Founders of successful companies tend to exhibit personality traits that make them more socially engaging, creative and able to handle stress than non-entrepreneurs, according to new research from the University of Jena in Germany and The University of Texas at Austin.
Jena researchers Martin Obschonka, Eva Schmitt-Rodermund and Rainer K. Silbereisen, along with UT Austin Professor of Psychology Samuel Gosling, mapped the entrepreneurial personality structures in the United States, Great Britain and Germany, identifying regions where a feeling of entrepreneurial spirit is “most at home.” The research will be published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
The team analyzed the personalities of more than 500,000 U.S. citizens, in addition to approximately 20,000 German and 15,000 British citizens. The psychologists correlated their findings with economic data derived from various regions within each country.
In the U.S., entrepreneurial spirit — associated with personality characteristics such as being socially engaging, responsible, creative, able to handle stress, and at times uncompromising — was high in western states such as Colorado and Utah, and low in Rust Belt states such as Michigan and in Deep South states such as Mississippi. Researchers found substantial correlations between the geographic distribution of the entrepreneurial personality structure and the regional distribution of actual entrepreneurial activity, such as the number of startup businesses in a region.
The psychologists found similar results in Germany and Great Britain. Although there are no firm conclusions regarding the causes of these regional differences, one possible explanation might be found in the socialization processes within the regions, where prevalent “entrepreneurial values” are conveyed through parenting or social institutions.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Influencer-Entrepreneur Natalie Noel Tapped For This Year’s ‘Sports Illustrated Swimsuit’ Issueon March 4, 2021 at 1:01 pm
Natalie 'Noel' Mariduena, a longtime friend-turned-business associate of YouTube megastar David Dobrik, has been tapped to appear in the iconic Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. Mariduena, 24, shared ...
- How China's Massive Corruption Crackdown Snares Entrepreneurs Across The Countryon March 4, 2021 at 9:55 am
Chinese officials boast their campaign against "evil" has busted over 50,000 supposed criminal organizations, but experts warn it has served another function: consolidating power.
- New Contest And Business Opportunity For Norwalk Entrepreneurson March 3, 2021 at 10:59 pm
Entrepreneurs can pitch their business concept and be entered to win free commercial pop-up space on Washington Street.
- TYLER BRAY, LEADING ONLINE ENTREPRENEUR, FOUNDER OF TK TRAILER PARTS, ZOOM INTERVIEWED BY DOTCOM MAGAZINEon March 3, 2021 at 7:09 pm
TYLER BRAY, LEADING ONLINE ENTREPRENEUR, FOUNDER OF TK TRAILER PARTS, ZOOM INTERVIEWED BY DOTCOM MAGAZINE Tyler Bray Interviewed by DotCom Magazine for The Entrepreneur Spotlight Video Interview ...
- Worldwise: Actor and Spirits Entrepreneur Justin Hartley’s Favorite Thingson March 3, 2021 at 4:54 pm
The first step of actor Justin Hartley’s journey to becoming an agave spirit entrepreneur started with a case of mistaken identity. Hartley, 44, ...
- Rise of Women Entrepreneurson March 1, 2021 at 8:55 pm
Below are some women entrepreneurs who have not only proved their metal in leading from the front but also inspired many women across globe to tread the path and emerge as dynamic women entrepreneur.
- Tomaso Rodriguez: How talabat can help you find the entrepreneurial spirit in COVID-19on March 1, 2021 at 5:40 am
Last week, I had the privilege and opportunity to deliver a keynote speech at Gulfood, where I spoke about how talabat can help restaurateurs become better entrepreneurs. I also spoke about what keeps ...
- The Top U30 Female Entrepreneurs To Look Out for in 2021on February 26, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Two Comma PR Top 10 U/30 Female Entrepreneurs London, United Kingdom, Feb. 26, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The world of business has changed dramatically over the past decade - with less barriers to ...
- 50 Companies Founded by Black Entrepreneurson February 26, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Black-owned businesses in the U.S. today account for billions in revenue and employ thousands of people. These are 50 companies founded and run by Black entrepreneurs.
- Patricia Armendariz will invest in three entrepreneurs, you can be one of themon February 26, 2021 at 3:32 pm
With the Woman Emprende 2021 contest, the investor intends to promote the female entrepreneurial spirit. The deadline to send your project is March 7.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Entrepreneurial Spirit Map
- How EWOR Created a Formula for Disruptive Innovationon March 4, 2021 at 5:34 am
The concept,” their founder Daniel Dippold explains, “is uniquely designed to help corporations realize disruptive innovation and individuals to start ...
- Rise of Women Entrepreneurson March 1, 2021 at 10:07 pm
I wanted to provide Indian women with a brand that celebrates their free spirit and beauty with products ... said the biggest challenge as women entrepreneur was and continues to be the changing ...
- Wrangler® Announces Georgia May Jagger as the Face of Its Heritage Women’s Denim Collectionon March 1, 2021 at 6:55 am
"Georgia May Jagger’s entrepreneurial spirit and swagger personifies how ... "Wrangler is one of the original denim brands that’s been on the map for decades. Their authentic heritage and ...
- Women money managers: Sapna Narang on the need for forging long-term relationships between investors and advisorson February 28, 2021 at 8:13 pm
But Narang’s entrepreneurial spirit was kindled sometime during her ... But Narang says that “excel sheets and financial ratios to map the risk-reward ratios are only a part of the job.
- The positively rich in spirit Cecil Fosteron February 28, 2021 at 2:39 am
Q10. What one thing is always in your possession and why? FOSTER: I always carry a positive spirit because I see every day as a great opportunity to become better. Q10. If you had a chance for a ...
- 20 Woman-Owned Businesses to Support on International Women's Day (and Beyond!)on February 27, 2021 at 4:26 am
From dairy-free ice cream to stunning jewelry collections, to private online communities and healthy meal subscription services, the following women have embraced the entrepreneurial spirit in a ...
- Local entrepreneur transforms lives through transformation of selfon February 25, 2021 at 3:34 pm
The 42-year-old embodies a jack-of-all trades spirit as an entrepreneur, instructor at the Plush Kutz Barber College in Hickory, certified personal trainer, and community organizer. "I just have ...
- Liam and Kim Dolan honoured for P.E.I. tourism entrepreneurshipon February 25, 2021 at 1:45 pm
The award will be given to the Dolans March 24 at a ceremony for the chamber's Excellence Awards, and recognizes the couple's accomplishments and entrepreneurial spirit. "Liam and Kim embrace the ...
- 10 Biggest Challenges Small Business Owners Face Right Nowon February 24, 2021 at 10:25 pm
The small business, in my opinion, is what makes America great. It is not only the entrepreneurial spirit that thrives here, but the ability to make the dream a reality. What was once a sketch on ...
- The 2021 Global Good Fund Social Entrepreneur Fellows are Changing the Worldon February 24, 2021 at 7:15 pm
"We need dynamic, creative, and persistent social entrepreneurs to solve the world's most urgent problems, and our 2021 fellowship class embodies this spirit," said Carrie Rich, co-founder and CEO ...