While rainforests cover less than 2% of the Earth’s surface, it is estimated that they are home to half of the world’s animal and plant species.
Unfortunately, in places like Indonesia which has the world’s third largest rainforest, illegal logging and deforestation causes the loss of millions of hectares.
Part of the problem is that adequately monitoring millions of acres of forest is nearly impossible for the handful of rangers assigned to the area – until now.
Topher White, the founder of the conservation non-profit Rainforest Connection, has a plan that would alert forest rangers of illegal logging through old Android smartphones. The pilot project, which is set to be tested in the Air Tarusan reserve in Sumatra, uses modified smartphones to identify and record the sound-signatures of chainsaws.
The solar-powered phones will be hung from trees in the rainforest and have their microphones on at all times. When the software detects the audio signature of a chainsaw it will send an alert to rangers with the location of the illegal logging. The phones will have a range of half a kilometer, with the aim to use phones donated by group members and supporters.
While initially only forest rangers will receive alerts, White hopes to release a free app on a larger scale that would “make people feel like they are taking part in the dramatic events on the front lines of environmental protection.” Additionally, White hopes to make the phone placement and alert system a locally driven initiative to involve the community nearest to the destruction.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Criminal Groups Clear Colombia’s Forests One Hectare at a Timeon March 3, 2021 at 6:07 am
Illegal loggers and land grabbers in Colombia have begun clearing small, isolated patches of forest to avoid being spotted from the air — a change in tactics that could make it harder for authorities ...
- Cambodian govt rejects Amnesty International logging claimson February 28, 2021 at 9:45 pm
The Ministry of Environment has rejected reports by Amnesty International and the Prey Lang Community Network (PLCN) that large-scale illegal logging has increased in Prey Lang Wildlife Sanctuary ...
- 18 illegal logging cases reported in Aqaba in 2020on February 27, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Aqaba agriculture department personnel have reported 18 illegal logging cases during the period between in 2020. Jamal Oran, the department’s head, on Saturday highlighted the departments’ ongoing ...
- Monarch butterfly numbers down 26%; climate change, logging blamedon February 26, 2021 at 11:29 am
Illegal logging and climate change contributed to a 26% reduction in the number of monarch butterflies overwintering in Mexico in 2020-2021.
- Ecija illegal logging task force foils “water-logging”on February 25, 2021 at 9:25 pm
A joint government anti-illegal logging task force intercepted several pieces of illegally-sawn lumber that were found abandoned ...
- Cambodia: Widespread illegal logging in Prey Lang rainforest amid ban on community patrolson February 24, 2021 at 4:41 pm
We are Amnesty International UK. We are ordinary people from across the world standing up for humanity and human rights.
- EU and Honduras sign agreement to reduce illegal timber loggingon February 23, 2021 at 10:56 am
Today, the EU and Republic of Honduras signed in Brussels a voluntary partnership agreement (VPA) on forest law enforcement, governance and trade in timber products to the EU. The agreement will ...
- Dept to buy more firearms to check illegal loggingon February 22, 2021 at 4:35 pm
THE Kelantan Forestry Department plans to buy more firearms to boost enforcement efforts against illegal logging ...
- Alleged illegal logger killed by a falling tree in Thai foreston February 22, 2021 at 1:12 am
A 41-year-old alleged illegal logger was killed when a tree his gang was cutting in Nakhon Ratchasima province fell on him.Wang Nam Khiao Forest Protection Unit were alerted on Sunday to illegal ...
- Alleged illegal logger killed by a falling tree in Nakhon Ratchasima foreston February 21, 2021 at 7:22 pm
A 41-year-old alleged illegal logger was killed when a tree his gang was cutting in Nakhon Ratchasima province fell on him.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Ashley Judd's Sister Wynonna Says Actress' Recovery from Rainforest Fall Is a 'Miracle'on March 3, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Ashley Judd is on the mend. The actress' older sister, Wynonna Judd, shared an update on her recovery following a terrifying accident in the Congo region of Africa in February.Ashely was rushed to a ...
- Indigenous Amazonians sue retailer Casino over rainforest destructionon March 3, 2021 at 12:49 pm
Indigenous people from Brazil and Colombia sued retailer Casino in a French court on Wednesday over the selling of beef linked to land grabbing and deforestation in the Amazon, campaigners involved in ...
- Photos: Rainforest at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo reopens with new dome, animalson March 2, 2021 at 2:00 pm
The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo’s Rainforest, with its toasty warm tropical weather, reopened Tuesday after nearly one year due to construction and COVID-19 restrictions. The Rainforest originally was ...
- An Eco-conscious Museum Will Sprout From a Logged Rainforest in Mexicoon March 1, 2021 at 10:41 am
The museum, built in the form of a reinvented stepped pyramid, will be located on an expanse of cleared forest, previously stripped bare by illegal logging.
- Puerto Rico Seeks Partner to Develop Space Port Near Rainforeston March 1, 2021 at 6:39 am
Puerto Rico -- the U.S. territory known for its sandy beaches and record-setting bankruptcy -- wants to become a player in the space race.
- Noname’s Voice Remains Singular on ‘Rainforest’on February 26, 2021 at 2:58 pm
Now, there’s nothing getting in the way of Noname’s message on her first song of 2021, “Rainforest.” It’s one of Noname’s most explicit political statements yet, especially potent in a second verse ...
- Noname’s ‘Rainforest’ Is Revolutionary Music You Can Dance Toon February 26, 2021 at 9:02 am
Noname’s cerebral output usually speaks for itself; in pre-pandemic times, she sold out intimate tours and made the bill at huge festivals. “Rainforest” enters the conversation with swirly bars on ...
- Noname Shares New Single "Rainforest" feat. Adam Nesson February 26, 2021 at 8:22 am
Rainforest” has a danceable beat and features Warner’s frequent collaborator, Adam Ness. The singer previously offered vocals on “Prayer Song” and “no name” off Room 25. Warner, who is known for her ...
- Noname Shares New Song “RAINFOREST”: Listenon February 26, 2021 at 12:56 am
Noname has shared her first new song of the year, “RAINFOREST.” The Kount produced the track, which has vocals from Adam Ness. Hear “RAINFOREST” below. Noname’s next album, titled Factory Baby, is ...
- Noname Drops New Song "Rainforest"on February 26, 2021 at 12:43 am
A new album, Noname's first since 'Room 25' back in 2018, is expected to be released later this year. On Friday, Noname linked with Adam Ness for a new track.