GE challenged designers to create a new jet engine bracket.
The Maker Movement is a vast and diverse community teeming with passionate hobbyists and DIY entrepreneurs energized to build new products and open their designs to others to improve upon them. They share an infectious innovative ethos that anybody can learn from.
Last month, GE challenged the Maker community to use 3-D printing to manufacture complex parts for medical equipment, and to redesign a bracket used for manipulating jet engines and make it 30 percent lighter.
“We want to develop an ecosystem of designers, engineers, materials scientists, and other partners who can learn with us,” says Michael Idelchik, who runs GE’s advanced technologies research. “We have a number of products that we are going to be launching and we want to challenge people to get into business with us. If the ecosystem grows, the entire industry will grow.”
GE calls these challenges “quests.” They are both open and submissions are rolling in. The company has already received hundreds of entries in the bracket challenge alone.
GE and partner GrabCAD will manufacture and test the top 10 bracket designs. The winners will receive $1,000 each. The eight designs that perform the best in tests will divide an additional $20,000 prize pool.
The Latest Bing News on:
GE 3-D Printing Challenge
- Hydrogel Shows Unprecedented Stretchability, 3D-Printing Capabilityon May 11, 2022 at 5:00 pm
One challenge to ... processing-based 3D printing. This enables the fabrication of hydrogel structures with complex geometries that can be applied to biomedical applications and flexible electronics. ...
- Biden plugs manufacturing initiative at Ohio metal companyon May 6, 2022 at 12:41 pm
GE Aviation and Raytheon set a goal of looking to small and medium firms for 50% of their requests for quotes for products requiring 3D printing or ... to climate change; $3 billion for facilities ...
- 3D Printer Market: Global Industry Could Hit New Highs, Says Allied Market Researchon May 6, 2022 at 5:16 am
D printing technology has been adopted by medical professionals to create tissues, prosthetics, and medical implants. End-user verticals depending on the ...
- Biden plugs manufacturing initiative at Ohio metal companyon May 6, 2022 at 3:20 am
Biden went to United Performance Metals in Hamilton to highlight commitments by five leading U.S. manufacturers to boost their reliance on small and medium American firms for 3D printing.
- 3 Big Companies on the Cutting Edgeon April 28, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The challenge for ... “We don’t own GE—too much financial services,” says Wood. But she’s watching the company—in particular, GE’s use of 3D printing in its manufacturing processes.
- Three Areas Holding Back The $10.6B 3D Printing Industryon April 25, 2022 at 2:24 pm
Now, a handful of startups have emerged to take on the challenge of developing ... As companies as large as Ford, GE, and Siemens look to 3D printing to produce quality end parts, they are driving ...
- WATCH: GE unveils new R&D facility in Bergenon April 21, 2022 at 9:19 pm
BERGEN — The research and development facility GE Renewable Energy has and the 3D printer in the facility will eventually help wind farms by printing ... “To rise to the challenge posed ...
- GE Renewable Energy inaugurates 3D printing facility that will research more efficient ways to produce towers for wind turbineson April 21, 2022 at 3:48 pm
A team of 20 people will continue to work on optimizing the 3D printing technology with first applications in the field anticipated within the next five years. GE Renewable Energy Chief Technology ...
- The Resurgence of 3D Printers in Modern Learning Environmentson June 10, 2019 at 9:11 am
The benefits of 3D printing for students — engagement, deeper learning and the strengthening of workforce skills — are vast. The challenge of implementing the technology can sometimes seem even ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
GE 3-D Printing Challenge
The Latest Bing News on:
- Prime Video: The 46 Best TV Shows to Watchon May 18, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Paddy Considine (who now has a gig on the Game of Thrones prequel) stars as DS Gabe Waters, a counterterrorism officer tasked with infiltrating a far-right movement in West Yorkshire ... a bear," one ...
- Apple postpones final phase of 3-days-a-week return to officeon May 18, 2022 at 6:21 am
Apple Inc. is delaying the final phase of its return-to-office plan. The iPhone maker told employees in a May 17 memo it's postponing indefinitely its plan to have them in the office three days a week ...
- Kickstart: Epsilyte's Crocker wins first Carteaux awardon May 18, 2022 at 5:48 am
Brad Crocker, the CEO of materials maker Epsilyte LLC, has been awarded the inaugural ... but now it sees something closer to sideways movement or very modest growth. Our story noted that things ...
- Apple delays final phase of its 3-days-a-week return-to-work planon May 18, 2022 at 3:00 am
Citing Covid-19 concerns, the iPhone maker is delaying its plan to have employees be in the office three days a week.
- Clog maker defies the timeson May 17, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Age and the Covid-19 pandemic have not stopped Tan Yang Ling from producing clogs from his humble workshop in Jalan Danby here.
- Entrepreneurship at Scale with Zhang Ruiminon May 17, 2022 at 11:30 am
Zhang Ruimin is the founder and Chairman Emeritus of the Haier Group, the world’s largest appliance maker. During his 37-year tenure as Haier CEO, Zhang architected one of the world’s most radical ...
- Wikihouse: The Latest Architecture and Newson May 1, 2022 at 5:01 pm
and new technologies sparking the “maker movement,” the focus has shifted away from providing people with the materials to construct a fixed design, and towards improving access to ...
- The UK's maker movement has a new home by the Thameson April 27, 2022 at 5:00 pm
access to tools and funding resources could make this corner of London an exciting addition to the UK's maker movement. The team behind Cromatica, for example, didn't develop their product from ...
- The Best Maker School List 2021on August 3, 2021 at 5:11 am
The maker movement and its do-it-yourself ethic has come to higher education. For years now, empowered by the internet, inventors, artisans, tinkerers and hackers of all descriptions have been ...
- Free Culture and Free and Open Source Computing Immersionon May 26, 2021 at 7:13 am
The Open Hardware of the Raspberry Pi and Arduino board drive the maker movement and interactive arts. In the free culture and free and open source computing immersion, you'll will take one course in ...