“Identification of a Series of Compounds with Potent Antiviral Activity for the Treatment of Enterovirus Infections”
Scientists are reporting progress in the search for the first broad-spectrum drugs to combat human rhinoviruses (HRVs), which cause humanity’s most common infectious diseases. Their study on these potential drugs for infections that include the common cold appears in the journal ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters.
Angus MacLeod and colleagues note that although many HRV infections cause mild disease, they can lead to dangerous complications for millions of people with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Previous potential drugs for HRV either didn’t work or caused unacceptable side effects, leaving only one potential drug still under development in clinical trials. MacLeod’s team set out to find new antiviral candidates to meet this serious health challenge.
They describe identifying and successfully testing a group of compounds that work against human rhinovirus, Coxsackie virus, poliovirus and enterovirus-71 — the cause of hand, foot and mouth disease. The substances work by blocking the ability of these viruses to multiply.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Influenza Antiviral Drugs Market is Booming worldwide | Major Players, Growing Demands, Emerging Trends, Future Growth by 2028on September 22, 2022 at 4:37 am
A cost-effective market report that deliver top-notch insights into the Industrial Influenza Antiviral Drugs market.
- Direct-acting Antiviral Drugs Market is in Huge Demand | Global Growth, Historic Analysis, Future Trends, Growth Opportunity and Forecast till 2028on September 22, 2022 at 4:37 am
The latest report published by expert with the title “An increase in demand and Opportunities for Global Direct-acting Antiviral Drugs Market 2022” provides a sorted image of the Direct-acting ...
- FDA Warns Monkeypox Could Mutate and Resist Treatment If Antiviral Drug Is Overusedon September 20, 2022 at 4:31 pm
The call to scale back Tpoxx’s use follows weeks of criticism from HIV advocates and other patient groups who have urged the Biden administration to make the antiviral drug more widely available.
- FDA warns that monkeypox could mutate and become resistant to the antiviral drug Tpoxxon September 20, 2022 at 6:06 am
Doctors advised to be ‘judicious’ in prescribing the drug so that overuse doesn’t contribute to dangerous viral mutation.
- Health Officials Warn Monkeypox Could Mutate to Resist Antiviral Drugon September 19, 2022 at 10:31 pm
Health officials have sounded the alarm that overusing the only antiviral drug available to treat monkeypox could potentially render the pills ineffective due to mutations in the virus ...
- Can you combine Paxlovid with other COVID-19 drugs? FDA says no, for someon September 16, 2022 at 11:06 am
After being infected by the Delta variant, some were given both Paxlovid and Lagevrio — the COVID-19 antiviral drug produced by Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics. Animals who got both ...
- Can you combine Paxlovid with other COVID-19 drugs?on September 16, 2022 at 10:37 am
In an animal study, federal scientists found that combining Paxlovid and the antiviral Lagevrio could be safe and more effective.
- US warns monkeypox could mutate to resist antiviral drugon September 16, 2022 at 1:04 am
The moves to scale back Tpoxx’s use follow weeks of criticism from HIV advocates and other patient groups who have urged the Biden administration to make the antiviral drug more widely available.
- FDA warns monkeypox could mutate if antiviral drug is overusedon September 14, 2022 at 10:11 am
The monkeypox virus is only one mutation away from evading a key antiviral drug being used to treat at-risk patients, federal health officials are now warning — and they're urging doctors to be ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Kids are pouring into N.J. hospitals. A spate of respiratory illness is filling pediatric beds.on September 22, 2022 at 3:44 pm
Or even influenza. An outbreak of viral respiratory infections is sending children to emergency rooms throughout the state. The biggest culprits are enterovirus and rhinovirus as well as a few ...
- 4 things to know about enterovirus D68on September 20, 2022 at 2:14 pm
Earlier this month, the CDC said hospitals through July and August had detected the largest number of infections caused by enterovirus D68 since 2018. A CDC spokesperson told The New York Times that ...
- What Parents Should Know About Enterovirus & the CDC's Concerns About Respiratory Illness Hospitalizing Kidson September 16, 2022 at 2:53 pm
In July and August of this year, medical professionals in the United States saw an increase in infections caused by enterovirus D68 and EV-D68. Both of which cause mild, cold-like symptoms that ...
- What Parents Should Know About the Latest Enterovirus Spikeon September 16, 2022 at 6:48 am
In July and August, hospitals and medical professionals in several parts of the United States reported an increase in infections caused by enterovirus D68, or EV-D68, which often causes mild ...
- CDC Warns About Rhinovirus and Enterovirus-D68: What to Knowon September 15, 2022 at 9:18 am
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently issued a health alert for clinicians regarding a common respiratory illness, called enterovirus D68, that can cause an uncommon type ...
- How To Reduce Your Child’s Risk Of The Enterovirus Infection (EV-D68) That Is Causing Paralysison September 14, 2022 at 2:24 pm
and/or enterovirus (EV). The two viruses can have similar symptoms. Commonly used lab tests may not be able to tell the two infections apart; specialized tests are required. Further testing has ...
- CDC warns about enterovirus in kids — and the risk of rare paralysis that can followon September 12, 2022 at 2:57 pm
In July and August, the CDC says hospitals detected an increase in infections caused by enterovirus D68. The number is now the biggest seen since 2018, when the agency tracked the last wave of ...