Research conducted with a large new battery unveiled today in Oregon will help make the Northwest’s and the nation’s electric system smarter and more efficient, officials said at a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Portland General Electric‘s 5-megawatt, lithium-ion energy storage system was shared with the public today at the utility’s Salem Smart Power Center in South Salem, Ore. The energy storage facility is part of PGE’s contribution to the Battelle-led Pacific Northwest Smart Grid Demonstration Project. Half of PGE’s $23-million portion of the regional project was paid for with U.S. Department of Energy funds. The regional demonstration is a five-year, $178-million project that launched in 2010.
“The Pacific Northwest Smart Grid Demonstration Project is a successful public-private partnership involving 17 organizations across five Northwest states,” said Patricia Hoffman, assistant secretary for DOE’s Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, which oversees regional smart grid demonstration projects. “It is a highly innovative project demonstrating transactive energy management, which is a promising, cost-effective way to integrate variable renewable energy, energy storage and demand response at scale. The celebration of the Salem Smart Power Center makes it clear that Oregon is helping to lead the way on energy storage commercialization and grid modernization.”
Hoffman was a featured speaker at today’s ceremony, as was Ron Melton, who directs the regional demonstration project for Battelle.
The battery is part of a highly reliable, localized power zone called a microgrid that will enable about 500 southeast Salem customers to tap into a power reserve during electricity disruptions such as blackouts. The battery and microgrid are examples of the innovative technologies and methods being tested through the Pacific Northwest Smart Grid Demonstration Project.
The energy storage system will respond to regional grid conditions with the help of a key aspect of the demonstration called transactive control. Transactive control is based on technology from DOE’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, which is managed by Battelle. The technology helps power producers and users decide how much of the area’s power will be consumed, when and where. This is done when producers and users automatically respond to signals representing future power costs and planned energy consumption. The cost signals originate at Battelle’s Electricity Infrastructure Operations Center in Richland, Wash. They are updated every five minutes and sent to the project’s participating utilities, including PGE.
The automated signals allow project participants to make local decisions on how their piece of the smart grid project can support local and regional grid needs. Participants are now gathering data to measure how the signal can help deliver electricity more effectively, help better integrate wind power onto the power grid and more. The Salem battery will use the signal to coordinate its charge and discharge cycles with the power grid’s supply and demand.
The Latest Bing News on:
Smart power grid
- Evergy Signs Smart Meter Agreement with Landis+Gyron February 25, 2021 at 8:39 am
13-year contract extends smart grid services agreement, includes addition of advanced meters to update and expand grid management capabilities.
- The U of M’s Gabriel Chan on why Texas’ energy grid failed — and what it means for Minnesotaon February 25, 2021 at 7:29 am
Though a similar grid failure in Minnesota is highly unlikely, “I wouldn't want to say it's impossible,” says Chan.
- Ameren Missouri projects underway to make sure power grid is reliableon February 24, 2021 at 8:03 pm
Ameren Missouri’s Smart Energy Plan has completed approximately 1,500 projects in the last two years. The projects are intended to modernize and upgrade through investments across the state ...
- Hitachi ABB Power Grids drives digital transformation of the power sector with new Smart Digital Substationon February 24, 2021 at 1:32 am
The Smart Digital Substation forms part of a new wave of innovation that began with the recently announced integration of Hitachi ABB Power Grids' Digital Enterprise software into Hitachi's Lumada ...
- Hitachi ABB Power Grids Drives Power Sector Upgrades with Smart Digital Substationson February 23, 2021 at 8:26 am
Hitachi ABB Power Grids launched its Smart Digital Substation offering which brings together digital substation technology with the predictive, prescriptive and prognostic capabilities of Hitachi’s ...
- Smart Grid Market | Strategic Assessment By Top Players | By Kenneth Researchon February 22, 2021 at 5:41 am
Global Smart Grid Market is valued approximately USD 28.77 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to grow with a healthy ...
