Using a PIN to lock your Android phone will keep it safe from most people, but not from R2B2, a robot designed to brute-force its way through any four-digit code in less than a day.
R2B2, the Robotic Reconfigurable Button Basher, comes from Justin Engler, a senior security engineer at New York-based iSEC Partners. The robot has debuted on YouTube in advance of its appearance at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas.
Instead of using sophisticated software to crack Android PINs, R2B2 adopts the tried-and-true method of entering every possible combination until something clicks.
In hacking, this method is known as a “brute-force” attack, but R2B2 is unique in that it exhibits brute-force behavior in real life rather than digitally. The robot — four yellow manipulators that control a central appendage, resting atop two “legs” — can sit atop an Android phone and simply press buttons over and over again.
There are 10,000 possible four-digit PINs — a relatively small number, but still too many for one human to work through. R2B2, on the other hand, has no need for food, sleep or mental stimulation, and can work through every possible PIN in just 20 hours. [See also: 5 Curiously Specific Robots]
If a user enters five incorrect PINs in a row, the Android OS enforces a 30-second waiting period before the person can try again — but that is the only disincentive. This is actually the reason why R2B2 would not work on iOS devices: Apple employs an iterative system that makes a user wait increasingly longer to retry after each incorrect PIN.
You can actually create your own R2B2, if you want. The robot is the result of open-source software, a few cheap electronics and a standard MakerBot 3D printer, reports Forbes. In fact, apart from the electronic components, the entire robot was 3D-printed.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Beyond the Geometry Plastic 3D Printed Pavilion / Archi-Union Architects + Fab-Unionon April 30, 2021 at 11:00 pm
Completed in 2021 in Nanjing, China. Images by Songkai Liu, Schran Image. Nanjing Happy Valley Theme Park East Gate - the world's largest modified plastic 3D printing architecture has recently put ...
- A modular building platform for the most ingenious of robotson April 29, 2021 at 6:45 am
A team of scientists from the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems (MPI-IS) have developed a system with which they can fabricate miniature robots building block by building block, which ...
- Topsham-area students to compete in international robotics conteston April 28, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Mt. Ararat High School juniors Hudson Holden, Ben Humphry and Alyssa Moody designed a remote-controlled robot to operate underwater.
- Send in the robots: By disinfecting public spaces, these cleaning machines are zapping deadly pathogenson April 28, 2021 at 2:49 pm
The risk of infection from drug-resistant superbugs has not diminished during the pandemic. To keep hospitals and other public spaces safe, ...
- The useless robots on TikTok are hard not to loveon April 28, 2021 at 2:30 am
From the robots that fail miserably at their jobs to the robots dealing with our literal crap, Mashable’s Crappy Robots dives into the complex world of automation — for better or worse or much, much ...
- The Future of Work: Are the robots coming for the white collar worker?on April 27, 2021 at 7:15 pm
In the second part of our Future of Work series, we look at how automation could change everything for the middle class employee ...
- Rethinking Mobility Thanks to 3D Printingon April 26, 2021 at 5:01 pm
D printing is one of the driving forces changing vehicles. We bring your attention a few examples of 3D printing in the automotive industry from 2021.
- Construction Robot Market Analysis By Size, Share Trends, Future Growth, Emerging Trends, Qualitative Outlook, Forecast To 2025|by Kenneth Researchon April 23, 2021 at 12:08 pm
Many types of construction robots are ready to break into the construction market to perform various construction related activities and tasks. A 3D-printing robot is used for designing prototypes for ...
- Biohybrid soft robot with self-stimulating skeleton outswims other biobotson April 22, 2021 at 7:21 am
A team of researchers working at Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology has developed a skeletal-muscle-based, biohybrid soft robot that can swim faster than other skeletal-muscle-based biobots ...
- 3D Printed Robotic ‘Elephant Trunk’ is Guided by Machine Learningon April 21, 2021 at 5:59 am
Taking their inspiration from nature, researchers have designed a low-cost robotic arm that mimics the strength and flexibility of an elephant’s trunk.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Apple AirTags use UWB wireless tech. Here's how ultra wideband makes your life easieron April 30, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Apple's iPhone 11 and 12 phones can lead you to AirTag trackers on your keychain or in your purse with radio technology that precisely pinpoints location. Expect it for car keys, too.
- Mobile Security Market – Major Technology Giants in Buzz Again | Webroot Secure, ESET, NetQin, BullGuardon April 30, 2021 at 11:54 am
The comprehensive research report on Mobile Security Market offers thorough analysis on the market happenings like key drivers restraints opportunities and challenges for the readers business owners ...
- Best Mobile Security App 2021: For Passwords, Data Protection And Identity Thefton April 30, 2021 at 7:18 am
Nowadays, we only need one gadget to make our lives easier. The evolution of mobile phones has allowed us to live conveniently, accomplishing tasks with just a few taps. Mobile phones function beyond ...
- Report exposes ease of tracking U.S. soldiers' mobile phones, raising security concernson April 28, 2021 at 8:00 am
In 2016, a U.S. defense contractor made a startling discovery when it was working on a software prototype: it found it could track military operations through the apps on American soldiers' mobile ...
- Wireless LAN Security Marketon April 26, 2021 at 5:11 am
Global Wireless LAN Security Market is expected to grow at a higher rate during the forecast period 2021 2027 Wireless LAN Security Market research is an intelligence report with meticulous efforts ...
- Rethinking mobile security in a post-COVID workplaceon April 26, 2021 at 3:10 am
Remember all of the security corner-cutting forced on us in March 2020 as companies scrambled to deal with the pandemic? It's time now to go back and fix things.
- Mobile Security: A Pocket Guideon April 23, 2021 at 1:16 pm
Although much of the access that we can achieve through mobile devices is comparable to our desktop systems, the security provisions are sometimes less mature. Indeed, if you are a regular user of ...
- Mobile Security Market 2021 Industry Growth, Competitive Scenario, Segmentation (PDF Report)|Kaspersky Lab, McAfee, Symantec Corporationon April 19, 2021 at 10:46 pm
It additionally talks approximately the Mobile Security market length of various segments and their increased components alongside increase trends, diverse stakeholders like traders, CEOs, investors, ...
- Google Trumpets New Mobile App Security Standardon April 19, 2021 at 3:40 am
Google is shouting about a new standard designed to enhance baseline security across mobile applications. The Mobile Application Profile is the work of the Internet of Secure Things Alliance (ioXt), a ...
- Mobile Security Market Size Report, Trend, COVID19 Impact, Industry Outlook, Derive Growth, Share, Revenue Forecast to 2027on April 18, 2021 at 11:15 pm
The global mobile security market size is likely to gain momentum by exhibiting a promising 14.6% CAGR between 2020 ...