A team of Chinese scientists evaluates the impact of a website based on the interaction between its users with the entire Web
A new study shows that small websites, in terms of daily user flux based on number of clicks, have a disproportionally high impact when it comes to traffic generation and influence compared to larger websites. These findings, about to be published in EPJ B, have implications for estimating the value of sites and related advertising revenue. They result from the work of Lingfei Wu from the City University of Hong Kong and Jiang Zhang from the School of Management, at Beijing Normal University, China.
Previous studies have analysed hyperlinks, while individual browsing records provide insight for understanding local surfing behaviour. However, they fail to provide information on more internet-wide collective browsing behaviour. Hence, to understand the complex interactions between websites, it is necessary to analyse the transportation of traffic, referred to as the flow of clickstreams between websites.
In this study, the authors analyse the clickstream networks composed of the 1,000 most popular websites. They rely on models of clickstream networks based on so-called Markov matrices. They then validate their findings through network flow analysis, tracking users’ movement.
Wu and Zhang found that the accessibility of websites in the clickstream network increases more slowly than the level of traffic for the sites studied. Unlike previously thought, this study based on clickstreams reveals that the web is not solely dominated by a few hubs. And relatively small sites have a greater chance of acquiring popularity than larger ones.
The Latest Bing News on:
Predicting collective online behaviour
- Drama of 2023 electioneeringon September 17, 2022 at 6:32 am
Collective attention is currently focused ... voting may not be influenced by these factors in many constituencies. Voters’ behaviour across the six regions is not likely to be the same due ...
- Rice University: Interwoven- Charge and magnetism intertwine in kagome materialon September 14, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Physicists have discovered a material in which atoms are arranged in a way that so frustrates the movement of electrons that they engage in a collective dance where their electronic and magnetic natur ...
- Interwoven: Charge and magnetism intertwine in kagome materialon September 13, 2022 at 5:00 pm
You can even predict the topology ... and silver spheres), giving rise to collective behavior like the charge density wave. (Illustration courtesy of Jiaxin Yin, Ming Yi and Pengcheng Dai.) This ...
- New Emini Indicator Predicts the Futureon September 5, 2022 at 6:09 pm
Imagine if they were trying to predict the collective behavior of 10,000 imperfect strangers ... Test drive our online platform and proprietary Indicators for a full week. These virtual classes ...
- Sue de Groot reviews Jennifer Egan's 'The Candy House'on August 28, 2022 at 1:20 am
In an interview at the Mississippi book festival earlier this month, Egan said: “I was in my 30s before I ever got online ... creating algorithms for predicting behaviour”.
- How To Start Investing In Stocks In 2022on August 20, 2022 at 2:13 pm
The stock market is made up of two main exchanges, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the Nasdaq, which trade stocks online ... behavior. In fact, technical analysts believe that the ...
- Insight From Massive Social Experiment Could Sway Voting, Spending and Other Behavioron August 2, 2022 at 6:29 pm
It will certainly affirm the inordinate value of our close friends, especially those we know online and in the real world. Consequently our collective and individual behavior in all these spheres ...
- The shocking rape trial that galvanised Spain’s feminists – and the far righton April 22, 2019 at 10:00 pm
The ‘wolf pack’ case inspired widespread anger and protests against sexual assault laws in Spain. But the anti-feminist backlash that followed has helped propel the far right to its biggest gains sinc ...
- Xiao Wangon June 12, 2016 at 5:48 pm
Online Social Networks and Media 15 ... "The Role of Future Orientation, Cultural Worldviews, Attitudinal Motivations, and Collective Efficacy in Predicting Policy Support to Alleviate Global Warming.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Predicting collective online behaviour
The Latest Bing News on:
- Even the best behavior has limitson September 18, 2022 at 12:06 am
Even a girl on best behavior has limits. Could it be that I fainted due to an overdose on the alternation of cherry Starbursts and Stacy's Five Cheese Pita Thins? I am obsessed with the latter.
- Benching bad behavior: OSAA speaks out against harassment of officialson September 16, 2022 at 7:08 pm
The Oregon School Activities Association has a message for fans of high school sports: stop harassing the referees or more games will be canceled.
- Nearly half of employees admit to risky online behavior to avoid login hassleson September 15, 2022 at 7:31 am
In response to this, 43% of the respondents admitted to “dangerous online behaviors”, including sharing login details and offloading or abandoning tasks to avoid the relentless task of managing online ...
- Housing Wealth and Online Consumer Behavior: Evidence from Xiong'an New Area in Chinaon September 15, 2022 at 5:00 am
We provide new evidence on the causal effects of housing wealth on consumer behavior. To overcome the empirical challenge of non-random housing wealth changes, we exploit the unexpected announcement ...
- Spectrum Labs Announces First-Ever Healthy Behavior AI for Online Gamingon September 10, 2022 at 10:25 pm
a leader in natural language AI whose tools scale content moderation of online platforms, today announced the launch of the first-ever Healthy Behavior AI, working in close partnership with Together ...
- Spectrum Labs teams with IMVU to use AI to identify healthy online behavioron September 8, 2022 at 6:58 am
Register today. Spectrum Labs has created natural language AI that can parse online text for toxic behavior. And now it has figured out how to identify healthy online behavior and reward it.
- Spectrum Labs Announces First-Ever Healthy Behavior AI for Online Gamingon September 8, 2022 at 6:54 am
Get 7 Days Free Sign In Sign In Topics ...