An idled program for vehicles driven by fuel cells is gaining new impetus from new programs at the U.S. Department of Energy
In its push for putting zero-emission cars on the road, the Department of Energy is launching new programs to study the infrastructure needed to run vehicles on hydrogen.
“Recently, there’s a renewed focus on getting these technologies out on the road and into the hands of consumers,” said Daniel Dedrick, hydrogen and fuel cell program manager at Sandia National Laboratories.
Last week, Sandia signed a five-year memorandum of understanding with private research firm SRI International to collaborate on testing alternative fuels like natural gas and hydrogen in vehicles, breaking ground on a new testing facility called the Center for Infrastructure Research and Innovation (CIRI).
Two weeks earlier, DOE announced a public-private program called H2USA aimed at getting government researchers to work with automakers to bring cheap hydrogen to the masses.
Though battery-electric cars have lately driven fuel cells out of the spotlight, some technical advances in these systems have drawn more attention from manufactures like Ford and General Motors. “We’ve reduced the costs of fuel cells by more than 80 percent in the past decade,” said Sunita Satyapal, director of the fuel cell technologies office in the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Office at DOE.
Much of the cost savings came from using less platinum, a precious metal catalyst that helps pull electrons off hydrogen gas to generate an electric current. Current fuel cell designs use one-fifth of the platinum needed in their predecessors.
How do you deliver hydrogen?
On the fuel side, the boom in cheap natural gas has lowered the cost of hydrogen. Methane, the major component of natural gas, can form hydrogen via a process called steam reforming. “With natural gas, hydrogen can be competitive with gasoline,” Satyapal said.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Union Minister Hardeep S Puri to flag off India's first green hydrogen fuel cell buson September 23, 2023 at 4:19 am
Green Hydrogen, produced using renewable energy sources, holds the potential to play a pivotal role in low-carbon and self-reliant economic pathways, read the Ministry Petroleum and Natural Gas press ...
- India's 1st green hydrogen fuel cell public bus to run from Monday at Kartavya Pathon September 23, 2023 at 1:15 am
Union Minister to flag off 1st Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bus in Delhi. IndianOil conducting trials of 15 fuel cell buses.
- India's First Hydrogen-Powered Fuel Cell Bus To Run From September 25on September 23, 2023 at 1:07 am
In a significant stride toward sustainable transportation, India is set to unveil its first hydrogen-powered fuel cell bus on September 25, with Unio ...
- Examining how cathode catalyst layer platinum loading affects the durability of proton exchange membrane fuel cellson September 22, 2023 at 10:46 am
Proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs) hold promise as a replacement for fossil fueled engines in heavy-duty vehicles. Reducing the platinum content in catalysts is pivotal for scaling up in ...
- Volvo’s fuel cell truck advances but battery-electric is biggest pushon September 22, 2023 at 3:59 am
Volvo Group had scant interest in producing fuel cell trucks five years ago. Now they play a role in the pursuit of zero-emissions trucking.
- hydrogen fuel cellon September 21, 2023 at 5:00 pm
According to [Charles Q. Choi], a new study indicates that grooves in the hydrogen fuel cells used to power vehicles can improve their performance by up to 50%. Fuel cells are like batteries ...
- Bosch Ramps Up Fuel Cell Production and Recycling Effortson September 21, 2023 at 2:06 pm
Bosch, which has major operation in Farmington Hills, announced fuel cell power module in full production is preparing for recycling plan.
- Largest Ever Hydrogen Fuel Cell Plane Takes Flighton September 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The company has been developing flight-ready fuel cells for this exact purpose, and has begun test flights towards that very goal. It’s only recently that battery technology has advanced enough ...
- 6 Ways to Invest in Hydrogen Fuel Cells: 4 Are Worth A Nibbleon September 13, 2023 at 4:10 am
Hydrogen fuel cells are a big business. Hydrogen is widely viewed as necessary to decarbonize the planet, and the race is on to dominate the market. The question is not if we can make enough hydrogen ...
- New ionic materials boost hydrogen fuel cell efficiencyon September 11, 2023 at 8:51 am
A team of researchers, affiliated with UNIST has made a groundbreaking advancement in improving the efficiency of hydrogen fuel cells, which are gaining significant attention as eco-friendly ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”fuel cells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Philadelphia Eagles unveil ‘kelly green’ hydrogen fueling stationon September 22, 2023 at 4:42 pm
A new hydrogen fueling station at the Linc uses water and solar power to produce clean hydrogen for fuel cell vehicles.
- Trucking's hydrogen future nears reality overseason September 22, 2023 at 7:23 am
In Germany and elsewhere in Europe, dozens of hydrogen refueling stations are coming online, supporting municipal fuel-cell fleets, passenger cars, and emerging FCEV trucks, ...
- Hyundai N Are Finally Doing Something With That Retro-Futuristic EV Sports Caron September 22, 2023 at 7:21 am
The company has filed a trademark for the name 'N74', hinting at a production version of the throwback N Vision 74 concept ...
- Boyle Heights' Los STEMateros Places 13 in World Finals at Hydrogen Grand Prix Competitionon September 22, 2023 at 5:55 am
Students from Boyle Heights S.T.E.M. Magnet High School Beat Hundreds of Teams to Compete in Largest Hydrogen Competition in the World in Las ...
- Man Converts His Gas Car to Hydrogen and Claims To Save 56% On Gason September 22, 2023 at 5:46 am
It’s easy to get mad about gas prices, especially when they’re soaring higher each day that passes. Most of us suck it up and pay the bill, but some people have resorted to extreme measures to avoid ...
- Not Tesla But 500 Hydrogen Powered Toyota Cars Will Ply In Official Feet For 2024 Paris Olympics & Paralympicson September 22, 2023 at 12:54 am
Japanese carmaker Toyota has revealed that it will be supplying Paris with 500 units of Mirai, which is a hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle and has zero tailpipe emissions. Toyota shares the ...
- Why liquid hydrogen could head off-road before fuelling passenger carson September 21, 2023 at 8:47 am
Toyota took the technology back to the track with its liquid-hydrogen-powered Corolla at the Super Taikyu Fuji 24 Hours Race in Japan in May. It was the first time in the world that a vehicle had been ...
- The Global Hydrogen Fuel Cells Market Size Is Expected To Reach $32.6 Billion, Driven by Electric Vehicle Demand - By The Business Research Companyon September 21, 2023 at 8:45 am
As per The Business Research Company's Hydrogen Fuel Cells Global Market Report 2023, the global hydrogen fuel cells market has experienced an extraordinary growth trajectory, with the market size ...
- I Rode in the Hydrogen Lexus UTV, and It’s a Rioton September 20, 2023 at 12:00 pm
If more off-roaders got the chance to experience a hydrogen-burning side-by-side like this, demand just might soar. But it (probably) won't happen.
- Should Irish cars go electric or hydrogen?on September 19, 2023 at 4:35 am
While hydrogen fuel vehicles have several advantages, they face the same problems as electric cars with charging infrastructure ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Hydrogen Car” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]