Plasma cutters could make surgery less bloody
In medicine, plasma usually refers to the liquid component of blood. Now scientists are researching how to better harness the plasma found in stars and lightning—the fourth fundamental state of matter, alongside solids, liquids and gases—to cut into the body like a blowtorch for bloodless surgery.
Since the early 20th century, surgeons have used sparks of plasma to zap warts and other malignant tissues. Late in that century researchers began investigating how jets of plasma might be used to carve up flesh just as industrial plasma cutters have carved up metal since the 1960s. These plasma scalpels would cauterize flesh as they slice. “It’s like a lightsaber,” says Washington, D.C., surgeon Jerome Canady, who invented one of the first surgical plasma cutters.
Internal bleeding can be lethal, and finding ways to prevent it can be potentially lifesaving. Minimizing the need for blood transfusions can also be vital, especially on the battlefield—U.S. Special Operations Command field-tested surgical plasma knives in 2008.
A plasma cutter works by streaming pressurized gas such as argon through a narrow channel, where it acquires an electrical charge, transforming it into a blade of plasma traveling more than 1,500 miles per hour. Surgical plasma cutters typically use relatively cold plasmas, hot enough to cauterize tissue on direct contact but only heat surrounding cells to about 97 degrees Fahrenheit. “We can get it more precise than a scalpel blade,” Canady says. “You get 0.4 to 0.8 millimeter [0.02 to 0.03 inch] of collateral damage with conventional scalpels, but just 0.1 to 0.2 millimeter [0.004 to 0.008 inch] with plasma cutters.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Best Plasma Cutter for Precise Metalworkingon December 6, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Choosing the right plasma cutter can be a daunting task, but don’t fret. This buying guide will see you through the process and ensure you get the perfect plasma cutter that suits your needs and ...
- 12 Highest-Paying Plasma Donation Centers In 2024on December 3, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Are you looking for other ways to earn extra money? Why not consider donating your plasma? You’re not just making some extra cash but you are helping your community at the same time. Get ready to know ...
- Russia's New Scalpel UAV Has One Major Upside to Deadly Lancet Droneon November 20, 2023 at 5:11 am
Reports that Russian units are using Scalpel UAVs in Ukraine come as one U.S. drone manufacturer that supplies Kyiv told Newsweek swarms of drones could soon be deployed on the battlefield in the war.
- 'New smart scalpel is efficient and knows when a surgeon is ready to work'on November 19, 2023 at 7:19 am
Since we already have virtual surgery to train surgeons in mastering intricate robotic techniques, the arrival of scalpels with built-in sensors to streamline training for surgeons doesn’t ...
- Russian troops used new kamikaze drone Scalpel in Ukraine: What is known about iton November 17, 2023 at 11:28 pm
Scalpel Drone Features A Russian single-launch unmanned aerial vehicle designed to engage ground targets. The drone is suitable for most ammunition used by Russian troops, with a payload weight of ...
- Ethereum’s rollups are ‘gold standard’ but Plasma needs a revisit — Buterinon November 14, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Plasma, a once-prominent Ethereum layer-2 scaling solution, should be revisited by teams currently working on zero-knowledge (ZK) Ethereum Virtual Machines (EVMs), said Ethereum co-founder Vitalik ...
- Hold Scalpel stock illustrationson July 25, 2022 at 8:41 pm
hand in medical glove holding a scalpel icon hand in medical glove holding a scalpel icon- vector illustration Doctor Hand holding scalpel,Surgical drawing vintage style on white background Doctor ...
- Burning plasmaon February 16, 2022 at 4:21 am
A visualization of high energy particles, in the form of plasma, flowing through a tokamak-type reactor. (Photo: Shutterstock) In our sun’s core, extreme temperatures and the immense pressure created ...
- Surgeon Scalpel stock illustrationson June 26, 2021 at 4:46 pm
Doctor Hand holding scalpel,Surgical drawing vintage style on... Simple Set of Medical Related Vector Line Icons. Contains such Icons as Doctor, Ultrasound, Case History and more. Editable Stroke.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Plasma Scalpel” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Urgent call for London blood donors this Christmason December 8, 2023 at 11:01 pm
Blood donors in London are urgently needed to help bolster blood stocks during the winter period, the NHS said. Over the next two weeks, there are more than 4,000 available appointments at London's ...
- Derek Hough reveals his wife, Hayley Erbert, had emergency brain surgery after burst blood vesselon December 7, 2023 at 4:20 pm
Derek Hough's wife, Hayley Erbert, was diagnosed with a cranial hematoma from a burst blood vessel, Hough said.
- Woman Receives Rare Bloodless Heart Transplant in Accordance with Jehovah's Witness Beliefs After Waiting 18 Yearson December 6, 2023 at 5:32 pm
We may not have the same faith or beliefs as they do, but we respect their beliefs," said Dr. Valluvan Jeevanandam, who performed the transplant ...
- UK surgeons perform first bloodless liver cancer surgeryon December 6, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Nagy Habib, head of liver surgery at the Hammersmith Hospital ... It would also reduce demand for blood supplies. 'The medical community is in a panic about the growing problem of getting enough ...
- Experts call for more children to have tonsils removed - as study shows the surgery reduces behavioral problems and even blood pressureon December 5, 2023 at 8:57 am
Doctors are calling for more parents to get their children's tonsils surgically removed in order to improve their sleep and quality of life, and reduce their risk of heart conditions down the line.
- Norfolk plumber has world's first 'blood powder' surgeryon December 2, 2023 at 8:00 pm
A plumber from Norwich has become the first person in the world to be treated with groundbreaking 'powdered blood'.
- Persuasive Essay On Bloodless Surgeryon August 1, 2023 at 8:58 pm
However, when a person refuses to accept blood as an option for a much needed surgery, they are often told that they are not being reasonable or even that without a transfusion they won’t survive.
- Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgeryon July 19, 2023 at 2:27 am
Here are some clear, easy-to-understand definitions of terms used to describe bloodless medicine and surgery. Our team can explain more about any of these terms during your appointment. Albumin is a ...
- Case Study: Vascular Surgeryon July 19, 2023 at 1:09 am
A minimally invasive, endovascular repair was chosen as the ideal treatment method since the expected blood loss is decreased dramatically compared to traditional open aortic surgery. The surgery was ...
- Blood Transfusion in Cardiac Surgeryon November 26, 2007 at 6:02 pm
The lack of benefit from blood transfusions in decreasing these complications might be explained because hemoglobin levels rarely limit oxygen delivery given the transfusion triggers that predominate ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Bloodless surgery” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]