With prefabricated houses, the dream of having one’s own home can quickly become a reality.
Until now, nails have been used to hold the individual components together. Now an adhesive tape has been developed to perform this task.
A finished house stands on what just a few days ago was an empty green field. Such a feat is possible thanks to components that are industrially prefabricated in a manufacturing plant for finished parts and then simply need to be assembled on the building site – “prefabricated houses” in other words. The individual wall, ceiling, and roof components are usually made of wood. First, the manufacturers make a frame structure out of squared timber in the plant, onto which they then fit boards made of timber derived materials. Nails and staples hold the structure securely together. However, several considerations must be factored in: the squared timber must not be too narrow, else the nails and staples can break out; also, wherever boards meet, there has to be a rib to which the manufacturer can attach the boards.
If it were possible to stick these boards and the other timber parts together using adhesive, it would give the building planners a lot more flexibility in component design. Although there are some companies currently using liquid adhesives in construction, this manufacturing technique has not yet become widespread. This is because the process has some drawbacks: for the liquid adhesive to set, you either have to heat the entire board including squared timber or else wait several hours – a time-consuming business that does not fit easily into industrial production processes.
Quick-setting adhesive tape
Researchers from the Fraunhofer Institute for Wood Research, Wilhelm-Klauditz-Institut, WKI in Braunschweig have come up with an alternative together with their colleagues from the Institute of Joining and Welding at the Technische Universität Braunschweig. “We’ve developed an adhesive tape that sets in under a minute to reliably and durably bond together the individual components,” says Dr. Andreas Zillessen, a scientist at the WKI. “The adhesive sets at the push of a button, so to speak. This means that when we apply the adhesive tape when assembling components, we can wait as long as we like without the adhesive drying out, as other kinds of adhesive would.”
The secret is inside the material itself: unlike ordinary adhesive tape, it does not consist merely of a backing material and adhesive – it also has its own “heating system”. This is a metal strip that is coated with adhesive on both sides. If you want to stick together two strips of wood, you place the adhesive tape in the right position, put the strips of wood in place, and then let an electrical current flow through the metal strip. The metal heats up, and the adhesive melts and binds to the wood. First the adhesive is turned liquid by the heat so that it gets into the pores in the wood; then it sets very quickly once it cools. “At present, the gluing and setting combined take around a minute, but over the long term we want to make these processes significantly shorter,” explains Zillessen.
The challenge for the researchers lies not only in finding the ideal adhesive and the most suitable metal strip, but above all in optimizing the interaction of the three components. After all, the adhesive has to stick to the wood as well as to the metal. “As the adhesive tape is designed to be used primarily for load-bearing bonding in buildings, it has to possess structural strength and durable adhesive qualities,” says Zillessen.
The Latest Bing News on:
Prefab houses that are glued
- Watches and Wonders 2021: the best watches announced so faron April 8, 2021 at 2:32 am
Instead of journalists and watch enthusiasts flocking to a usually-sleepy corner of Switzerland for the largest and most impressive watch show in the world, this year we're all glued to our ...
- Indian Plywood Market Report 2021; Industry Share, Trends, Drivers, Growth, Opportunities and Competitive Outlook Forecast to 2026on April 7, 2021 at 6:11 am
Plywood is manufactured by assembling strong, thin layers of wood veneers glued and pressed together using powerful ... the growing number of construction activities and the expanding home furnishing ...
- Sustainability and digitization hold the key to long-term value for family businesseson April 5, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Though resilient in a crisis, family businesses have not fully embraced the ESG agenda or digital transformation, according to a new survey.
- Prada, other fashion designers to make coronavirus face masks due to scarcity and high demand globallyon April 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
An Italian luxury fashion house, Prada will make also 110,000 masks and 80,000 overalls by April 6, which will be manufactured in ... here for the past 24 hours, glued to my machine in hopes ...
- Building A New RF Remote From Scratchon April 3, 2021 at 5:00 pm
If your device has an existing remote, integrating it into a custom home automation system is often just a matter of getting a few cheap modular components and writing some simple code to glue it ...
- BIM and Digital Design: A Closer Look at How Mass Timber goes from Factory to Building Siteon April 1, 2021 at 2:00 am
Manufacturing of CLT panels, glulam beams and steel connectors for Brock Commons Tallwood House by Structurlam/Monashee ... timber using products like cross-laminated timber (CLT) or glue-laminated ...
- A special focus on Glulam based applications with Canadian Wood in Indiaon March 31, 2021 at 9:34 am
The Club House displayed on the FII booth at Indiawood, 2018 employed finger jointed, edge glued and laminated construction, well-suited to Indian weather conditions. A full-size, modular ...
- My Laminate Flooring Has Lifted in the Middleon March 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm
It has the look of hardwood flooring at a fraction of the cost, and the modular construction makes ... can cause the problem. In a glue-down installation, the glue itself can fail, causing the ...
- Modular Storage With Peanut Butter And Laserson March 28, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Modular parts that need to go together a certain ... but nothing to beat the coroplast box in terms of strength. Even a thoroughly-glued box made from 1/4″ plywood breaks apart when you try ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Prefab houses that are glued
The Latest Bing News on:
- Stocky modular buildings are popping up in East Bay. They look surprisingly goodon April 10, 2021 at 9:03 am
Modular construction has been touted for years as a way to ... As street trees mature, and the storefronts fill, the brash newcomer will settle in. The complex in-house design added to the costs, no ...
- McGrath RentCorp Acquires Modular Kitchen Rental Companyon April 9, 2021 at 5:01 pm
LIVERMORE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--McGrath RentCorp today announced it has acquired Kitchens To Go, a leader in both interim and permanent modular solutions for foodservice providers that require ...
- £9.8m project to deliver Scotland’s largest social modular housing schemeon April 7, 2021 at 3:22 am
Irvine Housing Association and Connect Modular are set to deliver Scotland’s largest social modular housing development in South Ayrshire ...
- Company opens modular home manufacturing facility to meet 'huge demand'on April 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
A local company is addressing the city’s affordable housing crisis one modular home at a time. We apologize, but this video has failed to load. Try refreshing your browser. ANC, which is based in ...
- 7 award-winning modular projectson April 5, 2021 at 7:51 am
From a pediatric hospital wing to a marijuana dispensary, these factory-built facilities earned honors from the Modular Building Institute.
- The World's Most Powerful Modular Roboton April 5, 2021 at 7:12 am
Umbratek, a cutting-edge new robotic tech startup, has just released its first robotic arm series called the UTRA series on Kickstarter.
- At 2.9% CAGR, Modular Homes Market Size Set to Register 52100 million USD by 2025on April 4, 2021 at 11:21 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, Market Study Report LLC: The Report 2020-2025 Global Modular Homes Market Report explores ...
- Developers Still Reluctant To Go Whole-Hog With Modular Constructionon April 1, 2021 at 6:59 pm
As a cost- and time-saving technique, modular construction has long had a great future ahead of it. Arguably, it still does, with off-site manufacturing of essential building components a useful ...
- Can Modular Homes Help Solve America’s Housing Crisis?on April 1, 2021 at 7:56 am
While praised as a land of opportunity, the United States has a number of problems it needs to fix, one of which is a growing housing crisis.
- Lustron prefab house found home in Jamestownon March 31, 2021 at 5:00 am
Each had feature stories about the very modern all-metal, prefabricated house that, like the Usonian concept, was meant to allow people to build one of several designs using nuts and bolts and be able ...