- Opinion: 7 smart ways Texas can stop power blackouts - once and for allon February 21, 2021 at 1:00 am
As early as this Thursday, the Legislature will begin hearings on the rolling blackouts that crippled much of the state during last week’s record cold snap. Lawmakers can save themselves the trouble.
- NIST updates smart grid frameworkon February 19, 2021 at 12:39 pm
This latest version outlines a new strategy for developing interoperable devices and equipment and provides guidance and resources for grid cybersecurity.
- New NIST framework strives for cleaner, more secure power gridon February 18, 2021 at 12:27 pm
Whether it's a new set of solar panels glistening on a neighbor's roof or a freshly installed smart thermostat at home, burgeoning renewable and smart technologies represent steps toward a sustainable ...
- Building a smart and resilient grid moves up the to-do list after Texas power failureson February 18, 2021 at 4:00 am
The claim that frozen wind turbines caused Texas’ harrowing power outages turned out to be all hat, no cattle.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Smart power grid
The Latest Bing News on:
Lithium-ion energy storage system
- Thermo Fisher Scientific announces new control system for makers of lithium-ion batterieson February 25, 2021 at 10:54 am
The company says the new measurement and control system will help battery manufacturers improve quality and speed.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Introduces New In-line Measurement and Control System for Manufacturers of Lithium-ion Batterieson February 25, 2021 at 5:27 am
The production of lithium-ion batteries is rapidly increasing, driven by the growth in demand for electric vehicles and renewable energy storage. Lithium-ion battery manufacturers are seeking to scale ...
- AutoGrid Deploys AutoGrid Flex for Total’s Largest Battery-Based Energy Storage Project in Franceon February 23, 2021 at 11:00 am
AutoGrid, the market leader in AI-powered flexibility management software for the energy industry, deploys award-winning AutoGrid Flex™ Virtual Power ...
- Pylontech Meets Booming Global Energy Storage Demand with Dedicated Innovative R&Don February 21, 2021 at 11:00 pm
One of the world's leading providers of Energy Storage System (ESS) solutions Pylon Technologies Co., Ltd. ("Pylontech" or the "Company"), has announced that despite a tight schedule, they are on ...
- Advanced Battery Energy Storage Systems Market is in huge demand | Hitachi, General Electric, Toshiba, Siemenson February 19, 2021 at 7:49 am
Click To get SAMPLE PDF of Global Advanced Battery Energy Storage Systems Market (Including Full TOC, Table & Figures) Global Advanced Battery Energy Storage Systems Market and Competitive Analysis ...
- Lead-based anode for lithium batteries doubles energy storage capacityon February 16, 2021 at 6:38 pm
When it comes to expanding the capabilities of today’s lithium-ion batteries, all kinds of alternative materials are on the table, from salt, to silicon, to microwaved plastics. Owing to its abundance ...
- New Energy Vehicle Lithium Ion Battery Market to Witness Excellent Growth | Current Impact Unlocks new opportunitieson February 16, 2021 at 9:03 am
The diverse aspects of the Global New Energy Vehicle Lithium Ion Battery Market have been covered in this study The study focuses on a plethora of growth opportunities associated with the New Energy ...
- Siemens Energy delivers energy storage solution for Maersk Drilling jack-up drilling rigson February 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
The Maersk Intrepid and Maersk Integrator jack-up rigs were retrofitted with Siemens Energy’s BlueVault lithium-ion energy storage system.
- Global Battery Energy Storage Systems Market 2021 Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Trending Regions by 2027on February 10, 2021 at 9:15 pm
The effect of the multiple market factors, such as Covid-19, drivers, restraints, and opportunities, challenges key issues SWOT analysis, and technology forecasting is illustrated in ...
- Braille Energy Systems Inc. Announces Lithium-Ion Battery Solution as Replacement for Lead Acid Batteries in Most Electric Vehicleson February 10, 2021 at 10:50 am
Coincides With Major Electric Vehicle Manufacturer Discussing the Replacement of 12-Volt Lead Acid Battery With 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery OTTAWA, ON / ACCESSWIRE / ...