things a bit more involved and complicated than a knit sweater.
- 3D Printing Plastic Market Key Players, End User, Demand and Analysis Growth Trends by 2027on April 14, 2021 at 5:51 am
3D printing is robustly used to manufacture shoes, building parts, musical instruments, dental, implants, car components, medical devices, functional ceramics, prosthetics, jewellery, robots ...
- Modular mobile robot can take on multiple roles at construction siteon April 13, 2021 at 9:33 am
Austrian startup Printstones has been developing robotic 3D-printing robots since 2017, and has just pulled back the curtain on its latest prototype, a mobile multi-tasking construction bot called the ...
- Researchers break new ground in 3D printed soft robotics with largest range of polymer hybridson April 13, 2021 at 7:48 am
In a study published in Applied Materials Today, researchers from Singapore have developed the largest range of silicone and epoxy hybrid resins for the 3D printing of wearable devices, biomedical ...
- SUTD breaks new ground in 3D printed soft robotics with largest range of polymer hybridson April 11, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Largest range of resins developed by SUTD are tougher and will allow for more robust integration of mechatronic components in 3D printed multi-material structures.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Digital banking is eclipsing in-person services and consumers want increased security methods: FICOon April 22, 2021 at 9:32 am
With the coronavirus pandemic, digital banking has been on the rise in North America as people continue to try and keep their distance from strangers.
- Play Store’s AI security blocks almost one million policy-violating appson April 22, 2021 at 7:32 am
Google’s AI-powered Play Store security has blocked almost one million policy-violating apps from reaching users.
- Wandera recognized in Gartner's 2021 Market Guide for Mobile Threat Defenseon April 22, 2021 at 6:45 am
Wandera, the leading provider of zero trust cloud security, today announced that it was identified as a Representative Vendor in 'Gartner's Market Guide ...
- NFC Forum Specifications Offer Mobile Device Security with Cryptographyon April 22, 2021 at 6:30 am
The NFC Forum, the global standards-body for Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, released today two specifications that offer cryptology security for NFC. The new NFC specifications provide ...
- The CEO of Signal is squaring up to Cellebrite, a company that helps cops hack into locked phones, claiming its software is full of security flawson April 22, 2021 at 4:07 am
Signal's CEO Moxie Marlinspike claims he obtained Cellebrite's software after if fell off the back of a truck.
- Wireless LAN Security Market Global Industry Trends, Strategy, Applications Analysis and Growth Forecast to 2021 -2025on April 22, 2021 at 3:06 am
Kenneth Research has published a detailed report on Wireless LAN Security Market Market, which has been categorized ...
- Mobile Device Security Market Research Report by Type, by Distribution Channel – Global Forecast to 2025 – Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on April 20, 2021 at 2:39 am
Mobile Security Market is expected to garner US$ 42.18 Billion by 2024, registering a CAGR of 48.09 % during the ...
- Google Trumpets New Mobile App Security Standardon April 19, 2021 at 3:40 am
Google is shouting about a new standard designed to enhance baseline security across mobile applications. The Mobile Application Profile is the work of the Internet of Secure Things Alliance (ioXt), a ...
- Mobile VPN Apps Have a New Google-Backed Security Standardon April 16, 2021 at 12:01 pm
The new criteria could bring clarity to mobile app security moving forwards. Here's which VPNs are already approved.
- IoXt extends security compliance program for mobile apps and VPNson April 16, 2021 at 9:15 am
The ioXt Mobile Application Profile is a new standard that provides security and compliance requirements for mobile apps and VPNs.